PAL CD or CDZ

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
Been lurking for a while but early next year I'll have the money to buy one. I did want a AES but the games are to expensive so I've decided cd is the way to go.

I did want a CDZ but there's a few PAL ones about and there cheaper. Do you think the early ones in the future will be collectable? Only if in a few years if I lose interest with it would I make my money back?

In the UK the CDZ are about £400-900 plus I'd have to send it off and spend a few hundred pounds to make it multi regional. But a PAL is only £200-400 and it's ready to use. Not sure what to get. I want a cd console as games are about £50-200 here

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Been lurking for a while but early next year I'll have the money to buy one. I did want a AES but the games are to expensive so I've decided cd is the way to go.

I did want a CDZ but there's a few PAL ones about and there cheaper. Do you think the early ones in the future will be collectable? Only if in a few years if I lose interest with it would I make my money back?

In the UK the CDZ are about £400-900 plus I'd have to send it off and spend a few hundred pounds to make it multi regional. But a PAL is only £200-400 and it's ready to use. Not sure what to get. I want a cd console as games are about £50-200 here

Christ where are you getting your prices?

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
hello! :D
got loaned a PAL-EUR CDZ.
if you can score one to keep, definitely worth it.
the downside is the optical disk drive.
requires maintenance depending how much used.
a cd-lens cleaner helps a little, just nothing compares to hands-on servicing.
to reiterate, if the console works, RIP IT! :D
possibly a matter of time before an ODE is developed for it?
neosd did as such for the cartridge systems....
in any case, a neo-geo system is hard to find in spic-n-spac condition outside some arduous bullshit!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
hello! :D
got loaned a PAL-EUR CDZ.
if you can score one to keep, definitely worth it.
the downside is the optical disk drive.
requires maintenance depending how much used.
a cd-lens cleaner helps a little, just nothing compares to hands-on servicing.
to reiterate, if the console works, RIP IT! :D
possibly a matter of time before an ODE is developed for it?
neosd did as such for the cartridge systems....
in any case, a neo-geo system is hard to find in spic-n-spac condition outside some arduous bullshit!

You need to stop coming into threads like these and tech threads because you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
@ BLOCK KAPO, i mean SADMAN.
based on what criteria?
you don't run this joint, so fuck off! :D

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
eBay, Amazon, gumtree and shpock

Well I got my top loader for less than £200 boxed with 2 pads, I had a uni bios fitted for less than £100 and most of the games I have picked up have been under £50.....

Dont get ripped off.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
[emoji85] where's best to shop. If there that cheap I can buy one now

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
[emoji85] where's best to shop. If there that cheap I can buy one now

Shop around, I mostly avoid Ebay though!
As for the mods I cant recommend Neil at 8 bit plus enough.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Most of the games cost about $5 over here.

madman

Most of the games cost about $5 over here.

What you offer vs what games actually sell for are two different things.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This place has turned into Glengarry Glen Ross with motherfuckers trying to Always Be Closing, convincing some new sap to get a CD system. Maybe whoever tricks the most people into taking the plunge by New Years gets a set of steak knives.

madman

There is no trickery here. Just fans of the neo geo connoisseur disc system.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
The CDZ is the way to go if you're serious but, you're gonna drop some stupid coin on one these days. When I had to buy a replacement system I paid $300 for just the effin system with nothing. It seems like unless you've got access to someone in Japan who can shop around they're going for $500 most places to include yahoo japan. I cant in good faith say any legit neogeo hardware is worth it anymore. Its all over priced shithead scum bag sellers.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Why would you want to buy a PAL system? That means you're limited to 50hz without doing fairly complex hardware modifications (slower games and black bars on the screen.) If you get a JAP top loader, which are plentiful and can be picked up for around £100-150, you instantly have 60hz and can change it to English (American) by simply soldering two pads together (or adding a switch if you prefer.) Then all you'll need is a transformer or dedicated 100v power supply and you're good to go.

Honestly I would avoid a PAL system - more expensive, 50hz.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
Just looking at the PAL ones they tend to be in better condition but i'll just wait until a CDZ in good condition comes up. I would love an AES but the games are just too much money and again most of them not great condition when seen them in person or no box.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Just looking at the PAL ones they tend to be in better condition but i'll just wait until a CDZ in good condition comes up. I would love an AES but the games are just too much money and again most of them not great condition when seen them in person or no box.

Just keep looking, there is good condition Jap consoles out there.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Here's a JAP top loader for £90, looks to be in great condition:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302945630925

I wouldn't get too hung up on the CDZ - the loading times are a bit faster, but they are still there. What annoys most people about some later CD games is loading between rounds, the CDZ doesn't cure that. Also the CDZ has copy protection (required patched games) and is apparently less reliable. I bought a top loader recently having originally wanted a CDZ, and am very happy with it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Here's a JAP top loader for £90, looks to be in great condition:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302945630925

I wouldn't get too hung up on the CDZ - the loading times are a bit faster, but they are still there. What annoys most people about some later CD games is loading between rounds, the CDZ doesn't cure that. Also the CDZ has copy protection (required patched games) and is apparently less reliable. I bought a top loader recently having originally wanted a CDZ, and am very happy with it.

LOL The CDZ has copy protection?

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
I'm not bothered about load times. Its old technology anyway so I was expecting that. I was just hoping just incase I lost interest in collecting would it be worth money in the future or at least get my money back what I invested. But i'm going to take the plunge anyway as I always wanted a neo geo back in the mid 90's

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
I don't think any Neo Geo hardware will significantly increase or decrease in value at this point, after 20 years price are pretty settled and almost everything is now in the hands of collectors rather than 'in the wild.' Plus remember Neo Geo stuff was incredibly expensive at retail, so many of the 'expensive' MVS carts are actually cheaper now than they were when new. You can pick up loads of CD games for under £20, they won't fall much further.

However, I do have a suspicion that if this ever materialises, it would drive up demand and therefore prices for NGCD consoles.