PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Okay..let's talk about Arcade CD stuff since I had the opportunity to chat extensively with neodev about it. The RAM used for the ssds3 is a single 4MB chip. When arcade card games are used it uses the whole chip when other games are used it uses a smaller portion of the same chip. So the thought that the arcade card chip is going "bad" is not really a thing. However that being said, there is a strong correlation between systems with "noisy buses" and arcade card timing issues. As neodev has explained to me the timing requirements are extremely tight and any extra noise of the lines throws things off. In Pixel's case it is possible that the mods that existed to fix the earlier audio / video issues may have increased the noise in the SSDS3 and caused issues with ACD games. In other people's systems with arcade card issues they likely have noisy systems..some of which could do with a recap ASAP. Alex has told me he tested 20 PC-Engines early in the SSDS3 lifecycle, 2 of them had arcade card issues out the gate. Neodev is continually working to improve arcade card simulation...but the base hardware is a little out of his control.

In game reset. yes it sucks that it doesn't work. neodev is still looking at it...but there just isn't a universal safe spot in the software to insert code needed to support the function. He plans to keep tooling away on it though.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Okay..let's talk about Arcade CD stuff since I had the opportunity to chat extensively with neodev about it. The RAM used for the ssds3 is a single 4MB chip. When arcade card games are used it uses the whole chip when other games are used it uses a smaller portion of the same chip. So the thought that the arcade card chip is going "bad" is not really a thing. However that being said, there is a strong correlation between systems with "noisy buses" and arcade card timing issues. As neodev has explained to me the timing requirements are extremely tight and any extra noise of the lines throws things off. In Pixel's case it is possible that the mods that existed to fix the earlier audio / video issues may have increased the noise in the SSDS3 and caused issues with ACD games. In other people's systems with arcade card issues they likely have noisy systems..some of which could do with a recap ASAP. Alex has told me he tested 20 PC-Engines early in the SSDS3 lifecycle, 2 of them had arcade card issues out the gate. Neodev is continually working to improve arcade card simulation...but the base hardware is a little out of his control.

In game reset. yes it sucks that it doesn't work. neodev is still looking at it...but there just isn't a universal safe spot in the software to insert code needed to support the function. He plans to keep tooling away on it though.

good to know!

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Thanks for the update! It’s good to know the Arcade card issues are not with the SSDS3.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
So a firmware update dropped. I messed around with it and I like it better than the old one. It seems the soft reset shortcut has been dropped all together. That's a shame because the console doesn't have a reset button and it's kind of tedious to turn it on and off every time you need to switch the game.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So a firmware update dropped. I messed around with it and I like it better than the old one. It seems the soft reset shortcut has been dropped all together. That's a shame because the console doesn't have a reset button and it's kind of tedious to turn it on and off every time you need to switch the game.

Yeah, this is a major complaint for me as well. I'd love to add a reset button to the SSDS3 itself, but have zero idea if this is possible or where to start. I know you could just add a momentary switch between the power in and the SSDS3, but no idea if the PCE would even allow that. Since it passes through the console first.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Yeah, this is a major complaint for me as well. I'd love to add a reset button to the SSDS3 itself, but have zero idea if this is possible or where to start. I know you could just add a momentary switch between the power in and the SSDS3, but no idea if the PCE would even allow that. Since it passes through the console first.

Is there a way to just add a reset button like thru modding? I'm going to wear out my power switch at the rate I'm going.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I dislike turning of my SuperGrafx as well, so that's why I bought a wireless wall power adapter. People use it for outdoor lights, but works fine on my consoles. Liked it so much I bought more and tricked out my setup so I can power on/off like a boss.

There are solutions.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
There are solutions.

Thanks. I have a smart plug adapter thing like that. I guess I could use that. Save the switch from wear and tear. Just a damn shame they couldn't get the soft reset option working.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Good price, about $60 less than I paid.

Kinda liking the Turbo Everdrive combined with the sparkplug on this tiny PVM, honestly. Feels way, way, way more lightweight than the SSDS3 (obviously no cd, but whatever).