Phantom protector?

machfive

n00b
I've had my Phantom-1 for more than 2 years now and it's holding up well so far. Still, I'm a little worried about the force required to insert many MVS carts. I've not really posted on NG forums in, uh, a year ^_^, but I seem to recall someone making a protector that you put on the Phantom using the existing screws? Anyone remember/recommend this method?

daybona

Juz,
had one since 02 never used a protector, never had a problem.

Although there are some people on this forum who think that the p1 is the reincarnation of satan.

personally, i think its a waste of money.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
machfive said:
I've had my Phantom-1 for more than 2 years now and it's holding up well so far. Still, I'm a little worried about the force required to insert many MVS carts. I've not really posted on NG forums in, uh, a year ^_^, but I seem to recall someone making a protector that you put on the Phantom using the existing screws? Anyone remember/recommend this method?

If you have a dead AES cart I think that would be better to use. The plexiglass protector seems like it would help crack the pcb faster.

machfive

n00b
daybona said:

Although there are some people on this forum who think that the p1 is the reincarnation of satan.

Why are people down on the Phantom? Sincerely curious - for me, it has worked very well, and I'm happy for being able to play games like Metal Slug that would cost me a month's work to pay for in AES ^_^

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Phantom Protector

daybona said:

MVS Adaptors are simply an alternative to Superguns, Consolized MVS Boards, or expensive HOME carts. Everyone has their own personal preferance from among those choices. What one person prefers may differ from anothers. In the end, they each have their plusses and minusses.

However, just for the record and in case it helps anyone who may be on the fence about the Phantom-1 Protector, here is my two cents. In one word, AVOID.

I purchased one last year purely out of boredom and curiosity. Well, the truth is that I was very disappointed. Yes it uses exisitng holes on the phantom but the holes drilled on the plexi protectors do not line up properly. I tried every possible configuration and orientation. In the end, I was forced to make some of the holes wider, and in the case of one of the screws, simply not mount it at all.

Furthermore, the assembly took way longer then explained or assumed. The instructions are incomplete, have horrible unclear diagrams, and are written in Engrish. It is not clear on where the washers, lock washers, and spacers are placed in the "sandwhich" of phantom boards and plexi sheets. It takes forever to get the correct layout so that the damn thing assembles correctly. It also involves alot more tools then it states because you have to hold some of the parts with a steady hand in hard to get to sections of the adaptor during assembly.

And as if all this was not enough, the "PURIST" home cart collectors can simply forget about getting this protector! Why? Let's put it this way...if "cart insertion marks" is a concern of yours, you will be climbing the walls with this thing in regards to the damage it causes to the home system cartridge port! You have to wiggle it at angles multiple times and force it in order to get it to plug into your system because of all the protruding screw heads. As a result, the cartridge port of your home system suffers major scuffing and scratching. And this was just from short term use, I can only imagine the damage from long term use!

For me it was no big deal as I am not a "PURIST" in regards to my home carts and/or home system. And for most gamers it may not be either. But super collectors be weary of this. In the end, most people could simply build this kind of a "protector" if they wanted to. The main reason I decided to buy one was to avoid ending up with something that looked "cheap" or "homemade". However, that is exactly what I got and so hence that is why I am lettign everyone know about this. For me, it was no big loss. $30 some odd dollars down the drain. But for others, it might really make them mad so this is a helpfull warning. AVOID!

Your results may vary of course, I mean maybe somebody had a more positive experience with theirs and they can share?
:spock:
Regards,
Billy Pitt

machfive

n00b
Thanks for the heads up SuperGun, that was exactly the info I was looking for!

daybona

Juz,
Just push the P1 into the mvs cart, not the other way around.

Do this PRIOR to inserting the P1 into the system and you should be fine.

I'm proud to say that I own the most flexible Neo setup.

I can play MVS or AES in one smaller portable package.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
SuperGun said:
I purchased one last year purely out of boredom and curiosity.

Billy-

I never even knew someone actually made such a thing for the Phantom-1. Are they still available, where can I get one, any web page link etc. etc.?

Just curious, thanks.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
If your looking at the protector case thats currently doing the rounds on ebay don't buy it unless you are prepared to do some work on it... Listen to SuperGun mate, the edges of the protector are sharp (almost took my damn finger off) and the holes on the protector and phantom are not in alignment. Clearly not enuff work has been done on it... Tsk ! an extra 30mins and it could have been a good idea.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I have an empty AES cart shell that I'll sell cheap. All you have to do is trim it down and make a nice shell for the Phantom.