Painting the Big Red

Karumakun

New Challenger
Decided to start painting my Big Red over the weekend. PO had painted over older paint that covered previous Neo Geo vinyl. The vinyl wasn't complete so I ripped it off but was able to color match using the underside which remained in perfect finish. Sanded her down, used wood filler bond, re-sanded, then applied 1-2-3 oil based mildew resistant primer before putting on 4 coats of the red paint.

I'm happy with the results. Will tackle the lower section around the coin door next weekend and then use semi-gloss black for the lower portion.

https://flic.kr/p/2nhTpsh
https://flic.kr/p/2nhTpML
https://flic.kr/p/2nhQYd9

ConstitutionalCommando

New Challenger
I'm dreading this restoration project for my MVS-2. I still haven't decided if I want to paint or replace the vinyl. What made you decide to use paint over vinyl?

Karumakun

New Challenger
Damn looks good. Not a job I'd want to tackle, glad my vinyl is still in passable shape.
Thanks! Taking my time with it. Just removed the coin door and it's frame off last night and started prep work to paint that area.

rholdenl

n00b
This is looking great! I'm going to have to take a swing at this with my 2 slot cab soon and remove some rust from the control panel. I'm dreading it.

Karumakun

New Challenger
I'm dreading this restoration project for my MVS-2. I still haven't decided if I want to paint or replace the vinyl. What made you decide to use paint over vinyl?
Ultimately, it was a cost decision. $300+ on a vinyl kit compared to $40 in paint and supplies. I also was inspired by a thread on here that was posted 10 years ago where someone painted their cab and it came out really good. In the end, if I mess up I can always repaint or bite the bullet and vinyl it in the future.

Karumakun

New Challenger
This is looking great! I'm going to have to take a swing at this with my 2 slot cab soon and remove some rust from the control panel. I'm dreading it.
Yes! That took the longest for me since you have to remove all the wires and buttons and label everything before removal. I definitely advise you to get a palm sander if you don't have one. I got mine cheap from Harbor Freight for $20.

rholdenl

n00b
Yes! That took the longest for me since you have to remove all the wires and buttons and label everything before removal. I definitely advise you to get a palm sander if you don't have one. I got mine cheap from Harbor Freight for $20.
Luckily, we have a sander, hopefully that will save my wrists.

ConstitutionalCommando

New Challenger
Ultimately, it was a cost decision. $300+ on a vinyl kit compared to $40 in paint and supplies. I also was inspired by a thread on here that was posted 10 years ago where someone painted their cab and it came out really good. In the end, if I mess up I can always repaint or bite the bullet and vinyl it in the future.

Makes complete sense. It would suck to order a $300 vinyl kit just to screw it up with a simple mistake. Could you share the link to the paint thread that was posted 10 years ago? I'd appreciate it.

Karumakun

New Challenger
Makes complete sense. It would suck to order a $300 vinyl kit just to screw it up with a simple mistake. Could you share the link to the paint thread that was posted 10 years ago? I'd appreciate it.
My bad, just seeing your post. I'll have to dig that old thread up.

Karumakun

New Challenger
All finished with the paint now. Also installed new t-molding from 4partyfun on ebay, 40 feet. Also got some mini marquee replicas from arcademarqee.com . Next step is getting the 1&2 player decals as well as the memory card slot decal from Szabos.

Karumakun

New Challenger
Update on the cab. Had a friend of mine cut the side decals for me and I think they came out great. As expected, applying the vinyl to painted surface was a challenge but went well.

Now just waiting on Szabos coin door logos which is taking forever! Going on 3 weeks without shipping notification.

https://flic.kr/p/2nrb2X8