Opethian... I need answers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
SO... Opes...

I have heard that you promised to do something for the community as part of a transaction.... with a fellow member...

It was sold to you with the STRICT understanding you would dump the game...

You promised this as part of the deal... for the community.... BUT you promptly sold the same game without carrying out the required service that was part of the initial transaction...

I would SERIOUSLY like this addressing...

The forum is built on a sense of community... and I do not appreciate shit like this happening...

Friendships apart... this strikes at the core of what I view the forum to be...

xROTx

PS. Let's say... I aint very happy at this current time...

...and leave it at that..

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Shit just got real. 4th of July Special.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
double post

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Rot PM'd me and asked that I respond. Here is what I know.

I had a copy of DDP DOJ, with a title screen of DDP III. I posted a pic of it and asked if anyone knew anything about it. In my limited time with it - I couldn't decipher changes, while I love shmups, I am not an expert by any stretch.

I immediately began receiving PM's asking me to sell; mostly from members I was unfamiliar with at the time.

I don't recall timelines - at one point both Ope and Dubdub (now MisterFalcon) had messaged about it. Dub asked if I do sell and it is to someone beside him or his group, to please dump the rom first. I told him I had no idea how to do that, but if I sold, i'd either sell to someone who would dump it when they sold it, or I would send to him or Fox1 first and they could dump, and then ship to new owner.

Again, I don't recall timelines exact, I think it was a few weeks later I received a PM from Ope asking if I was interested in selling. I told him Dub and a few others had shown interest too and I wasn't frantic on selling, but I wasn't needing to keep either as I had DDP DOJ already. I asked if he had any AES games from my want list and he did. We agreed on Robo Army and I think it was $250-275 range in cash. IIRC my basis for value was DDP DOJ plus $40-50 for uniqueness. I asked if he'd be able to dump it and my memory is he said he had a eprom burner or whatever it's called on order, or being ordered. I told him that was sweet and if he had a hard time at all that Fox or Dub would help him out. We shipped our respective packages. Dub PM'd literally the day we had agreed to terms and offered $600 IIRC. I told him that it was on the way to Ope and he was aware of the requests to dump the rom, and if he needed help, would reach out.

Also, oddly/ironically, I received a PM from mmmsadda the exact same day - my memory is he had one, or had a bead on one, and was wondering what I valued mine at. I told him I had offers of $600 from legit members and more from a few unknowns, so probably safe to sell his/buy his in the $600-650 range.

This was months ago and I hadn't heard anything. I assumed all was well. I'm not in the arcade preservation scene and I am incapable of installing a working version of MAME, so my personal interest was not vested, per se.

Fox PM'd me a few days ago and said Ope had broke off communications with him. He said Ope told him he sold the board before dumping because he was tired of being bothered about it. The eprom eraser was in Opes cart but he never followed through with buying it. I told Fox that sounds really unfortunate and had I known it would go down that way, I would have done something differently. If there's more to the other side of the story, I don't knw. This is what Fox told me from his messages with Ope. I only know that version, I haven't spoken to Ope since the trade, which was a good few months ago now. This is what I know.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Real talk, you don't know how to install mame? It is literally download mame from their site and download the rom, put it in the roms folder. Only problem you should have is finding the correct roms for a given game as the dickheads over their like to change what is required for each rom.

sucks it didn't get dumped, but this is another reason on why you should do it yourself. Even if you don't benefit from it, preservation helps prevent situations like this from happening. Sounds to me like Ope had the logic of most proto/rare board revision whores and had no reason to dump the rom. In doing so its "perceived value" would go down.

In any case bad form on Ope.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Thanks for posting Mike. From what I know all of the above sounds right. My purchase intentions were in fact for dumping/preservation efforts. I'm not even really in MAME/the dumping scene either, but I would have really liked to see that happen, and was trying to help move it along by getting it in the hands of people who can help.

Which btw if the new owner of either boards sold wants to help please let myself or Fox1 know.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Yah...

This is what I heard too...

LOOK lads.. and the occassional pseudo-lassie... to me the scene is like family..

YEAH... I get into trouble a lot and some of my peers think I take it far too personally... but all in all.. my view is... "I've been around a long LONG time and the sense of community is what makes the effort and ballache worth it..."

Let's admit it... who would wanna mod this madhouse?

In that respect, I like to think that others would extend the same sort of courtesy to others... and so when something is promised/said/implied from one good member to another... I genuinely expect it to happen..

Mike is a good seller/member/buyer and all round nice bloke... and I have known Opes a long time...

Mike sold the game to Opes... and I am not saying he could not do what he wanted with it... I am saying that your words have meaning and you should stick to them... here and in real life...

So I didn't expect to be put in a position where I need to tell someone I like off for something that seems like common sense to me...

xROTx

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
A lot of things in this thread sound like a bad dream. Goddamn timelines. Goddamn romz.

neotucker

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Rot,
Sorry to post on a thread that I'm not involved in but been in talks with Chris/GadgetUK and he's helping me with my NeoSD he gave me a link to a download but it requires a password apparently, he told me to ask you, if thats OK?
Again sorry to post this here, did want to PM but as you say you don't answer and didn't/dont no another way to reach out!
Regards.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Rot,
Sorry to post on a thread that I'm not involved in but been in talks with Chris/GadgetUK and he's helping me with my NeoSD he gave me a link to a download but it requires a password apparently, he told me to ask you, if thats OK?
Again sorry to post this here, did want to PM but as you say you don't answer and didn't/dont no another way to reach out!
Regards.

WTF...

I am in chat mofo...

xROTx

PSA. Better have Flash installed on your PC/Laptop...

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
everything stated is true. there is no dump
happy holidays

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
happy holidays

WELL... way to throw away your rep man...

No apologies... no reasons... just that statement...

Market privileges revoked...

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
happy holidays

Funny how someone with a top tier collection can give so few fucks for the place he gets a lot of his stuff from. He doesn't even give a "Hey guys, sorry for the fuck up. Here is my explanation."

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Well who did you sell it too? Maybe they would be interested in having it dumped?

He can't reply... he has no access now to the market forums... and the PM system...

Funny how someone with a top tier collection can give so few fucks for the place he gets a lot of his stuff from. He doesn't even give a "Hey guys, sorry for the fuck up. Here is my explanation."

That's really all i wanted to hear... cuz I liked the fook...

xROTx

PS. Why the fook didn't he just apologise... and we move on...

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Ope has a quirky sense of humor, which is part of his charm and why we all love him.

The way he responded was a poor decision for sure...but maybe it was too premature to restrict his access since now he won't be able to reply at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.