PICKnMIX Help & Support thread.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Could you try connecting a controller to the board? Or does it not have on-board controller ports?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Unfortunately I don't have a Select button on the cab, only Player 1 Start and Player 2 start. I can try it out on the big red next weekend, but it doesn't seem to work well on the 1 slot due to the lack of select button

You can also use player 1 start to enable PICKnMIX.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I thought start and select were two different Pick n Mix modes. I prefer the select button Pick n Mix more.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I thought start and select were two different Pick n Mix modes. I prefer the select button Pick n Mix more.

There are but he doesn't have a select button at the moment. Using the alternative selection method is better than nothing.

Maxisoft2

n00b
Hey guys!

I just got the Pick-n-Mix working on my MVS M1BBV and love it - great to have it run in the background. I do however have a problem that I can't wrap my head around. Once "Stakes Winner" is reached in the Pick n Mix I get an address error screen. It always happens at the same instant, when the attract mode shows the horse race track the first time. The game works fine when started regularly via the 161in1 menu, however. The errors only occur during Pick and Mix. Since I can't exclude the game from the list, I can't really use Pick and Mix at all, because it keeps crashing at that point in the attract. Any ideas what I could try? I already activated HW check - when I do that, the Adress Error screen changes into an Illegal Instruction error screen. Would love to hear your thoughts / ideas what I could try to do to fix it. I am good with a soldering iron but have no clue if there is something I could do with the card to fix this? Maybe I just was unlucky and got a cart with a bad Stakes Winner rom?

161-1.jpg
161-2.jpg
161-3.jpg
161-4.jpg

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I would try a different cart.

Maxisoft2

n00b
Hey guys! Thanks for the help. I actually opened up my cart - and it seems I got a brand new revision! It's certainly at least a V2 judging by the chips. However, now the bridge between the two pins is already in place. So this might be a V3? Sadly, no matter what I do, it always crashes at Stakes Winner 1 & 2. Happens on no other game. And only while using Pick n Mix. Really wierd... Happens on my 4 slot, 2 slot and 1 slot boards all-over (they all have Unibios 4.0 of course). They seem to also have adressed the audio issues - Audio sounds great right now. nero.jpg

mario64

n00b
Hey guys! Thanks for the help. I actually opened up my cart - and it seems I got a brand new revision! It's certainly at least a V2 judging by the chips. However, now the bridge between the two pins is already in place. So this might be a V3? Sadly, no matter what I do, it always crashes at Stakes Winner 1 & 2. Happens on no other game. And only while using Pick n Mix. Really wierd... Happens on my 4 slot, 2 slot and 1 slot boards all-over (they all have Unibios 4.0 of course). They seem to also have adressed the audio issues - Audio sounds great right now. View attachment 57414
Mind sharing the link where you purchased this one? Thanks

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
Hey guys!

I just got the Pick-n-Mix working on my MVS M1BBV and love it - great to have it run in the background. I do however have a problem that I can't wrap my head around. Once "Stakes Winner" is reached in the Pick n Mix I get an address error screen. It always happens at the same instant, when the attract mode shows the horse race track the first time. The game works fine when started regularly via the 161in1 menu, however. The errors only occur during Pick and Mix. Since I can't exclude the game from the list, I can't really use Pick and Mix at all, because it keeps crashing at that point in the attract. Any ideas what I could try? I already activated HW check - when I do that, the Adress Error screen changes into an Illegal Instruction error screen. Would love to hear your thoughts / ideas what I could try to do to fix it. I am good with a soldering iron but have no clue if there is something I could do with the card to fix this? Maybe I just was unlucky and got a cart with a bad Stakes Winner rom?

View attachment 57329
View attachment 57330
View attachment 57331
View attachment 57332

I have that type of problems too, my 161 in 1 is the bana v1 versions typical but the Rev board is the last ( suposed to be rev4 ) maybe for that have problems with picknmix , but that rev sems to be really stable and dont have problems with typical bugs in 161 in 1 like sound or aerofighters 3 i dont notice it.

Maxisoft2

n00b
Just to let you all know: I have a V4 of the cart, pumped up voltage to 5.15V - no more crashes.

Dsantos82

n00b
Hi im new using unibios 4.0 Does picknmix work on 161 in 1 v2? MY sistem Crash when i activate The picknmix my card is The last revision The green one enny Help?

Last edited:

NES_4lfe

n00b
Really love this mode, and since I don't take the 161 cart out of my system, I always boot into this mode.
Ended up making a mod on P1 Start button so that it holds itself down on every boot for 10 seconds.
It's just an ATTiny85 with pin 5 connected to NO terminal on Player 1 Start microswitch: Github Arduino sketch
Be great if there was a setting in software to make pick-n-mix mode the default mode on boot, but for now the mod will do for me.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Hi all!

Got my unibios 4.0 installed today. It was a little harrowing, as all the pins came bent outward, away from the chip. on both sides,... but after nearly breaking it about 5 times, I got it in there and running. It was weird because the previous one I had (from 10 years ago) went in just fine on the first try.

A little late to the party, but I can't seem to get into the game select menu, no matter what I do. Not sure if it's user error or if I just have a really janky 161. It's a v1 with the removable cable and the zig-zaggy trace near UV1 that I'm terrified to try soldering (Edit: 5/8/22 - I did it anyway, and the voltage regulator thing, and it works just fine).

It's an MV-1 and when I try starting it up while holding start, a random game seems to start (but usually Metal Slug 3 with a corrupted parental advisory screen).

I assume you're supposed to hold the start button for about 7 seconds, like the 161 menu, right?

I did get some errors with the cart, but after q-tipping the cart contacts with deoxit and sticking it in and taking it out a few times, I was able to do a dance sacrifice to the gods and get it to play normally. Still no menu though.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Hi all!

Got my unibios 4.0 installed today. It was a little harrowing, as all the pins came bent outward, away from the chip. on both sides,... but after nearly breaking it about 5 times, I got it in there and running. It was weird because the previous one I had (from 10 years ago) went in just fine on the first try.

A little late to the party, but I can't seem to get into the game select menu, no matter what I do. Not sure if it's user error or if I just have a really janky 161. It's a v1 with the removable cable and the zig-zaggy trace near UV1 that I'm terrified to try soldering.

It's an MV-1 and when I try starting it up while holding start, a random game seems to start (but usually Metal Slug 3 with a corrupted parental advisory screen).

I assume you're supposed to hold the start button for about 7 seconds, like the 161 menu, right?

I did get some errors with the cart, but after q-tipping the cart contacts with deoxit and sticking it in and taking it out a few times, I was able to do a dance sacrifice to the gods and get it to play normally. Still no menu though.
I think pick n mix needs you to hold select while powering up, not start. At least thats what I have to do on my cab.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I think pick n mix needs you to hold select while powering up, not start. At least thats what I have to do on my cab.
I thought the instructions for the unibios page said you could do it either way?

To enable keep either (1UP START) or (1UP SELECT) pressed as you power on the NeoGeo until you see the UNIVERSE BIOS splash screen.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I thought the instructions for the unibios page said you could do it either way?
yes you can just hold start but make sure your buttons are wired correctly and that your start button is not doing multiple things. Go into the testmode button check to make sure its working right.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
yes you can just hold start but make sure your buttons are wired correctly and that your start button is not doing multiple things. Go into the testmode button check to make sure its working right.
I tried resetting it with BCD and even switching it to console mode and resetting and holding BCD, but no matter what I do, I can't figure out how to get to the button test screen. Is this like a physical test mode button or switch?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
you go into test mode ans the the hardware test. then you use 1up start to cycle tests. To test the 1up start button you need to press and hold down1up start while its on the color test screen. then the button will be depressed when the button test shows.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
you go into test mode ans the the hardware test. then you use 1up start to cycle tests. To test the 1up start button you need to press and hold down1up start while its on the color test screen. then the button will be depressed when the button test shows.
Yeah I got it now thanks. Start is just doing start. I even took a pic lol, but yeah. No idea what's going on. I could make a video if it's helpful.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hi Bill. I believe booting to a random game is expected behavior. What button combination are you pressing to try to access the menu after boot?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Hi Bill. I believe booting to a random game is expected behavior. What button combination are you pressing to try to access the menu after boot?

Heddo Alec! :D I already made this video when I saw your post, but to access the menu I'm holding down start, and it's not doing anything.

and here's a picture of my start button, doin' start button stuff...