Paprium for real 2020, got my conformation email for delivery!?

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
I know they mentioned something about the music being a big part of the "tech" for this game and I remember the preview tracks being very impressive....so why did level one have a 5 second loop going through the whole thing making me want to claw my eyes out after a minute?

I have a feeling once everyone starts getting their carts (if we ever do) there is gonna be some fun youtube videos.

love the game but the level one music is not good with the 5 sec loop, but it gets better after that. but you are right for something that bragged about the music and sounds the music seems to loop too early for my taste.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
My copy arrived a few days ago... I still can't believe it actually turned up - I wrote the $80 I paid for the Japanese version off years ago.

I've had some issues however. The cart would not work on my Jap Mega Drive, nor my Wondermega... however, after reading about similar experiences on the Sega-16 forums, I hooked my Mega CD and the game then worked fine.

Also, the game will not work with my Retro-Bit controller plugged in, which is disappointing... and a bit odd, but whatever.

Had the loose heat sink issue - I've just removed it for the time being, will stick it down with gorilla glue at some point.

As for the game...

Graphics and sound are very impressive, gameplay I would say is average for a belt-scroller. It's more Final Fight 2 than Streets of Rage 2.

You don't have the moves of SoR 2, and the hits don't feel like they're really connecting at times.

If I was looking for a casual console play, I'd rather sit and spend half-an-hour with Final Fight Tough than Paprium.

I will say that the packaging is very impressive - the quality of the case and the manual are as good as any main stream developer would give, perhaps better in some respects.

I'm happy I finally got something to show for my money, but I wouldn't pay the $120+ they're asking for it now, the game just isn't that good. But, if you're looking for a new shelf warmer...

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My copy arrived a few days ago... I still can't believe it actually turned up - I wrote the $80 I paid for the Japanese version off years ago.

I've had some issues however. The cart would not work on my Jap Mega Drive, nor my Wondermega... however, after reading about similar experiences on the Sega-16 forums, I hooked my Mega CD and the game then worked fine.

Also, the game will not work with my Retro-Bit controller plugged in, which is disappointing... and a bit odd, but whatever.

Had the loose heat sink issue - I've just removed it for the time being, will stick it down with gorilla glue at some point.

As for the game...

Graphics and sound are very impressive, gameplay I would say is average for a belt-scroller. It's more Final Fight 2 than Streets of Rage 2.

You don't have the moves of SoR 2, and the hits don't feel like they're really connecting at times.

If I was looking for a casual console play, I'd rather sit and spend half-an-hour with Final Fight Tough than Paprium.

I will say that the packaging is very impressive - the quality of the case and the manual are as good as any main stream developer would give, perhaps better in some respects.

I'm happy I finally got something to show for my money, but I wouldn't pay the $120+ they're asking for it now, the game just isn't that good. But, if you're looking for a new shelf warmer...

I don't own the game but after watching some videos I noticed that the hit detection was a bit off. Game looks nice and colorful but doesn't play, move, or sound like Sor2. It is more jerky. Also the music can be annoying at times as well.

Yea, I had this on pre-order when it was announced and canceled. Glad I did. I'll probably pick it up for cheap if it ever comes on Steam.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Also, the sound effect for your punches connecting is sorely lacking compared with SOR. It looks like I could probably get used to it though.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
In some ways the game reminds me of Iron Commando on the SFC - looks impressive for what it's running on, but doesn't feel finished when you finally play it.

Both games clearly lacking in the Q&A department, where they both need fine tuning, but got published anyway as both developers were out of time (for different reasons... Parprium's issues being very well reported)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It would be cool if they added some usb port on the cart that allowed updating and maybe they could correct some things. I guess it is what it is. They'll probably fix most of those things if they release a digital version.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It would be cool if they added some usb port on the cart that allowed updating and maybe they could correct some things. I guess it is what it is. They'll probably fix most of those things if they release a digital version.

The cart does have a port on it - where something like a small jack-lead could plug in. What that's intended for is anyone's guess.

While I'm happy I can play the game, I'm not impressed that I need to have my Mega CD hooked up, because by rights it should work without the need for that... I'm just lucky I have one. I'd have been so pissed if I had nothing compatible with it after waiting all this time... most of which I was left to feel like I'd beeen ripped off / scammed.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
That is kind of strange since I seen videos of people playing it on a regular model 1 genesis. So it doesn't work on the JP MD unless the Mega Cd is plugged in? I had a similar issue with the Mega Sd not working correctly on my Japan Model one MD too. Worked fine on my U.S genny and Mega SD but would lock up on my Japan MD. It wasn't the power adapter either since I tried different ones. Maybe it depends on the revision.

Hopefully they will address that issue. Sucks for someone who only has one console it happens to be one that doesn't work.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
That is kind of strange since I seen videos of people playing it on a regular model 1 genesis. So it doesn't work on the JP MD unless the Mega Cd is plugged in? I had a similar issue with the Mega Sd not working correctly on my Japan Model one MD too. Worked fine on my U.S genny and Mega SD but would lock up on my Japan MD. It wasn't the power adapter either since I tried different ones. Maybe it depends on the revision.

Hopefully they will address that issue. Sucks for someone who only has one console it happens to be one that doesn't work.
I wonder if it’s an issue with the revisions that didn’t have TMSS implemented.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member

I've got an early Jap MD and the game will not get beyond the copyright boot screen - even tried using it with a boot cart. NO dice.

Tried it on my Wondermega (as it's supposed to work with those) - same issue.

So I unbox my Mega CD, hook it up to the MD, and sure enough it works fine.

BTW, what's TMSS?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The TMSS is the the copyright boot screen. The early model Genesis consoles don't have it. The Non TMSS units are more sought after because they have better sound.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
The TMSS is the the copyright boot screen. The early model Genesis consoles don't have it. The Non TMSS units are more sought after because they have better sound.

Oh, ok, cool - thanks! :)

Lord Igniz

n00b
Joe over on Game Sack just published a video review of Paprium. Pretty surprised it ended up coming out, but glad to see people didn't get scammed out. This Fonzie character seems like a real character though!

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Joe over on Game Sack just published a video review of Paprium. Pretty surprised it ended up coming out, but glad to see people didn't get scammed out. This Fonzie character seems like a real character though!

Man Joe is really selling me on the game. And by selling me I mean making me upset that my game hasn't arrived yet and WM not getting back to me and thier website doesn't take my form. Oh well maybe its still coming.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I was looking at this game the other day but glad to see some real reviews of it.

So the long and short of it is not worth the $130.

That kinda makes me sad as it looks fun but I would only ever compare it to SOR2 so would prob end up disappointed.
Ile wait and see if they ever release a digital form and buy that instead if it will work on my Mister or x5 cart.
Although if it has all the extras in the cart it may never work that way.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
So the long and short of it is not worth the $130.

That kinda makes me sad as it looks fun but I would only ever compare it to SOR2 so would prob end up disappointed.

If you approach it expecting SoR2 you are going to be very disappointed.

Think more Crest of Wolf on the PC Engine.

I thought Game Sack was a bit harsh on the packaging - I really liked it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If you approach it expecting SoR2 you are going to be very disappointed.

Think more Crest of Wolf on the PC Engine.

I thought Game Sack was a bit harsh on the packaging - I really liked it.

The packaging and presentation looks pretty damn good. It looks like they took their time with it. Don't know what Game Sack wanted. I also think the internals with that big heat sink is pretty cool as well. It's a shame I'm hearing people have to glue them back on.

I'm glad you called it how it is and aren't just saying all positive things in the name of eye candy and nostalgia. In 2020-21 I have to set the bar high. Sor2 is the beat'em up to compare to. If you can't make something that comes close than I can't justify spending that much money on a game.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Just as surprised as everyone when mine arrived. I am even more surprised that it is a amazing game. I think I would still bite at $130 given it feels like a major studio release with added features on top. I've always been impressed with their packaging and games.
I didn't even know about the AI second player until recently. It requires a sega cd. The AI 2nd player is quite useful too. I don't think I've played with AI player since the skeleton in Guardian Heroes.

I understand some vitriol against Fonzie, but at the same time he's French. WTF did you expect.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Sor2 is the beat'em up to compare to. If you can't make something that comes close than I can't justify spending that much money on a game.

This is basically my thoughts.
For £120 I want to be wowed with something I cant get cheaper.

Like if it was maybe £50 I would buy it regardless as I dont mind dropping that for a average to good indie physical release.
But £120 for a MD game is top dollar in my mind and I want something comparable to SOR2 for that.

I did drop £30 on a physical copy of Fight N Rage the other day on LRG's site though.
I know it aint gunna be SOR2 good but for £30 I dont care.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This is basically my thoughts.
For £120 I want to be wowed with something I cant get cheaper.

Like if it was maybe £50 I would buy it regardless as I dont mind dropping that for a average to good indie physical release.
But £120 for a MD game is top dollar in my mind and I want something comparable to SOR2 for that.

I did drop £30 on a physical copy of Fight N Rage the other day on LRG's site though.
I know it aint gunna be SOR2 good but for £30 I dont care.

Yup, at $50-60 thats about right but by the looks of the gameplay footage I've seen, spending over $100 is just not worth it. This game will probably end up getting released on digital for like $20 and after that eventually drop to $10-15 range. Probably won't be anytime soon since these guys are going to want to make some bank on the carts, accessories, and whatever merch they are selling.

Fight N Rage is pretty damn good by the way.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Has anyone tried Water Margin on Mega Drive? Perhaps it's just a case of low expectations, but I think that's a surprisingly okay brawler for $35 by Mega Drive standards.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Has anyone tried Water Margin on Mega Drive? Perhaps it's just a case of low expectations, but I think that's a surprisingly okay brawler for $35 by Mega Drive standards.

Ha interesting. Didn't know about this. Looks like similar to Knights of the Round.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Ha interesting. Didn't know about this. Looks like similar to Knights of the Round.
Haha, lots of ripped graphics from Knights of the Round, and the final boss is more or less Zankuro from Samurai Shodown. But it plays pretty well for a MD game, has okay music and 2-players.

I'm just saying... $130 for Paprium. Or $35 for Water Margin.