PayPal now allows Buyers to file Disputes from 45 days to 180 days starting in 29 January

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
This is what happen's when one major bitch of a entity control's the whole online auction world and has it's also the payment processor such as paypal. If only yahoo auction's didn't cease to exist so many year's ago in the U.S. Problem is who can really compete against e-bay maybe amazon if they were to do their own online auction service as a side service to it's core product.

what would make it different if people would still use paypal? This new rule will people encourage to buy more with paypal.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
I look forward to the coming spinoff. They've lost focus.
It's so easy to say well we've had a 2% rise in revenue consistently over the last few years.
Really that's not very good because online spending is up say 15% every year, so really you've lost 65% market share.

the biggest reason why they lost market share to amazon is because of what they demand from sellers as an extra fee. What is it again, 10%? Amazon sellers have constantly lower prices so i guess the selling fees are much lower therefor people buy in amazon more.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I'm worried this will usher in a new era of scamming on Paypal. It's already bad enough for legit sellers there... but, Paypal has been pretty fair on the dispute resolution for me in the past. So, I can't really complain.

The one thing I will say is Paypal Credit's 6-month same as cash deal for orders over $250 is pretty awesome. Holy shit, why didn't I use that in the past? Sure, the APR is asinine if you actually don't pay it back in time, like 19.99%, but... Pay it back on time and it's free skating for six months!

Just bought some computer equipment and did the 6 month deal, really took the sting out of the purchase, since I was planning on sticking it on a credit card and just paying it off in three or so months with a bit of interest. Very nice feature of Paypal I never really looked into before this week, and you can even default your purchases to the credit line instead of your bank account. I know each and every one of you has done the... OH SHIT, that just went to my bank account! At least with it defaulting to credit, if I forget to move it to my regular payment card, I will have it fall on a credit line that won't bite me for 25 days.

Overall, Paypal has done pretty good by me.

Last edited:

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
@RabbitTroop,

I disagree. PayPal/Ebay makes little to no effort to protect a seller when it comes to claims made from a buyer. The buyer can make an "item not as described" claim with ease, and the buyer is not (to my knowledge) required to prove that an item was received "not as described".

Listing an auction with "no returns" is utterly usesless. One would think that Ebay would want to offer better seller protection, since their seller fees probably generate a huge portion of their revenue.

Although it may seem extreme, the last several things I sold on ebay, I made videos of the items sold, which included:

1. The auction on my PC monitor and me showing on camera the auction description (with me speaking about it, including what the buyer will receive).

2. The camera showing the item(s) from all angles and testing the item(s), especially in the case of electronics.

3. Me on camera boxing up the item(s) and showing the shipping label, along with the eBay item number written on it, and taping up the box. Then one more time me showing the eBay item on my PC screen, and speaking the item number, to/from addresses, time and date of the video, etc.

4. Putting that video on YouTube, with the eBay item number in the video title, and providing the buyer with a link to that video.

If I ever do decide to sell on ebay again, I will continue to do this to protect myself, and the buyer has no doubt that they will get the items they bought. I had someone try the "item not as described" scam, but I submitted this proof to PayPal, and they quickly ruled in my favor.

If a buyer filed a claim, and was told to ship the item(s) back to me, I would do an unboxing video in the same style as above, because there are way too many scammers that will indeed tamper with and/or omit parts of an item shipped to them.

Ebay/PayPal are seriously alienating the sellers with their outrageous fees and practices, and this whole 180 day return policy will ultimately force many legit sellers to not do business with them.

Last edited: