Opinions on these Saturn 2D fighters

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Groove on Fight - 35.00
Marvel Super Heroes - 25.00
Waku Waku 7 box version w/ ram cart - 30.00

I'm about to buy these imports from a member here and I was just wondering what the general consensus on these 2D fighters are. All opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Sage

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Waku Waku 7 is one my favorites - quirky and fun with tight controls and a very interesting cast.

Marvel Super Heroes is good for mindless fun. Quick paced and flashy. There are lots of other similar Capcom titles out there that are a bit overlapping, but they're all fairly enjoyable.

Haven't really heard of the other one - you're on your own there. :)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Thanks for your opinions. I also bought Vampire Hunter (first DarkStalkers game in Japan?), KOF 95, KOF 97, Sam Sho 4, Galaxy Fight, and X-Men VS. Street Fighter a few days ago too. They haven't arrived yet, but I hope I like them all. The only one of them I've ever played was X-Men VS. Street Fighter, but that was literally ages ago.

Nothing like starting a Saturn collection with a 2D fightin' bang!

K hunter

Kula's Candy
LoneSage said:
Thanks for your opinions. I also bought Vampire Hunter (first DarkStalkers game in Japan?), KOF 95, KOF 97, Sam Sho 4, Galaxy Fight, and X-Men VS. Street Fighter a few days ago too. They haven't arrived yet, but I hope I like them all. The only one of them I've ever played was X-Men VS. Street Fighter, but that was literally ages ago.

Nothing like starting a Saturn collection with a 2D fightin' bang!

that's the second Darkstalkers game. the first one was simply titled "Vampire"

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
If you you have an open mind, and don't mind a surrealistic approach to VS. FIGHTING games then Groove On Fight for $35.00 isn't bad at all. I don't seem to remember in toto, but I believe that game also uses a RAM Cart, though I could be mistaken.

MERCENARY X99 / REMUS SHAGOHOD

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Groove on Fight - 35.00
Marvel Super Heroes - 25.00
Waku Waku 7 box version w/ ram cart - 30.00

I'm about to buy these imports from a member here and I was just wondering what the general consensus on these 2D fighters are. All opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Sage
(Groove on Fight) Purchase
(Marvel Super Heros) Purchase a step above the PS1 port.
(Waku Waku 7) Skip unless you can't 'find it on Aes or MVS.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I believe the Saturn version of WW7 suffers from slowdown and choppy frame-rates.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Actually, pick up the domestic version of Marvel Superheroes for the Saturn. The Japanese version only uses 1 meg of RAM to make the game run smoother while the U.S. version uses 3 megs of RAM. Although even with 3 megs to get better animation and loading, there is some minor loading and the gameplay is a bit slower then the arcade version. Just make sure to pick up the domestic as it is one of the few domestic games superior to the import counterpart.

SSS

neo retired
Waku Waku 7 on Saturn is absolutely terrible. Only pick it up if you want the soundtrack. Pick up Astra Superstars instead.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
groove on fight - superb art and general presentation,so so sprites,meh animations on the saturn

i'd get it anyway because i'm a bit of a power instinct fanboy

first game to have tag in it,if i am not mistaken

Ackula

Mr. Big's Thug
Waku Waku 7 is one of my fav games, but it does suffer from very bad slowdown, choppy animation and I believe smaller sprites than the Neo original. If you have no other way of playing it..go for it its still a fun game and will provide hours of enjoyment.

Marvel Superheroes is a decent Capcom game..if you like the Capcom vs Marvel or Street Fighter vs Xmen..then chances are you'll like it as well. It does have a pretty small roster of characters though.

The other one I have no idea on...never played or heard of it.

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
Did the first Darkstalkers game (Vampire) ever come out for Saturn, or any system for that matter?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
gmfuss said:
Did the first Darkstalkers game (Vampire) ever come out for Saturn, or any system for that matter?
Just the PS1 i'm afraid.

The Saturn only got the 2nd and 3rd Darkstalkers games.

NightWarriors DarkStalkers Revenge

Vampire Savior aka DarkStalkers 3

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
Tron 2.0 said:
Just the PS1 i'm afraid.

The Saturn only got the 2nd and 3rd Darkstalkers games.

NightWarriors DarkStalkers Revenge

Vampire Savior aka DarkStalkers 3

Thats what I thought, and from what I can tell, the PS1 version is a little hard to come by and not even that good. Am I right?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
gmfuss said:
Thats what I thought, and from what I can tell, the PS1 version is a little hard to come by and not even that good. Am I right?
I don't know ask around i guess.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
gmfuss said:

I have one and compared to the arcade version, not too bad. Graphics and BGM are well done...HOWEVER the load time is a killer since it loads after each battle, after each ending statement and at the start of each battle :blow_top:

gmfuss

Kula's Candy
Sorry to take your thread off on a tangent, LoneSage. As for your questions, never hesitate to buy and Capcom fighters, you will not be let down. Total top notch ports from them. Waku Waku 7 is not a bad port, not quite Neo quality, but all Saturn-Neo ports are well done. And I have never played Groove on, so I can't really comment on that one.

Tsubaki

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Samurai Shodown III is a good buy for your Saturn as it's a very accurate port.
Probably more so than part IV, then again I always preferred part III to IV anyway.

buster_broon

The Rock,
galfordo said:
Haven't really heard of the other one - you're on your own there. :)

tsk tsk neo-phile

groove on fight is part of teh matrimelee family

infact its one of the power instinct games

</i think>

pretty good prices there btw

BIG

sony fanboy
My personal recommendation:

Groove on Fight - A Great fighting game with an awesome cast of characters,might be a bit too light-hearted to some,but remains to be a very potent and interesting fighter,indeed. The loadtime,while it does take a tad longer than the average, isn't too bad,either.

BTW,is that Marvel Super Heroes or Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter?

BIG-

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
Actually, pick up the domestic version of Marvel Superheroes for the Saturn. The Japanese version only uses 1 meg of RAM to make the game run smoother while the U.S. version uses 3 megs of RAM. Although even with 3 megs to get better animation and loading, there is some minor loading and the gameplay is a bit slower then the arcade version. Just make sure to pick up the domestic as it is one of the few domestic games superior to the import counterpart.

That actually isn't true.

3 Megs on RAM simply indicates that the game uses the 2Mb of system RAM and supports the 1MB RAM cart 1+2=3

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Bigp0ppaLarge said:
BTW,is that Marvel Super Heroes or Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter?

It's just Marvel Super Heroes.

Wow, thanks guys! I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the response, I didn't expect so much.

Dancing Mad

Another Striker
I am so looking for Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 3 for Saturn.

I heard it's way much better than the DC version.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
gmfuss said:

Darkstalkers 3 isn't all that hard to come by. It suffers from animation cuts for surely. But once you start unlocking mode play and soundtrack options it more than makes up for cut animations.

BIG

sony fanboy
LoneSage said:
It's just Marvel Super Heroes.

Wow, thanks guys! I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the response, I didn't expect so much.

Grab the US version instead,since they go for about $5 or so...save yourself some money for imports!

BIG-