PCB Storage

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Am I the only one who just re-uses old pizza boxes?

Seriously though, MuppeT you just get those boxes at staples? Those are pretty nice...

Yes 5 for $12 bucks or something ;)

They got also nice bigger boxes for like 5 for $15 or something that are great for cps 1.5 :)

WP_20150727_002.jpgWP_20150727_003.jpg

Think you could share the template? If it's a pdf that would be great!

Sadly no .. here is the one I made for final fight ... you can just use it and add your own artwork .

Spoiler:
Final Fight.jpg

higher res link - http://i.imgur.com/wbNjEku.jpg

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I finally remembered to stop at Staples based on MuppeT's suggestion. As advertised, they had a few different size mailing boxes that work very well for this purpose. For my initial trial, I bought a five-pack of 15 1/8" x 11 1/8" x 2" boxes. These fit my Konami boards, e.g. Aliens and Turtles, very well. However, they are just barely too short for the Irem M92 dual boards. The sound part of the motherboard sticks up just a bit too tall. Staples also had the same L x W but with 4" height. I'm going to head back and get a pack of those as well for my MVS board and the M92. Hopefully those specifics are useful for others trying to decide what size they might need. Thanks again for the tip, MuppeT.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
I use protektive paks. They are anti-static and designed for shipping electronic components.

They are about $8 each. A little steep, but a small price considering so many PCBs these days are in the hundreds.

ytCezntl.jpg

You can get them from http://protektivepak.com, or a little cheaper at http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Looking like an OG arcade operator just stacking those pcbs on a shelf haha.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I gave up on searching for boxes that can fit your PCBs perfectly - it's impossible. Rather decided to add some more shelfves to the shelf, so I can now adjust the height according to the PCBs. Plus you don't need antistatic foil and the PCBs are plug and play ready very easily.

p1000180zcqh7.jpg

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
^ You don’t mind them sagging over time? I like my PCBs firm and perky :keke:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Do you really think this will make a difference?

Yes pcb bending causes stress cracks on solder joints that connect the components. I have had several older pcbs (ms pac etc) that would flex so much laying flat that they would not play unless they were put in a vertical position. Which is why most people store pcbs vertically and modern pcbs have several mounting points in the middle to keep the sagging from happening on component heavy boards.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yes pcb bending causes stress cracks on solder joints that connect the components. I have had several older pcbs (ms pac etc) that would flex so much laying flat that they would not play unless they were put in a vertical position. Which is why most people store pcbs vertically and modern pcbs have several mounting points in the middle to keep the sagging from happening on component heavy boards.

I'm starting to realize storing PCBs is a PITA :p

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I'm starting to realize storing PCBs is a PITA :p

Yes, biggest PITA in this hobby is it wasn't designed to be for hobbyist :-) gives a whole new appreciation for things like NES carts.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Seen today @ IKEA:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441745745.463865.jpg
Each is 20"x16"x5.5"

Might get a few, some red bubble wrap-and upgrade from the USPS boxes.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
The plastic brackets in Galaxians/Pacs etc. flex the boards over time. It sucks.