PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
As far as the power slider is concerned: It's nothing that couldn't be gotten around with a 3D printer or an exacto knife. If it is truly an addable feature, then I'd like to formally proffer it as a suggestion for a future firmware update.

I seriously wouldn't remove that slider protection switch. Whilst a lot of the time removal of the cart whilst its on might be OK, you do risk damaging a connection on the databus or address bus. That slider is there for a reason!

EDIT: Just practice removing carts whilst the SNES is powered up using one of those region adapters (to bypass the SNES cart lock). See how long your SNES lasts...

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I seriously wouldn't remove that slider protection switch. Whilst a lot of the time removal of the cart whilst its on might be OK, you do risk damaging a connection on the databus or address bus. That slider is there for a reason!

EDIT: Just practice removing carts whilst the SNES is powered up using one of those region adapters (to bypass the SNES cart lock). See how long your SNES lasts...

Ok then, what about an adapter that extends past or above the power slider, that has its own locking mechanism?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Ok then, what about an adapter that extends past or above the power slider, that has its own locking mechanism?

Just stick a slot on the unit itself bypassing the stock slot. Strictly for dumping.

A 2"×1/8" cut on the sides or back. Shallow slot reader.

No console modification needed but lots of crack would help some people here.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Just stick a slot on the unit itself bypassing the stock slot. Strictly for dumping.

Then you could add a screen and some controls..and voila, you have a Turbo Express.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I know, I know...completely fpga everything and modify the front to accept hucards rather than the base.

I just want it as is, 100% sold on it.

Last edited:

Syntax_x

n00b
I'd drop the dream of dumping via the ssd3s, it's already a niche item and after majority of sales are complete the percentage of users wanting to dump cards would be tiny.
Your flogging a dead horse.

The majority of users will probably hit ROT up for a "link" dump that onto an sd and not look back.

Those that have a need to dump would already have the means to do so, and seriously, what's left to dump? Probably bugger all.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Only new homebrews haven't been dumped so there's no need. Like NeoSD mentioned, he had thought about it and moved on.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I hope this project spurs on additional translation projects for PCE-CD. Looks like there are a metric ton of RPGs on CD.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
On the subject of HDMI or VGA output or something - maybe a pass through could be later developed by someone - something that has the male and female expansion connectors and just has an FPGA, some RAM (for screen buffer - might not even be required, might be possible in the FPGA?) and connects to the VD bus and whatever other clock / sync signals would be required for video output. That in theory could work and be a nice product too. The idea is that plugs into the expansion, then the Super 3 plugs into that.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Yodd recommended a gig size but I wonder how many games require Japanese knowledge.

And yes, I see Yodd's here.

Edit Not an exact number, a rough percentage. Not a fair question really.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Yodd recommended a gig size but I wonder how many games require Japanese knowledge.

And yes, I see Yodd's here.

Edit Not an exact number, a rough percentage.

I've been looking into the games..Yodd recomended a 256gb card to hold the library and that may be about right. I'm guessing more than half of the Japanese library is going to be largely unplayable by those who can't speak Japanese. There are a *lot* of RPGs, digital comics and text heavy strategy games. Then there are the mahjong Pachi-Slot & Hanafuda games that require some knowledge of how those games are played (and probably deciphering menus)

Might be beneficial to look at lists like this: https://www.video-games-museum.com/en/sys/45-pc-engine-cd/2/all and go off the genre to get an idea if it is playable (RPG, Adventure, Quiz, Strategy are probably hard for non-native speakers)

On the US side..There are less than 50 official releases I think.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Then people's definition of playable comes into play. I found JP Deep Fear (Saturn) easy while others said it was hard to complete.

powerflower

Banned
Yes, but you can´t advertishe a function that needs your console to be modded.

I mean, i am not saying we are not going to do it, but adding a feature that needs to mod your console has repercussions and may confuse users.

Example : we don´t want to be answering emails everyday about : the dumping function dosen´t works. And believe me, this is going to happen if we do it

Please invest your time in better things. This feature is totally unnecessary.

Guys please, you wanna legal dumps of your games? Go to emupara.. see? Simple as that. Let them guys work on far more important things like something for the DC :)

Last edited:

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
I hope this project spurs on additional translation projects for PCE-CD. Looks like there are a metric ton of RPGs on CD.

I hope this happens too. There's tons of cool stuff on the Jap catalogue of the PCEngine which are unplayable without knowing some Japanese. I'd even love to play the PCE version of Snatcher in English using the Sega CD translation.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Lulz... I wake up to something new everyday it seems...

The device is good.... very very good... BUT... the first thing nerds wanna do is see if you can haxxor it into something else:D

GEEZ...

xROTx

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I've easily fit every single game I would ever care about on one 64GB card btw - like 100+ CD games and all HuCard Games and I still have space. I then got another 64GB card to support testing further and have put another 120 ish games onto that card which I will start testing at lunch. You probably would need a 256GB card or two (assuming 256GB works) if you wanted to fit every single game but tbh, most people wont want every single CD game. My advice to people on a budget is get 1 x 64GB card to start with, unless you have more than say 100 games you want to play from the off.

powerflower

Banned
Lulz... I wake up to something new everyday it seems...

The device is good.... very very good... BUT... the first thing nerds wanna do is see if you can haxxor it into something else:D

GEEZ...xROTx

Haxxing into what? Into a coffeemachine or something...? I don't get it. Must be a millennials issue or something...

On another note:

Nerds = hipster girly girls...complaining and blah...

Real retro gamers = people who are collecting since the beginning like mid 80s or 90s... who are like "thank you neosd team for that gift!" And 240 is a steal!! I wouldn't sell any of my products to such people, it means only trouble in the long run.

As an ex-console modder/tech we accepted only smooth customers. In return our service was like "impossible is is not an option for us" (Geht nicht gibt's nicht - sounds better in German ;) ) As long as they didn't want a coffeemachine out of their PS1. Regulars had lifetime warranty anyway...Nothing more unsatisfying than a unhappy customer.

Last edited:

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Yodd is right , if you want absolutely every games you need 256GB sd card .
I downloaded every games i want , removing just mahjong games , Japanese rpg and photo games and i'm at 70 gig hucards included , i'll use a 128GB card , but yes if you remove some more games , 64GB card is fine .

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello

New production update.

Final pcb panels have been finished, we got two samples and the rest have been sent to the SMT factory for soldering.

We still don´t know if SMT factory will be able to solder the chips on the pcbs the last week of december or if we will have to wait until the first week of January.
I expect to not know this until last day of December at all ...

pce_panel_final.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Hello

New production update.

Final pcb panels have been finished, we got two samples and the rest have been sent to the SMT factory for soldering.

We still don´t know if SMT factory will be able to solder the chips on the pcbs the last week of december or if we will have to wait until the first week of January.
I expect to not know this until last day of December at all ...

pce_panel_final.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Please invest your time in better things. This feature is totally unnecessary.

Guys please, you wanna legal dumps of your games? Go to emupara.. see? Simple as that. Let them guys work on far more important things like something for the DC :)

Hey, bud, NeoSD asked for future firmware ideas and I gave him the first idea that came to mind. No doubt the team that works on firmware updates isn't going to waste a ton of time on a feature that I even admitted wasn't wholly necessary. But that doesn't mean they can't look into the plausibility of adding such an option.

PS - Take your DC speculation talk to the other thread where it belongs. Where are your firmware suggestions? Noob.

Edit: Boards look great can't wait to put this thing through it's paces early next year.

Double edit: Y'know, I'd damn near buy a poster with a picture of those boards (shown just like they are front and back, maybe just lined up a little more square) still in their larger sheet.

Last edited:

powerflower

Banned
Didn't wanna be rude. I was speaking of all the noobs here b/c of PCE. I'm a noob here too but no noob when it comes to gaming history. (sarcasm mode) Pulstar and Blazing AES should make me soopercool here, right;)

You are definitely no noob in my books. Didn't wanna step on your toes...if so, sorry:)

And yes I may be OT, sorry. Just wanted to say that there could be more important things like a dump option which is kind of on topic? Oh, and I have posted a firmware update suggestion for the PCE3 ( if I didn't mess that post up) : Save states. Cheat stuff would be awesome too as a member posted.

Other than that I think this device is perfect as it is. Greets

Last edited: