Old gamers --- need your help [Magazine question]

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
EGM and Gamepro used to run these one page advertisements/contests that offered an "ultimate game setup" or something of the sort....

all you had to do was fill in the blanks in a Jumble-ish sort of word game and send it in...

ANYONE who read EGM remembers these things, because the setup was EVERYONES wet dream...

does anyone remember the SPECIFICS of this advertisement?
or better yet...can anyone find me a pic?

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
NM, found it

ugr01.jpg

for those curious

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I remember seeing those back in the day and thinking "scam."

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I wonder if they drove around in a white van selling whatever was left from "that job".

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I forgot all about those ads. I remember drooling over those setups every month. I used to fill out the word puzzle but never sent it in.

I remember seeing those back in the day and thinking "scam."

I didn't think anything was a scam back when I was 10. I probably had no idea what a scam was. It was the holy grail at the time haha.

Last edited:

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I never filled it out but I would drool over the set up.

Back then I just had a crappy 19" CRT and used RF baby!

:D

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I wonder if they drove around in a white van selling whatever was left from "that job".

I had a pair of hipster douche bags roll up on me in a white van selling some shitty speakers.

I told them no, and they asked if I would swap my Figaro chain for a pair of them.

Really?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I remember seeing those, and they would update the pic to include the latest consoles whenever a new console launches. But whenever I'm thinking of sending an entry in, sirens go off in my head - there were never any announcements of previous winners.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
There was someone on this board that made it to the other levels and won some prize money. I think he was hosed out of winnings and was still waiting for a third payout.

Around a year ago I tried to find information on the the guy that ran this racket. I think the dude does real estate out of Washington State or California now. The company has been documented with the BBB and others looking for their prize money have posted information online.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yeah, it never occured to me it was a scam as a kid, but I do remember thinking that the puzzle was ridiculously easy and pretty much the same each month, so...

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
I remember these. I actually did one of these because it was so easy and sent it in. Thought it was a fraud. Sure enough, they really did sent you a new set of puzzles and they progressively were a bit harder but still simple. I got to the second to last puzzle thinking "Fuck this, tired of sending cash anyway." Just let it run out but I always wondered if anyone ever got anything from them.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I have been posting the following message in every forum I can find online to let people see my experience with this "contest"

Hi everyone that entered the baindramage contest.I in the past I had entered this contest when it was known as Pandemonium Inc. at that time I didn't win but when I entered the second time I won all 3 finals.Thats where the fight began.At that time Rick the contest owner lived in Minnesota and proceeded to move to Oregon with no forwarding address to me.After 3 or 4 months I tracked him down to where he is now and confronted him over the phone.He gave me a sob story that he had no money was going through a divorce and had no money to pay me.I didn't care I wanted my winnings and after more phone calls and heated arguments he sent me a small portion of what I was owed about a fourth of the total.It took almost a year from when I won to when I received even that much.You can imagine my surprise when a month later I noticed the same contest advertised again only this time under the name Puzzle-Me.So to see what would happen I entered again and I won 2 of the 3 finals (computer and Home Theater).At the same time he proceeded to run another contest which my brother entered and won.Once again months went by with no prize winnings.Again I phoned him and this time he told me he was declaring bankruptcy and would'nt be able to pay me a dime.I thought it was a lie but a month later we received court documents from Oregon asking us to put a claim in but as he had no assets left in all likelyhood we would receive nothing so we didn't bother.In another words he ran back to back contests in which he collected money from start to finish from everyone that entered he then didn't pay a dime for either contest then declared bankruptcy how perfect a scam is that? . Well imagine my suprise when about a year later the exact same contest contest was advertised yet again but know under the Rattlebrain.This time I couldn't enter because I had just turned 30 but I kept track of his company looking for problems through the better business bureau and sure enough a complaint was lodged against this contest as well.I hope this time will be different for whoever wins but from my own personal experienc I have my doubts it will.Also our winnings scores ranged from about 17,500 to a high of 18,418 anything under 17,000 unless the high letters are x or j will in all likelyhood not win.I hope this helps wondering about this contest.One more thought on this. No one would know whether this contest was legitimate or not except the winner.Hundreds maybe thousands of people enter but only 1 to 3 people win.You do receive a winners copy but as 99.99% of the time it will be higher than your score(unless you win) the contest will seem legit as there is no second place prize.As far as ties go, in the video game contest there was a tie in April 10 1995 the score was 17,619.50 this occured when the contest was run under the name Pandemonium, so even that statement is false