PC Engine - recommendations?

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hey guys,

i just recently acquired a japanese PC Engine Duo-R - a system which i had completely ignored for some strange reason over the years.
I bought it merely out of curiosity and i really don´t know much about the available game library.
It came with a copy of Twin Bee and i also bought Winds of Thunder and Gate of Thunder.

What are your recommendations for a guy like me who likes shooters and platformers, etc. - just classic arcade style stuff?
And - is Sapphire worth the money? :D

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Here's a few games you might like:

1. Super Star Soldier
2. Final Soldier
3. Soldier Blade
4. PC Genjin I, II and III
5. Legendary Axe I and II
6. Anything by Konami
7. Double Dragon II
8. Rondo of Blood

I scored a convincing looking bootleg of Sapphire for $50.. I thought it was worth it. No way in heck I'd buy the real thing, though.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Hey man,. i was in the same boat less than a month ago. I picked up a duo r with no idea what games to try.

So far
super raiden
far east of eden
Graduis 2
Dracula x

Those are all good games . East of eden is an rpg.

But heres my thread where i got some good suggestions. Take a look if you want.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221127

Also did your system or controller have yellowing on it?

Edit- You could also download some of these games and burn them. To see if the game is worth buying a legit copy..

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Fuck you guys and your shootie fucking shmupeys, drooling RPG's and moonlighting faggety blood suckers. Be a real man and learn the ways of the Ninja!!!!
COVER-Ninja_Spirit.jpg

You can thank me later after we meet at the end of all things...

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I scored a convincing looking bootleg of Sapphire for $50.. I thought it was worth it. No way in heck I'd buy the real thing, though.

I did not know that people were actually bootlegging PC Engine games - that´s good to know.
Is there any difference between the original and the copy?

Hey man,. i was in the same boat less than a month ago. I picked up a duo r with no idea what games to try.

So far
super raiden
far east of eden
Graduis 2
Dracula x

Those are all good games . East of eden is an rpg.

But heres my thread where i got some good suggestions. Take a look if you want.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221127

Also did your system or controller have yellowing on it?

Edit- You could also download some of these games and burn them. To see if the game is worth buying a legit copy..

No, my system came without any yellowing and in pretty nice shape overall - only a few light marks here and there.
Got it from an Austrian seller on ebay - low shipping costs from a neighboring country and no custom fees. :)

I am a big fan of the Castlevania series, so Rondo of Blood is definitely on my list.
Same goes for the Darius series, i´ll try to get my hands on these games as well.

And i will definitely check out your thread, thanks for the link.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
If you enjoy the music of Gates &Winds that came w/ your system, try DownLoad2 & Super Darius II.

T's Music FTW!

EDIT: Crest of Wolf is a poor man's Final Fight...T's soundtrack saves it tho.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
If you enjoy the music of Gates &Winds that came w/ your system, try DownLoad2 & Super Darius II.

T's Music FTW!

EDIT: Crest of Wolf is a poor man's Final Fight...T's soundtrack saves it tho.
Best OST ever on the PC Engine is Lords of Thunder, just the music alone makes you wanna play the game and then what do you know the game play is pretty great!

Gates of Babylon all day long!

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
all the Shubibinman Games are really fun platformers

if you like puzzle games you probably would enjoy Splash lake and Pop'n magic

and if you can afford it Coryoon is amazing this game was the basis for PC Denjin/Air Zonk (another must have)

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
all the Shubibinman Games are really fun platformers

+1 for the Shubibinman games. Youkaidouchuuki is probably my favorite platforming game I own though. No real reason, I just dig it.

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Fuck you guys and your shootie fucking shmupeys, drooling RPG's and moonlighting faggety blood suckers. Be a real man and learn the ways of the Ninja!!!!
COVER-Ninja_Spirit.jpg

You can thank me later after we meet at the end of all things...

:lol:

Yup, that´s definitely my kind of game, so are the Shubibinman titles.
And yes, the soundtrack of Winds of thunder is great too.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Super Dodgeball
Adventure Island (japanese version of TG16's Dragon's Trap)
Salamander
Gradius
Mr. Heli

Also, Dynastic Hero is awesome (same game as Wonderboy in Monsterworld on Genesis/Megadrive but with better music and colors). The english version is really expensive, though.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Them Dragon Knight strategy games. Queens Blade on PSP is just a wannabe copycat. XD

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
damn, people been telling me Tonma was a crap game for years, but that looks pretty fun.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
damn, people been telling me Tonma was a crap game for years, but that looks pretty fun.
I think tonma is great a gem by irem sure the game is short,but it is a port of a arcade game afther all.

Wich btw is the most case for any game that irem ported to the pce.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Just sold my last copy of Dracula X one of the best games ever released on the PC Engine. My favorite game for the system. It's absolutely amazing.