Ooooops (PS3 HD upgrade woes)

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Well I may have fucked up a bit...

I'm in the process of upgrading my PS3's HD. So I took out the old one (easy as pie), but when I went to unscrew the old drive from the housing, I stripped one of the screws a bit. I wasn't even applying a lot of pressure... What are they made out of, peanut butter? Sheesh.

Anyways, I'll have to go buy a proper sized screw driver tomorrow I guess, seeming as how mine's too big apparently (heh heh). Here's hoping it won't be a problem to unscrew that shit, though I suppose I could always order another housing from Sony or something, I guess. Still. What a pain.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
As long as it's not the threads of the screw, just use some needle-nose pliers to grip the screw and that should do it.

HeartlessNinny

As long as it's not the threads of the screw, just use some needle-nose pliers to grip the screw and that should do it.

Yeah, that's plan B. It's a good thing I don't plan on ever upgrading again (320 GB ought to be more than enough), since using a messed up screw again is less than ideal.

Believe it or not, I'm a fairly handy guy... But those fuckers stripped faster than any other screw I've ever seen. I wonder what they're made of.

HeartlessNinny

Fucking infuriating....

So I borrow a tiny screwdriver from my granddad and head home pleased as punch, eager to get this shit done.

The proper sized screwdriver stripped that fucking screw bare in one goddamned twist. Seriously. Semi-formed Jell-O is made out of sterner stuff than these fuckers.

I tried to use pliers but the edges of the screws are round, and getting a grip on them is impossible. Besides the fact that they're made out of Play Doh, those screws are in there ridiculously tightly.

What the fucking fuck. This fucking shit is never easy, ever. Why the fuck was Sony so cheap that they had to use the shittiest screws I've ever seen in my fucking life. A plastic screw would have been tougher. I swear to fuck I'm tempted to just destroy the whole works with a fucking sledgehammer.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
I had the same problem with one of the screws as well. Didn't strip the other 3 but 1 of them just went on me. Seemed that the one lone screw was a different material.

I ended up using pliers to slowly turn the screw to get it out.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
The one nice thing about the 360's HDD is how easy it is to switch it out.

Have a beer, cool off then go slow with the pliers...all you can really do.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
get a pair of vice grips.

Orthopaedic%20Stainless%20Steel%20Vise%20Grip%2020cm.gif

never not good to have around.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
The one nice thing about the 360's HDD is how easy it is to switch it out.

Have a beer, cool off then go slow with the pliers...all you can really do.

Yeah thats the only good thing about the 360s hdd. The price they charge you for them is crazy. When the 120gb drives first came out they were $179, i've never spent over a dollar a gig, ever.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
ph come on its easy just use the correct tools

HeartlessNinny

I wound up going over to my cousin's house (who's a bit of a tech nerd — that's his job, actually) and he drilled out the screws for me with a dremel tool. The downside is that I can't use the old drive again without mounting it differently somehow.

But at least he managed to get that shit out of there for me. He agreed that it wasn't just me — those screws had the consistency of butter on a hot day. There was no way I'd be able to get them out with pliers, either — at least not without filing them a bit.

All's well that ends well though. I'm in the process of restoring my old data right now. At least that part went off without a hitch. Sheesh.