Panic Playdate

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
this thing is pure 100% novelty.... and that is working for me.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
this thing is pure 100% novelty....
Hmm, is is really? I like this toy, too, but somehow I feel reminded of a Simpsons scenario...

Developer: Now I bet you're all wondering what lies under this sheet.
Clod: Not really. We snuck a peek while you were in the john playing your Switch.

Then they reveal their less-than-spectacular creation. Clod's wife "oooh"s. The
Developer says "You don't have to humor me", but she retorts that it's pretty
ingrained. Clod says it's the stupidest thing he ever saw.

Clod: I can't believe we spent $2,000.000 on this when right now rollers
could be kneading my buttocks.
Dev: Clod, would you stop thinking about your ass?!
Clod: I try to, but I can't... (an ass-obsessed man)

Just then Clod's mechanical pencil sharpener operator reveals his presence.
His brace and bit drilling attentand gets a chance to speak, too. Shortly after
Clod's chauffeur, who's waiting outside in the car cranks down the manually
operated window and asks, if he should already go to get the starting handle
for Clod's classic oldtimer. All of it happens just about the same time as his
neighbour comes by on his handcycle to present Clod a new fishing reel.

Everyone is in awe.

Clod still isn't convinced.

People are afraid of new things. You should have just taken an existing
product, like the Game Boy, and put a crank on its side or something.

Then, after a brief moment of brooding...

Oh wait... you did. D'Oh!

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
I tried this out at the Playdate booth during Pax West 2019, I thought it was actually a pretty cool little device! It was very solidly built, d-pad and buttons are all microswitches, and the screen was really nice and clear. It had a demo of Keita Takahashi's "Crankin's Time Travel Adventure" on it to play, which made great use of the crank as your main input. It makes the main character walk forwards and backwards, but more than that it moves time forwards and backwards, making you really have to think to avoid objects and advance through the various levels. I'll more than likely pick one up, because I think it's interesting enough and look forward to see what devs make for it.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Yes. it is pure novelty. I like this thing, but it really is an overpriced novelty.

The crank is not going to bring anything new to the table. Wii had that covered with the endless uses of waggle controls. I keep seeing people rave about new innovation in games around a crank. We know exactly what we'll get with it already, because we've seen it before. The first wave of games will use it well, but then you'll get pretty standard waggle controlled games.

That screen is going to be a major disappoint as well. It is not going to look like that video. I like the dot matrix style, but no "super reflective screen" is going to be playable without a light source. It's going to be awful without direct overhead lighting. Keep in mind your "white" is the screen color when the system is turn off. No amount of reflecting is going to boost that. No light means no contrast. The lack of screen lighting is going to be a major blunder. That's form over function.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
it's meant to be a stupid trendy throwback accessory, not a sincere games machine for quality games...

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Price and no full color screen. Exact same 2 reasons I never had a original gameboy.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I love the stupid patronizing description of "the crank". Seems like I crank it-- cool

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
It looks kinda dumb... I will give it the benefit of the doubt and try it out if I get the chance, but without some kind of obligatory hog cranking simulator, I just can't see getting this.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I'm in no rush. It has a really nice design, which is typical of Teenage Engineering, but between the reviews saying it's flimsy and the likely lack of support, I'm going to hold off, esp. with the assurance that they're going to be getting more in 2022.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
No color, no interest. Not even for half the price.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
no color, no backlight.
i could deal with no color, but their super reflective screen is nonsense. It's going to super reflect your table lamp into your face.

I do like the way they are releasing games. it is more fun to be playing the same game as everyone else. Kinda builds a community.

I'm hopeful this is a cool product, but I'm waiting for the V2.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
I preordered one. Remember that the price of the system comes with a bunch of games. It's rare these days for a new console to promote a new way of playing games, rather than just promoting the same titles in 4k. It also looks to be building a homebrew community now that the SDK is out. Something I may try fiddling with.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Press embargo lifted.
As I stated, the screen needs lighting. Really a shame for a $200 device.

The size of this thing didn't resonate with me until I saw it put side by side with other consoles. This thing is super tiny. Notice how much the system shakes when you try to use the crank.