Origins of the Game Cartridge

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
3040889-inline-channelfbox.jpg

Interesting article about the invention of the game cartridge, Fairchild's Channel F console was the first.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3040889/the-untold-story-of-the-invention-of-the-game-cartridge

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Sounds like we need to jump on it before the prices go up on ebay ;0

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I remember a friend had a fairchild, but we never played it.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
honestly, man - it's not a very fun system. i'd much rather play my atari or colecovision.

LOL @ barely any Channel F stuff on eBay. I guess everyone has already tossed that shit in the trash and there are no longer any fucks being given about it.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
LOL @ barely any Channel F stuff on eBay. I guess everyone has already tossed that shit in the trash and there are no longer any fucks being given about it.

They're pretty hard to come by. I don't know of any group that is particularly fond of them. I mean repairing them has to be simple. I just think by the time the 2600 came out, a lot of people did junk em. I know a guy that has one. I think he has all the games too. But he doesn't play it. Just sits on a shelf behind some glass. And he's unwilling to part with it.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
I've got a Channel F in box but mostly for nostalgia purposes... First game console I ever played, my parents had one when I was very young. Fucking paddles on the thing are awful. Oh and check out the box art for the console... Its interesting.