PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I hear ya man!

Edit:
Neways, I pm'ed BigAl just in case he still has some pce titles for sale, he had a cheap Legendary Axe back then.

@Jibba/GohanX/otherPCEnginefx forum members:
Do you know if BigAl is still around? Sent him the PM almost 1 month ago and never got an answer from him.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I see him pop up every once in a while when he wants to peddle some wares, but I haven't seen him in a while. Then again, the forums I've seen him on, this one and PCEFX, aren't really keen on marketplace only people so he may have moved on. That said, I don't pay attention to the PCEFX market since I'm priced out of PCE/TG16 collecting.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
my new Turbo Express is going out the door today to get recapped. Sniff... Guess that gives me time to go ahead and order a turbo everdrive.

Anyone know if they make a hard case for the express? When I travel I like stuff I can toss in a bag. If there isn't, maybe i'll just design and 3d print one.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
my new Turbo Express is going out the door today to get recapped. Sniff... Guess that gives me time to go ahead and order a turbo everdrive.

Anyone know if they make a hard case for the express? When I travel I like stuff I can toss in a bag. If there isn't, maybe i'll just design and 3d print one.

Why not find an appropriate sized camera bag?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Maybe there is some sort of 3D print out there you could have made up?

lions3

Igniz's Servent
yeah, I was thinking once I get the Express back from getting a recap i'll probably take some measurements and play around in CAD. Might be fun to make a custom case.

Ren-chan

Mayb e you can get this kind of protective... foam? I don't know the right word in english.

AIG384285.jpg

We used to have those at work.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
yeah, I was thinking once I get the Express back from getting a recap i'll probably take some measurements and play around in CAD. Might be fun to make a custom case.

I love you so much.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
anyone every have any trouble with their everdrive? I just got one yesterday and noticed a couple games have some video glitches in them. While others are pristine. Noticed in with US Ninja Spirit last night. If only a couple games are showing the issue would that mean it's the files and not the TED?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There are tons of bad rom files for pce that work on emulators but not on the ED.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
anyone every have any trouble with their everdrive? I just got one yesterday and noticed a couple games have some video glitches in them. While others are pristine. Noticed in with US Ninja Spirit last night. If only a couple games are showing the issue would that mean it's the files and not the TED?

On isozone, smokemonster (member here too) has a no-intros collection which is also broken into genres but no SGX roms. Shoot me PM and I can email you my Ninja Spirits file to see how that plays on you TED.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I could use some advice regarding the RF only white PCE.

I have a custom (pricey) SCART cable that I used for it (via the ext panel) to a PVM.

I want to give this PCE to my brother for his birthday now that I have a Duo-RX but he does not have any upscalers or RGB capable display devices.

My question is, what is the best/lowcost way to get him playing PCE (with the hardware described) on a modern-day LCD?

As I see it, the options are

1. Buy him a DbGrafx Booster (Currently out of stock)

or

2. Give him the custom SCART cable and a cheaper upscaler from ebay

Option two seems like a waste of money and equipment. Option one seems good but also pricey (and currently unavailable). Is there an alternative I am missing outside of him getting a SDTV and hoping he can tune-in the RF on the PCE? I guess I could also try my hand at building him a cable connected to the Ext port that goes to composite or component video.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Anyone familiar with Mad Stalker Full Metal Force? First I've heard about it was today, checked out some YT vids and apparently it was done by some of the guys behind Guardian Heroes and Asuka 120%? Looks pretty awesome.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Anyone familiar with Mad Stalker Full Metal Force? First I've heard about it was today, checked out some YT vids and apparently it was done by some of the guys behind Guardian Heroes and Asuka 120%? Looks pretty awesome.

I'm sure through the fault of "TY" some nerds, the info you got was half baked by the mentioning of Asuka over Panzer Bandit. Yes, Fill-in-Cafe is the team who worked on Mad Stalker and who of course did the Asuka series.

However, Panzer Bandit (1997) was the product of a vision shared by employees who remained at the company. Employees who left Fill-in-Cafe to work for Treasure did Guardian Heroes (1996).

So basically, a group of programers had a vision together, but these visions became realized through two separate games by two separate companies. No wonder why both games share such similar concepts and engine traits.

Mad Stalker has been a game of the month here too. The playstation pseudo-sequel/remake playstation is crazy.

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Dudes.... fucking Soldier Blade over many vertical shooters on PCE chip format. I love Super Star Soldier, and many more.... but this 1cc inspires!!!! I am not that good anytime soon though.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Soldier Blade is really easy to beat without continuing though. Great game, but by no means is it remotely difficult.

geise

Mickey's Coach
That's why we have Tatsujin and Image Fight on the pc--e as well. For those who love a challenge.

Ren-chan

*bump*

Hai guys~
Is Outrun a good port on PCE? Seen someone selling it and I am wondering about giving it a try... saw a vid on youtube and looks decent... but so Golden Axe did...

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's not arcade perfect, but it is a great port. It's one of my most played PCE games. It's much better than the Genesis Outrun, although the Genesis one might look better in screenshots the PCE version kills it in motion.

Also, if you have a PC Engine GT you MUST have this game.

Outrun port hierarchy: 3DS > Saturn > PC Engine > Genesis > SMS

Ren-chan

It's not arcade perfect, but it is a great port. It's one of my most played PCE games. It's much better than the Genesis Outrun, although the Genesis one might look better in screenshots the PCE version kills it in motion.

Also, if you have a PC Engine GT you MUST have this game.

Outrun port hierarchy: 3DS > Saturn > PC Engine > Genesis > SMS

hum hum! so it's worth the try uh? nice, since I might be able to get After Burner 2 too.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
After Burner 2 is pretty good too, but having a 3 button controller is extremely helpful.