paypal alternatives?

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Does anyone here regularly use any PayPal alternatives for person to person transactions? I used to use PayPal regularly until eBay disputes froze my account a few times and I stopped selling on eBay altogether. My uncle used Amazon webpay before it converted to Amazon payments. It seems that you can only use funds on the Amazon storefront instead of just send people money. I'm curious if anyone uses Google wallet or any other alternatives for selling/buying online.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Does anyone here regularly use any PayPal alternatives for person to person transactions? I used to use PayPal regularly until eBay disputes froze my account a few times and I stopped selling on eBay altogether. My uncle used Amazon webpay before it converted to Amazon payments. It seems that you can only use funds on the Amazon storefront instead of just send people money. I'm curious if anyone uses Google wallet or any other alternatives for selling/buying online.

I believe you can use Greendot, but I'm not sure. Is bidpay still around?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I thought green dot was a preload debit card. Never even heard of bidpay.

Bidpay was a payment system used on eBay about 10-15 years ago. It was never really popular, few people accepted it ant I heard it was not very secure. It seems it's no longer around, the domain www.bidpay.com redirects to a cyber-something web site.

Regards.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Its surprising how they are separate, yet you cant use google wallet or just about any alternative.

Rancor

Rocnar,
I use / accept bitcoin. Costs absolutely nothing to xfer money in any amount. Cashout through a site like coinbase or circle.com

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I use / accept bitcoin. Costs absolutely nothing to xfer money in any amount. Cashout through a site like coinbase or circle.com

Me too... the money stays in your BTC wallet, controlled by you, on your computer. So much better than having bank/CC numbers out there on yet another payment site.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Has anyone purchased with Bitcoin on the forums? I wonder if Bitcoin is where things are headed as Paypal is becoming more and more intrusive and monopolistic?

Rancor

Rocnar,
I've had a few people purchase things from me with Bitcoin. Everything has gone smoothly! I'd love to see Paypal go down in flames.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Try Square Cash? There's an initial weekly $250 limit, but I believe it becomes lifted after you input more information. You can easily send and deposit quick. It's easy as hell for the recipient too. Get the app (iOS, Android).

You can txt money, bruh.

https://cash.me/

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5505-send-and-request-money-with-square-cash

+1 it's almost too easy to send money with Square Cash, I was a tad skeptical at first. But considering Square's decent reputation, I rolled with it. But yeah it makes transferring and receiving money into your bank account a breeze, especially between pals and people you trust. PP is still good from a buyer protection standpoint though if you did need to initiate a chargeback or something.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I've used Google Wallet a few times to send money to a few people selling bootleg DVDs and video game reproductions.

matt5cott

n00b

Another +1 for Bitcoin.

Caveat is you need to entirely trust said person, unless you use an escrow service once they have it, it's theirs to do as they please.

Rancor

Rocnar,
Most people ask for Paypal gift, which provides exactly the same protection. None.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Venmo and Square Cash are fantastic alternatives, even though one of them is technically owned by PP.

The good: no income reporting (e.g. the PP 20k cap) and extremely fast transfer rates between people and into bank accounts.

The bad: zero protection with the services, with a protection fallback being your Credit Card company perhaps. You can only really use this with your friends or people you highly trust.

I prefer those two methods over PP so much that I've even considered offering discounts on sales if using them.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Venmo and Square Cash are fantastic alternatives, even though one of them is technically owned by PP.

The good: no income reporting (e.g. the PP 20k cap) and extremely fast transfer rates between people and into bank accounts.

The bad: zero protection with the services, with a protection fallback being your Credit Card company perhaps. You can only really use this with your friends or people you highly trust.

I prefer those two methods over PP so much that I've even considered offering discounts on sales if using them.

I like the sound of those.

The Paypal 20k limit is bullshit, but it does bring up an interesting idea:

Let's say you are a big tymer making deals. Since you are forced to declare game sales of over 20k as income via 1099-K, presumably that means you can write off game purchases as a business expense ;)

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
Since you are forced to declare game sales of over 20k as income via 1099-K, presumably that means you can write off game purchases as a business expense ;)

It's a big number to hit. I've luckily avoided it until now. But as we all know fellow members, especially those doing group orders (which I used to do more of) have been hit hard.

Any tax experts around here? :tickled:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've used Facebook payments several times with good results, but like the above it's not meant to protect any party, send your money and that's the end.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Isn't bitcoin technically just another currency, so you are exposed to the ups and downs of the market when trying to make a transaction?

I've personally never used it, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
Interesting. PayPal just announced integration with Venmo today. TL/DR Venmo users can pay PayPal accounts now.

Announcing a new way
to get paid through PayPal.
As part of our commitment to deliver payment innovations that give your customers more ways to pay, we’re pleased to announce a new feature of your PayPal account: Venmo users will soon be able to make mobile purchases through your PayPal checkout.

What is Venmo?
Venmo is a popular social payments service that lets people make and share payments with their friends, family and approved businesses. Accepting Venmo payments can give you access to new buyers and provide marketing exposure for your business when Venmo users choose to share purchases through their Venmo social feed.