PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

neosd

Neosd Developer
Thanks for the info. I never criticized the price. I think it's totally reasonable for what we get. I don't think it's unreasonable to call it a premium product (I certainly think it is, and I bet you do also) at a premium price (most people outside this hobby would probably agree that paying $300 USD to play games on a decades-old console most of them never heard of is a price premium...which I say again is totally reasonable for hobbyists).

To be clear, I gladly gave you my money and probably would have given you more ;)

We apreciate your purchase.

I think i already told this before, but we were not sure about make this product or not.
We were scared about the comercial performance cause i myself didn´t even had a pcengine before we started the project so we asumed the userbase was really small.

The main reason we started this project is cause this whole product idea was so great that to not deliver it would be a real shame.

One thing i have learnt from the past while working with the current team is : we are not going to do anything we don´t like for ourselves or is it great to acomplish.

Alex,

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
For people who hesitate about rgb cable :

I received my rgb cable from an ebay seller, i was expecting a passive cable without capacitors and resistors but it is equipped.

It appears to be exactly the same as neosd got from amazon , i carefuly watched the very good Gadget's review video and i'm almost sure he is also using the same cable .

So it seems those generic md2 rgb cables are widely distributed and established to working fine on PCE Super SD System 3 with a good picture , so that shouldn't be an issue to find this one for anyone who hasn't an original sega cable .

neosd cable :gen2_rgb_cable.png

My cable:IMG_1486.JPG

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks for the info. I never criticized the price. I think it's totally reasonable for what we get. I don't think it's unreasonable to call it a premium product (I certainly think it is, and I bet you do also) at a premium price (most people outside this hobby would probably agree that paying $300 USD to play games on a decades-old console most of them never heard of is a price premium...which I say again is totally reasonable for hobbyists).

To be clear, I gladly gave you my money and probably would have given you more ;)

In all Seriousness, what's 250 Euros in today's retro gaming market? I think your a little out of touch and that might be because you were away for two years (Not Trolling). A rgb modded Duo/R runs for $350+ and RX even more. Yes, most people outside this hobby would agree that spending $300 is alot but most people outside this hobby probably don't even know what a PC Engine is. They might even think that the PC Engine and the Turbografx are two completely different consoles. Most people outside this hobby would think that spending more than $60 on a Video Game is too much. People in this hobby know that this is a Bargain, who the hell cares about people outside of the hobby. C'Mon Dude. Just My Rgb Modded RX and Original Rondo puts me in the $600 range.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I've been led to believe... similiar SD 3 threads are sorta non-drama on Sega16... Schmups... PCEfx... etc etc...

I often wonder why our memberbase... and a certain Azn mod seems so balls in vocal...

Then I realise... it's prob because I hate a boring site with no personality...

xROTx

Friend of Sonic

War Room Troll
I picked up the Super SD System 3-- super stoked for it. I love what this company is producing. I don't want to get too far off topic but I do wonder if it's possible to do Sega CD in this manner with an item that plugs into the Genesis Ext port. Either way I'll be excited to see what the future holds

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I picked up the Super SD System 3-- super stoked for it. I love what this company is producing. I don't want to get too far off topic but I do wonder if it's possible to do Sega CD in this manner with an item that plugs into the Genesis Ext port. Either way I'll be excited to see what the future holds

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?272774-Terraonion-New-Product(s)-discussion-thread

We were using this old thread for speculation before the announcement. There was a lot of discussion on various systems.

powerflower

Banned
I've been led to believe... similiar SD 3 threads are sorta non-drama on Sega16... Schmups... PCEfx... etc etc...

I often wonder why our memberbase... and a certain Azn mod seems so balls in vocal...

xROTx

That reminds me of WildBoomBox trying the same proto shit over at Assembler, I mean exact same attitude. He didn't even made it to page 2 until they kicked him. Sorta boring I thought and realised how patient some members were with this autopilot here @ "Evil-NG" :-J

I don't want to get too far off topic but I do wonder if it's possible to do Sega CD in this manner with an item that plugs into the Genesis Ext port. Either way I'll be excited to see what the future holds

I think the library isn't worth producing such a device. The HW is far more complex and the Ext. a joke. Hmmm... Somthing cheap for the Dreamcast (SD) would be cool like a kit with some extras like HDMI or something.

Last edited:

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
You stayed away from these forums for years and decide to pop up with your Nerdism. Go Fuck yourself you spoiled fuck. Go take your fucking complaints to AtariAge. Faggit.
Be Gone Dude. No one noticed you were gone and we will go on when you decide to disappear again for two years. You are nothing here and not considered NG family. Again, Fuck off.
Wow, that escalated quickly!

I'm going to stop this shit out of Respect for the Terra Onion Group
Kinda too late... You can't think ANY of that was helpful to their business to make some sales here on an impressive product they literally spent thousands of work hours developing among their team members! Way too much disproportionate rage over this exchange...

I wouldn't be bothered by noob questions either. Even the most annoying ones act as publicity to bump the thread and someone who hasn't visited this forum in months and is a PC Engine fan sees it for the first time as a result. Not a bad thing actually.

We have this problem at PCEngineFX too sadly, a perfectly positive news thread about a new product all fans should be able to get behind gets crapped on by old grudges, jealousies, resentments, etc. The PC Engine Kickstarter homebrew CD game Henshin Engine comes to mind... Way too much drama ensued and I lost considerable respect for the forum...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The mods here try to avoid banning believe it or not.

However, if you truly add nothing or push a topic you've been asked not to, they will do it.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
We have this problem at PCEngineFX too sadly, a perfectly positive news thread about a new product all fans should be able to get behind gets crapped on by old grudges, jealousies, resentments, etc. The PC Engine Kickstarter homebrew CD game Henshin Engine comes to mind... Way too much drama ensued and I lost considerable respect for the forum...

PCEngineFX is full of wannabees....

Pauls site is gone...

Aarons site is still there... but let's be honest here... last time i visited a few of the guys decided they wanted an extended "chat" with myself...

Not sayin' it's a bad thing... I'm just sayin' they're shit at it...

xROTx

PS. You could ban me I suppose... and see how I would react...

EDIT. As for NG.com... I am here RIGHT now in this thread... and the warnings have been there for weeks...

Neosd likes it here and our memberbase gets his attention in most regards... and so, I will give a certain amount of provision to how he feels...

Take that how you like... but I aint one for blinking...

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
PCEngineFx is just a shame, its the same 10 guys bitching about rising game prices in every thread. And they've been doing it for like 15 years, way before prices on Turbo stuff even got crazy. As a result, nobody ever sells any decent games there for fear of being harassed, they just go to eBay for top dollar, which of course makes prices go up even more. Dumbest cycle ever

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
In all Seriousness, what's 250 Euros in today's retro gaming market?

Basically a drop in the bucket in Turbo Land. Dracula X alone with spine is pushing that price.

For the typical American Turbografx user, the cost of the CD Rom Unit, Docking Bay, import converter/region mod, RGB Mod, and purchase of Super system cards is MUCH more than the cost of a core grafx, and Super CD Rom 3 system. Then assuming you want to play Dracula X, we would be talking another $180.00 to $240.00 on top of that.

For the average PC Engine owner, this is a steal compared to the cost of a shitty briefcase setup. Cool looking system, but junk.

Even figuring in the Duo/DuoR/DuoRX owners who drop $300+ on a console, then have to get it recapped, and possibly new laser assembly and/or refurbishment costs, and region mod, you are getting a similar setup for cheaper, that plays every game.

It's worth the cost of entry alone, to not have to worry about faulty lasers.

This unit is a steal at this price, not just regarding cost, but factoring in the peace of mind that you don't have to worry about repairs and recapping for a long time.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
In all Seriousness, what's 250 Euros in today's retro gaming market? I think your a little out of touch and that might be because you were away for two years (Not Trolling). A rgb modded Duo/R runs for $350+ and RX even more. Yes, most people outside this hobby would agree that spending $300 is alot but most people outside this hobby probably don't even know what a PC Engine is. They might even think that the PC Engine and the Turbografx are two completely different consoles. Most people outside this hobby would think that spending more than $60 on a Video Game is too much. People in this hobby know that this is a Bargain, who the hell cares about people outside of the hobby. C'Mon Dude. Just My Rgb Modded RX and Original Rondo puts me in the $600 range.

That's pretty much what I said, yeah. I think people are focusing a bit too much on my "premium" comment, but I take your point. All I'm saying is that the Super SD 3 isn't just some cheap Game Genie and setting high expectations for its performance based on neosd's reputation isn't unreasonable. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to squeeze every last bit out of these old consoles, up to and including the best A/V quality possible, and that means getting grilled occasionally by an enthusiastic (and sometimes anal/annoying) community.

xROTx

I'm all for a lively debate until that liveliness shuts down the discussion. When asking relevant questions gets you a "shut the fuck up, nerd" response and discourages further information sharing, we all ultimately get less out of what we put in here and are forced to go elsewhere to get the answers. I think most everyone understands that ng.com is the place to get great technical info while also possibly being subjected to homophobic slurs, but these days, it's often just the slurs. Why dig through that shit when you can read the thread on shmups and get your questions answered without being called a "fagit"?

There's a fine line between having a personality and just being an asshole.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
PCEngineFx is just a shame, its the same 10 guys bitching about rising game prices in every thread. And they've been doing it for like 15 years, way before prices on Turbo stuff even got crazy. As a result, nobody ever sells any decent games there for fear of being harassed, they just go to eBay for top dollar, which of course makes prices go up even more. Dumbest cycle ever

Haha, yeah, there's truth in that (and I include myself as part guilty, heh).

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
guys,

Today i had an awesome day, i been thinking all day about how to improve an idea that has sourrounded my mind for the last years and i finally found the pieces i was looking for.

I just can´t believe how many time you guys miss talking or thinking about worthless things.

This is such a nice place to talk about technology, from creators to users to users again (as we are aswel).

And everyone is talking about : capacitors, prices and cables. Things that are worth nothing

Just forget about all that, put your minds on the device and tell us what you guys would like to be added. Hardware is closed, pcbs are already manufactured (we are not going to do hardware changes anymore) but software is a living part.

Lets make something interesting to come out from here.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
guys,

Today i had an awesome day, i been thinking all day about how to improve an idea that has sourrounded my mind for the last years and i finally found the pieces i was looking for.

I just can´t believe how many time you guys miss talking or thinking about worthless things.

This is such a nice place to talk about technology, from creators to users to users again (as we are aswel).

And everyone is talking about : capacitors, prices and cables. Things that are worth nothing

Just forget about all that, put your minds on the device and tell us what you guys would like to be added. Hardware is closed, pcbs are already manufactured (we are not going to do hardware changes anymore) but software is a living part.

Color me curious, you guys have a frontend made up for it yet? I don't think I remember seeing one yet :D

neosd

Neosd Developer
Color me curious, you guys have a frontend made up for it yet? I don't think I remember seeing one yet :D

Do you mean an user interface ? if so, yes its on both our video and gadgetuk´s

We have sent a firmware update with screenshots working and the tool to create the database with those to Gadgetuk this week aswel.

The UI was designed by Alien

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Do you mean an user interface ? if so, yes its on both our video and gadgetuk´s

We have sent a firmware update with screenshots working and the tool to create the database with those to Gadgetuk this week aswel.

The UI was designed by Alien

Cool beans, I'll check it out when I get home tonight :D

Edit: Just watched it. I'm digging it, clean and simple!

Last edited:

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
hmm , it's hard to say , the pce system 3 seem so complete and we haven't it yet , i would see some improvement for the neosd (remember the juggling monkey?) but ....

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
guys,

Apologies. I'll keep it on topic and drop the debate about the forum.

I honestly can't think of anything I'd want added right now. Just looking forward to getting my hands on it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Apologies. I'll keep it on topic and drop the debate about the forum.

I honestly can't think of anything I'd want added right now. Just looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Same Here.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member

Pipe dream:

LaserActive NEC LD2-ROM support :loco:

Save States?

Cheat Database/Game Genie?

What else could there be?

powerflower

Banned
"Today i had an awesome day, i been thinking all day about how to improve an idea that has sourrounded my mind for the last years and i finally found the pieces i was looking for...

... the next project which involves teh luvly Dreamcast."

I'm so ok with that ;)

Last edited: