OnLive is the New Dreamcast

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Also DIDO wireless is still hilarious a year later. "If my extremely optimistic idea for wireless in which every radio constructively intereferes to create an enormous signal bears fruit, then OnLive can use it and it won't lag! Simple as that!"

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If there were an ad that claimed people with low end PCs can get performance comparable to high end PCs, it's probably malware.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
If there were an ad that claimed people with low end PCs can get performance comparable to high end PCs, it's probably malware.

Please count to twenty between finishing a post and hitting "submit reply." Please be sure you want to go through with it.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Not that the news is exactly surprising, but what really took me off guard was some of the things that the article's writer said regarding OnLive:

VentureBeat Article said:
It was a revolutionary idea, and we certainly thought OnLive would turn the game world upside down when it came out of stealth in 2009.
Uh... really? "Upside down"? Are tech-aficionados really that willing to believe that new ideas are going to out-wit established methods?

VentureBeat Article said:
At one point, OnLive was valued at $1.8 billion. If it had executed better on its plans to recruit gamers across the world to pay for its instant-play subscription service, that valuation wouldn’t have been considered crazy.
Again, a company which kinda came out of the woodwork and seemed to hope for the best, then being rated at nearly two billion dollars is... placing too much faith in electronics, it seems. There's video game companies which have been operating for decades, steadily proving their ability to consistently produce new ideas and adapt to changing times, and they aren't always rated so high.

It just creates the question as to how much clout this "technophile" mentality carries in the world of economics, given that people (who may or may not know anything whatsoever about the electronics industries) may be quick to believe that their opinions are rooted in more than idealistic optimism. Okay, so OnLive was a cool idea in a way, but did it offer what it needed to offer in order to beat-out online software download websites and continued brick-and-mortar stores?--Did such a premise even matter to some people?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
People are excitable about technology, or just excitable in general. How many cool ideas (whether you yourself were into them or not, they were cool regardless) had a vocal hype machine and just fizzled? Not too surprising. Especially from technology journalists. They get caught up in the hype pretty easily.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Onlive had a hype machine? I bet the average "casual" gamer doesn't even know what it is.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
ya im hearing reports that almost all of their staff was let go today

kind of sucks. I think they were truly a bit too ahead of their time in technology

and a bit too behind the times in marketing.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Remember, launching with OnLive was one of the draws for the Ouya. So if the new parent company isn't interested in continuing the service, that's one feature evaporated already.

I played some onlive demos via my Xperia Play on wifi and it was pretty cool seeing those graphics on a handheld device. I am on board with the idea of the technology. A service like OnLive would do wonders for bridging the AAA gap that might be associated with the Ouya, etc.