Old Nintendo (NES) cheat books

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Trying to find a particular Nintendo cheat book. I don't think it was officially licensed and it was paperback, novel size. It had some crudely drawn wolf dude on it I think shooting a laser gun, memory may be bad been about 20 something years but I'm pretty sure it was some wolf type dude.

It looked similar to this:

nintendo-game-boy-secrets-volume-2-cheats-tips.jpg

But it wasn't any of these:

secrets-of-the-games-nintendo-games-secrets-prima-guide-books-nes-hints-tips-d2f2be3ed2fce8c7638310b7cb863c36.jpg

It was the same type of deal though.

If anyone has any clue what book I'm talking about I'd appreciate the title.

It had stuff like passwords for Solar Jetman, Contra, etc... and things of that nature.

Thanks.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I just checked and the only one of these that I have is the third one in the second pic you posted. I have some other NES cheat books from back in da day, but none of them sound like the one you're looking for.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I was afraid that wasn't it, because a wolf shooting a laser sounds much better than this lame cover, lol. But it was the only wolf I could find :p

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
s-l1600.jpg

What in the shit is that thing on the cover? Who drew that? It's fucking horrifying.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Haha ya, I remember there being some codes in there that didn't even work. The cover is super ghetto.

I just want it to go back down memory lane.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I really like getting old guides, but stuff like those I more or less have avoided. I would grab them for a dollar or two at most locally but that would be it as the cover is awful and the insides are questionable. The only third party guide I ever found much use in and probably why they have the Nintendo license now to be official are the Prima guides like in the original examples. Sometimes Brady does alright too as I picked up a $2 140pg~ Gameboy Secret Codes for GB+GBC which is fairly useful.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I have a bunch of these unofficial strategy guides and password books in a box in my storage room. I can't ever bring myself to give them shelf space as they're basically useless in this post-Gamefaqs age. But I also can't get rid of them, because I horde books...

I recall this particular book, though. I probably have it... >_>

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
It depends on the book actually. Some are very much more useful than gamefaqs. Much of what GF has are awful text files and if you are lucky some detached imagery of dungeons someone makes in word or excel usually, sometimes you get a color 'area/castle' map in color though. Take that, then pull out any of those old Official Nintendo Players guides from the NES/GB/SNES era...blows them out of the water. Full multi page spreads of each stage or area, all the gear, where to use things and how, the secrets and more. Sure some text there to explain things, but kept easy and brief as the images really sell it. Those will always beat out gamefaqs with the minimalist approach. I find for a larger game if it exists, I'll either download a PDF or if I can buy a guide for it as they're infinitely more useful due to the production standards alone.

See for yourself I have a lot of guides: http://tanooki.byethost16.com/strategyguides.html

I keep them in this 40-50 year old 2 shelf wood 2 door cabinet that closes up all in order, easy access right under the TV if needed.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I remember quite a few codes in some books that turned out to be fairy tales.
There was supposedly a way to unlock Splinter as a playable character in TMNT II on the NES, totally untrue. It was on most websites for years.
Spread Laser on Contra...total bullshit. never existed.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
True enough, yet those lies helped sell more books by word of mouth before the internet was there to shame liars and cheats. Sheng Long would not be impressed by being so badly debunked had SF2 come out about 5 years later.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Jeff Rovin of the "How to Win at Nintendo Games" series never played the games. He just watched his kids and their friends play.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Haha ya, I remember there being some codes in there that didn't even work. The cover is super ghetto.

I just want it to go back down memory lane.

Liar, you want to cheat to beat Contra :keke:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This kind of reminded me of something a buddy of mind did years ago.

He was a die hard NES guy, sometime around 88-89 he made this home made "cheat" book compiled of every cheat that was found in all of the combined gaming magazines of the time. It was actually pretty sweet and he'd update it twice a year.