PC Engine Super System3 RGB Tech Support.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Voultar isn't here to stir the pot like "others" who reemerge from time to time.

Definitely trying to be constructive with his comments.

Help or educative posts as you (fenikso) mentioned are always appreciated.

neozeed64

n00b
If the digital and analog circuits on the ssd3 board are all tied to one ground plane it may not be a quick fix.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I just posted my experiences in the main thread as they are not just issues with the RGB signals as everyone else has mentioned. I will need to open mine up again to look at the analog grounds, but I wonder if we could remove the analog grounds and then hook them up where needed on the device? So on the audio and video circuit directly connect the analog grounds and lift pins or cut traces to remove them from the digital grounds?

From original post:
So I finally got my unit from the day one batch today. I have to say I am disappointed. The video signal is very very bad with lots of noise and in some cases missing colors. The audio is not amplified in any way and I have to max out my speakers to be able to hear it even a little, then it has audible video and processor noise bleeding into it. The casing is nice, but it was not assembled correctly. I ended up removing the screws and reassembling it. The way it was I could not slide it onto my original pc engine. With the casing correctly assembled it does slide on but it doesn't fit straight on the unit and I do notice that it drags on the plastic as it slides on.

As for operation of the device itself, I have run into quite a few issues with the cd playback. I will make the assumption this is my rips, but they do work just fine when played from the CD. The issues I have encountered are the playback freezing completely, the wrong sound effects or music being played, the wrong cutscenes being played or skipping all together. The menu is not very intuitive and I find myself selecting the options constantly. I think it would have made more sense to have 2 be go back, 1 be select, and options be tied to start. That is just my opinion on the buttons.

For the setups I have tried, 2 different Retro-Access csync coaxially shielded genesis2 cables, a cheap genesis2 cable, generic genesis2 composite video cables, direct into my Framemeister, through a GScartsw_lite into the Framemeister, and direct into my PVM-1954Q. I have also tried this with my TurboGrafx 16. Both consoles are fully recapped with no additional RGB amps inside. Both are in perfect working order without the device. Both have had the jailbar fix applied internally.

I would love to be of any assistance in determining how to fix this. NeoSD and NeoDev, please feel free to request information from me.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
View attachment 48510

Not even a minute of playing splatterhouse over RGB.

Dude, try cleaning the contacts on the back of your pc engine. Are you using the White Pc Engine or Core Grafx?

Being alot of these pc engines are missing the back cover and exposed to a ton of crap for so many years. That might cause some issues.

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I tested with both my white pc engine again as stated and with my turbografx16. Contacts are fine. I can plug either unit into their respective docks and have no issues.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
In the video my house is practically silent and the audio is going through the SSD3, into my gscartsw_lite, into my framemeister, over HDMI into a 1500watt klipsch surround sound system. I chose to show Splatterhouse to point out that the audio issues and video issues are not just specific to CD games and to show that my rips are not the issue here.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
In the video my house is practically silent and the audio is going through the SSD3, into my gscartsw_lite, into my framemeister, over HDMI into a 1500watt klipsch surround sound system. I chose to show Splatterhouse to point out that the audio issues and video issues are not just specific to CD games and to show that my rips are not the issue here.

Are you playing Splatterhouse off a HuCard or from the microSD card? Just curious.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
That is through the microsd card. I have not tested the hucard slot with this device attached yet. I have also tested the composite video output of the systems while using the SSD3. With hucards, the audio is normal aside from the added buzzing but the video is also full of noise. So likely the analog and digital ground planes being connected is causing interference inside the console as well.

With the same game, I have plenty of sound with my receiver set to only -30 whereas here is is surpassing -90.

Edit:
I should note this is the exact same Rom set from my Everdrive minus the Everdrive files. It is the Smokemonster Rom pack as well.

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Fix those grounds and I bet that most of those issues resolve themselves. Digital stuff is high-speed with a lot of fun pulses. It needs its own reference. Analog should never be tied to that otherwise you'll get residuals.

Super easy fix, more than likely. Just fix the grounds and I bet most of these probz resolve themselves. No biggy.

If the TerraOnion team won't give me a hard time about making modifications to the unit to try and fix these issues, I will happily do it.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
For what it's worth (which isn't much), I've had problems using Samsung cards with Everdrives.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah normally I stick to the SanDisk Ultra as I have never had issues with those. I went with the Samsung because they were on sale for $20 less than the SanDisk. If some of the issues are from the SD card, I will happily replace it. Based on all the things I am encountering it seems like there is more going on here.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
All the craziness on the screen looks more like there is a issue with the data on the card rather than a rgb issue.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
That issue is one of the things that happens when it freezes. The video shows issues with sprites not being drawn. The fact that we know analog and digital ground are tied together means that all bets are off on what issues we could encounter.

It could be related to the ad card but issues reading the sd card could be related to issues within the circuit as well. Like I said, I have multiple cards to test with. I also have standard sd, sdhc, and other brands and sizes of sdxc.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Using SanDisk Ultra 32gb SDXC FAT32 w/ 32kb clusters and Todd's files. Still having issues with sprites not being drawn and audio playing at the wrong times or not at all. Haven't hit the freezing point yet but that was hit or miss before. Did notice that black is apparently no longer a color. If a screen, such as the opening cinematic has black and has red, the red will start to overtake the black. It's not so much bleeding as it is changing the hue.

Edit: Forgot to note that with Todd's files the audio still requires me to turn the volume up to max to hear anything at all, at which point the buzzing is also present.

FB_IMG_1516685632814.jpg

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Do you have any HuCards to test? That would eliminate SD card issues as the root of these issues if they still show up on a HuCard.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Yes I have hucards as well. I won't be able to test that until much later today. If that will put the sd card debate to rest I will happily check it. I have now tried 2 different brands and sizes of SD cards with the latter being within the specs of the device.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yes I have hucards as well. I won't be able to test that until much later today. If that will put the sd card debate to rest I will happily check it. I have now tried 2 different brands and sizes of SD cards with the latter being within the specs of the device.

I know I'm reaching here but what device are you using to transfer files from pc to sd card. I've had issues in the past transferring files with a shitty knock off usb sd card reader.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I have used both the Samsung microsd to SD adapter and the SD card reader built in to my laptop and a cheap usb microsd reader.

Last edited:

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
Tested with a Samsung EVO 128GB SDXC and next test will be a Sandisk Ultra SDXC 32GB. Always formatted as Fat32 with 32kb cluster.

I am using the same Samsung card. Not having any issues with games loading.

EDIT: Mine is formatted to exFAT but doubtful that would be the issue.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I have used both the Samsung microsd to SD adapter and the SD card reader built in to my laptop and a cheap usb microsd reader.

Since you said you were having shell issues, is it worth taking it out of the shell and inserting the pcb directly into your PCEs? Maybe something isn't seated right. Kinda grasping at straws.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Since you said you were having shell issues, is it worth taking it out of the shell and inserting the pcb directly into your PCEs? Maybe something isn't seated right. Kinda grasping at straws.

It's definitely something I could do. Since I have the same video issues from the console as long as the SSD3 is plugged in, I am still pretty confident the issue is in the SSD3 itself. I am hoping the TerraOnion guys will check in here at some point. I think it would be beneficial to try Voultar's suggestion of separating the Analog and Digital ground signals to see if it cleans up the signal issues and maybe even some of the other issues.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has the same issue with the audio being ridiculously quiet? As shown in the video I posted, it's barely audible when maxed out.