PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 Mini announced

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Just announced at E3, they're releasing 2 versions of the PC Engine, the white PCE and the Grey Core Grafx, and in the NA regions we'll get the Turbo Grafx 16.

6 titles confirmed for now:

R-type
New Adventure Island
Ninja spirit
Ys Book 1 and 2
Dungeion Explorer
Alien Crush

They're also going to release a multi-tap! That's a step further than all the other mini's on the market.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Wow, cool. I never thought in a million years we’d get something like this.

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
I always wanted a TG16 when I was a kid and supposedly threw myself on the floor at Toys R Us when I didn’t get one. I’ll definitely buy this mini system but they better come correct with the games.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Whatever is on these - I'm in on ALL FUCKING THREE

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Eh, its cool but I'm good with my PC Engine ans Everdrive.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
How much smaller can they make the PC Engine. It's been mini-sized since 1987.

Yeah, it's literally palm sized to begin with. If you made it even smaller moving the controller around would move the entire system as well.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Talk about jumping on the console mini bandwagon :thevt:Still it's great at least konami is not sitting on the TG16/PCE,ips.Dunno if i'll buy one i all ready have a TG16+TurboCd and Duo-R with a decent size collection.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Obviously 1, 2 or 3 Bonk games will be included. I usually don't care much about "mini" consoles, but the fact that the Turbo is getting one -- from Konami no less -- is f---ing cool!

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
This is bringing out the collectard in me, I want all three shells

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
This explains why no Rondo on the recently released Castlevania collection I guess.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm kind of sick of these Mini consoles. I thought it was great idea when they came out with the Nes and Snes mini's. As much as I love the Genny, I'm passing on that mini as well. I guess it's cool for collectors who just want to own something official but what's the difference between owning one of these and a RPI? I know it's been beat to death but just saying. Shit, you probably have some way of playing these games on some console or handheld already. I guess it's probably something neat to just look at as it sits on your desk or something. It is nice that they included rondo. These Mini's would have been great if they came out like 5 years ago. Before they flooded the market with a million devices to play retro games and roms and remakes on major platforms.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
To me the differentiator is whether I can get the games on Steam, because that doesn't go away when the console generation ends. The very recent Konami collections combined with the very well done Mega Drive/Genesis Classics series have made the Genesis one largely redundant for me. Obviously Nintendo first and second party stuff isn't coming, so those have value. The Neo Geo has most games available on Steam (though shitty ports) and the Windows Store. The PC Engine will depend on the lineup. I wish Konami would release a Hudson Soft collection digitally.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
the hard part will be which to buy. I like all 3 but I can't see myself buying more than one.. So whichever has Soldier Blade, Dracula X, and a RPG (Neutopia or Ys) will be the one I buy.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I'm kind of sick of these Mini consoles. I thought it was great idea when they came out with the Nes and Snes mini's. As much as I love the Genny, I'm passing on that mini as well. I guess it's cool for collectors who just want to own something official but what's the difference between owning one of these and a RPI? I know it's been beat to death but just saying. Shit, you probably have some way of playing these games on some console or handheld already. I guess it's probably something neat to just look at as it sits on your desk or something. It is nice that they included rondo. These Mini's would have been great if they came out like 5 years ago. Before they flooded the market with a million devices to play retro games and roms and remakes on major platforms.
I think it's purely a collectible. The question is, who are they expecting to buy a TG16 trinket? Nintendo has the name recognition to pull this stuff. Sega does, kinda, as well. But I don't know anyone who's really nostalgic for the design of the TG16.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm the opposite actually. When Nintendo did it, it was overhyped and the supply couldn't meet demand. Nintendo is already everywhere so I care less when they do anything. The video output was fine but slightly less than ideal. I already have modded consoles that I'd rather play on.

For the Mega Drive Mini M2 is doing the emulation, and I'm just more of a Sega fanboy I guess. I want to support the product and its game selection.

Same with the Turbo one. It's just cool that it's happening at all.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Strange it's only 6 games though. Good to see Ninja Spirit and Dungeon Explorer, but no Blazing Lazers? I saw someone mentioned 'more games to come' so I guess that might take care of the minimal releases on it. Still pretty rad to see the TG16 get some love, even though its not from NEC haha.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Strange it's only 6 games though. Good to see Ninja Spirit and Dungeon Explorer, but no Blazing Lazers? I saw someone mentioned 'more games to come' so I guess that might take care of the minimal releases on it. Still pretty rad to see the TG16 get some love, even though its not from NEC haha.

The final release has got to be closer to 15 to 25 games in order to compete with the other mini consoles. As long as they add the other PC Engine Mini titles and another Bonk, Bomberman, Splatterhouse, and Blazing Lasers, I think it will sell as well as possible. It's never going to compete with the Nintendo and Sega mini consoles, but it could die a fast death if they skimp on games and once again deprive the U.S. market of Rondo of Blood.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The final release has got to be closer to 15 to 25 games in order to compete with the other mini consoles. As long as they add the other PC Engine Mini titles and another Bonk, Bomberman, Splatterhouse, and Blazing Lasers, I think it will sell as well as possible. It's never going to compete with the Nintendo and Sega mini consoles, but it could die a fast death if they skimp on games and once again deprive the U.S. market of Rondo of Blood.

I don't think they will. I'm sure Konami is aware of the popularity of Rondo. Then again, we are talking about Konami. You just can't win.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
There are so many other ways to play Rondo that are official though, so I dunno if they'd put the game on there. Hell I'd vote yes to do it, why the eff not. But I dunno.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
There are so many other ways to play Rondo that are official though, so I dunno if they'd put the game on there. Hell I'd vote yes to do it, why the eff not. But I dunno.

It would definitely help sell some units.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I’m fine with the mini consoles—even though there are a ton of them now—as long as they’re not dogshit like the PlayStation classic and yes, the neo geo mini.