Opinions on children in Samurai Shodown games?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I never liked them. I get why they were included but felt they were unnecessary. How about you, has the thought ever crossed your mind?

(looks like I can't make a poll)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Kinta in Power Instinct is evil beyond description and KOF Bao can go straight to hell.

There is something inherently hilarious about kids/teenagers beating the living shit out of adults much more experienced/seasoned at fighting though. But, back to the question, no, it doesn't bother me in SS, I care more about character designs, move sets, and effectiveness, than a fictional fighter's age.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Never been a fan of Rimururu or Shizumaru. They’re kids, and yeah, they have weapons, but it’s just not going to happen, period. You know how many umbrella and butter knife wielding kids I could kill using a katana? It’s probably infinite, like Genghis Khan level. But in SSIII? Sure, a couple of kids could individually wreck a guy who has been training for 20+ years. Sure. Why not.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I honestly didn’t really think much of it back in the day, but as I got older I did find it a little odd…until I saw Ryoko Tani absolutely destroy folks at the young age of 14. She was an olympic hero and extremely popular in Japan (hence why pastiche characters of her started appearing in fighting games; i.e. World Heroes 2, Fighter’s History, etc).

F35B9A6C-F7FD-4A94-A8E3-8E1D52B4FD5D.png
tumblr_otg4erRbDS1qd9g7oo1_1280.png

After learning about Ryoko and her real-life inspiration, the other younger characters that started appearing in the SS games (especially the latter ones) just didn’t bother me as much after that lol

Last edited:

@M

20 Year Member
My take home lesson from those videos is that Judo is the art of tripping people and making them fall down.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
My take home lesson from those videos is that Judo is the art of tripping people and making them fall down.
So that's why Putin laughs so much.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Those children can kick some serious arse if you know how to use them and it's just a video game..we suspend reality all the time,no big deal.
What I always wondered was what was up with the baby in the covered horse wagon with those middle eastern fighters in Metal Slug 2/X
BB

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Speaking of Ryoko Tani, there's a young MMA fighter who just made her debut in ONE Championship about a month or two back, Victoria Lee. For those not into martial arts, ONE is a league similar to the UFC. She turned 16 earlier this year. Her older sister Angela Lee is a former champion.
i

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
And no one complained when Mr. Miagi beat the shit out of a bunch of children in Karate Kid. I'll bet most of you fellas cheered him on.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Speaking of Ryoko Tani, there's a young MMA fighter who just made her debut in ONE Championship about a month or two back, Victoria Lee. For those not into martial arts, ONE is a league similar to the UFC. She turned 16 earlier this year. Her older sister Angela Lee is a former champion.
i
I have never been into Special Olympics martial arts. It’s not funny.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Never thought of them as children per se, the art style makes them all look young. Besides, like Big Bear said, it's a video game and 'ass kicking teenagers/kids' are a Japanese trope. Now kids in KoF, that's another story, terrible characters.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I get why they were included...
...to point out to whom those games were actually addressed? If so, then, considering the average age in this thread... it clearly didn't work.

But no, the thought had never crossed my mind while playing Shodown back then. Probably because the appearances of those "kids" seemed so mature that I didn't notice. Back then I never cared for manuals, where the profiles could be found, which was too bad, cause I also missed out on the cool stuff like:

...Yoshiro Tokisada Amakusa. Believed to have been slain in the Tokugawa Era, he has risen from the netherworlds to effect his final ends--destruction of the world and the discovery of a truly good tasting coffee.

Of course, violence in SS was so exuberant and over the top, you couldn't spare a single serious though on it, let alone dwell on the actual age of those charas. It was like poke (one's eye out) or be poked.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Meh, this has never really bothered me. So many characters in Japanese video games are children, not just fighting games. I have just come to expect it after the last 40 years...

@M

20 Year Member
The fuck? Amakusa just wanted a good cup of Joe? Like, if Galford would have told Poppy to stop humping Shiro's leg for a minute, they could have sat down together, had a nice latte, and worked everything out without any violence? Galford could have pointed out to Amakusa that the whole Christian rebellion thing was bullshit and was never going to work and he needed to let go of the hate and Amakusa would counsel Galford that trying to get into underage Ainu maiden's panties wasn't cool and that he should try to bang Charlotte instead. Women hate guys whose clothes are covered with dog hair too, so, Amakusa would help a brother out and rub his perenke stone all over Galford, which works just like a lint brush, to make him presentable to the ladies.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Shizumaru is the best character in the entire series, so no, they don't bother me.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Why don't you post often anymore? Outgrown us or what? Where you been Ollie?
C'mon Aaron, you have to admit that the change this forum undergoes is drastic. I've been wondering about its timing, though. Did by any chance that burned down server farm in Strasbourg initiate it? Anyway, you can't expect regulars to just go on as if nothing happened. Give them, and yours truly, some time to adapt, whole site needs adaption, too. It'll all come together again some day. At least Greg's wish came true and the place is finally mobile friendly.

Speaking of GregN, where is he? Where the hell is the Devil? Where's Gohan seX? Where's Doc? Where's moonshiner Popcorn? Where's... joe8? (hehe). Maybe they're all together at Wasabi's having a ball, right? There's still time for my invitation to arrive, so don't worry: that last dam run of likker haven't been served, yet. But plz... outgrown?! That'll be the day.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The fuck? Amakusa just wanted a good cup of Joe? Like, if Galford would have told Poppy to stop humping Shiro's leg for a minute, they could have sat down together, had a nice latte, and worked everything out without any violence? Galford could have pointed out to Amakusa that the whole Christian rebellion thing was bullshit and was never going to work and he needed to let go of the hate and Amakusa would counsel Galford that trying to get into underage Ainu maiden's panties wasn't cool and that he should try to bang Charlotte instead. Women hate guys whose clothes are covered with dog hair too, so, Amakusa would help a brother out and rub his perenke stone all over Galford, which works just like a lint brush, to make him presentable to the ladies.
The american translations of that period were never faithful to the Japanese text and as if this that already wasn't enough SNK USA has also added an extra factor of 'dementia/memes', which were not originally intended by the original developers at all of Osaka.

Two quick and concise examples:
1) When Joe Higashi meets the Bogard brothers in 'Fatal Fury Special', in Japanese he tells them 'Both of you brothers stand out too much', while in the North American/International version it became 'You guys sure stick out like a gorilla at a lingerie show'.

2) When Krauser is confronted with Geese exclaims 'It seems blood will tell after all', which instead is then became 'Blood is thick, but syrup's thicker. Think about it'.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The american translations of that period were never faithful to the Japanese text and as if this that already wasn't enough SNK USA has also added an extra factor of 'dementia/memes', which were not originally intended by the original developers at all of Osaka.

Two quick and concise examples:
1) When Joe Higashi meets the Bogard brothers in 'Fatal Fury Special', in Japanese he tells them 'Both of you brothers stand out too much', while in the North American/International version it became 'You guys sure stick out like a gorilla at a lingerie show'.

2) When Krauser is confronted with Geese exclaims 'It seems blood will tell after all', which instead is then became 'Blood is thick, but syrup's thicker. Think about it'.
Mao bless those zany translations.

@M

20 Year Member
The US fooked up translations are infinitely better then. They add character and establish that all SNK fighters are crazy funsters.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The US fooked up translations are infinitely better then. They add character and establish that all SNK fighters are crazy funsters.
Imagine if Fatal Fury was released as Legend of the Hungry Wolf in America. Yikes. Nah, I'm grateful the ridiculous translations existed.

It's interesting Mr. Karate II called them 'American translations', because isn't that wrong? The translations were all done in Japan. Hence the horrendous grammar mistakes. I'm sure there's a story behind who did the English translation for Neo-Geo games, but to what extent was SNK America involved?