PICKnMIX Help & Support thread.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
You'll need a multimetre or something to check the voltage.
Yes I have one, like I said I've done it before but forgot how. 10 years ago I had a reading of 4.7v. We'll see how it goes now (the same?).

I have both stabby probes and recently acquired alligator clip probes (or whatever you call them). I just need to know where and how to stick them. :D

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Google for. "jamma pinout". One lead on one of the 5v pins and the other on one of the ground pins.

I left pick'n mix running for a few hours on my 4-slot during a party. No one played the machine, but it never crashed. The 161-in-1 came with the cab, and attract mode is the only thing I keep it around for. That feature of the Unibios is just that cool!

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Google for. "jamma pinout". One lead on one of the 5v pins and the other on one of the ground pins.

I left pick'n mix running for a few hours on my 4-slot during a party. No one played the machine, but it never crashed. The 161-in-1 came with the cab, and attract mode is the only thing I keep it around for. That feature of the Unibios is just that cool!
Yup, PICKnMIX is an awesome feature. I like to leave it running in the background when I'm doing stuff around the house. It attracts me, lol. I usually end up playing something. It's also fun to try to place which game you're hearing at a given time. I'm surprised by how many I know, just by sound.

As for the jamma pinout, yup, I found it. Didn't find a YouTube video specifically about testing at the edge connector though, so I went ahead and made one for the next guy:

It turns out that the big power supply in the back runs my board (I think maybe the one up top runs the monitor, or just the marquee light?) and the voltage read at 4.3. Unfortunately, 4.7v was as high as it would go, so I still don't know if a full 5.0v would be the fix to my problem. Oddly KOF '99 didn't freeze during the attract mode, but Samurai Shodown 1 still locks up, no matter what. It also errored out on Spinmasters while I was making that video (not shown), and that was recorded after I maxed out the juice.

I was afraid I was killing it while I was turning up the power. Speakers kept sputtering and the screen went black, but I was already doing it so I kept going (as far as it would let me). Obviously everything is fine, but it was harrowing. LOL

I also noticed the screen image contracting more on all white screens, but maybe it always did that and I'm just hypersensitive, looking for problems I might have caused

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I little concerning about the audio. Maybe that pot is altering the 12v line wildly? But I would say 4.7v is still low. Maybe there is some things can be unhooked just to see if the volt raises more to correct the issue before thinking about getting another PSU. There is no garantee that would solve the issue though as these carts can be quite icky.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I little concerning about the audio. Maybe that pot is altering the 12v line wildly? But I would say 4.7v is still low. Maybe there is some things can be unhooked just to see if the volt raises more to correct the issue before thinking about getting another PSU. There is no garantee that would solve the issue though as these carts can be quite icky.

What would I unhook and how would I go about doing that?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Coulda sworn I asked this somewhere and got an answer but now I cant find it and the search keeps coming up with an error.

@Razoola Will Pick N Mix work with the 161 version 2 carts, or is it specific to v1?

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Coulda sworn I asked this somewhere and got an answer but now I cant find it and the search keeps coming up with an error.

@Razoola Will Pick N Mix work with the 161 version 2 carts, or is it specific to v1?
I've read that it does not currently work with v2 carts, but I haven't tried myself.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Good to know (sorry Im getting back to this so much later). Thank you Raz and Alec!

So I installed a UB40 (lol) into my 1 slot consolized MVS and couldn't get Pick N Mix to work with my current 161 cart. I did eventually, but I guess it activates differently on a 1 slot? On my 2 and 4 slot boards (in my cab), you have to hold the game select button at power up, and then it appears as normal. But on a 1 slot (at least in my testing this evening) you have to hold start, let the Neo boot logo pop, coin up once, and then hold A or B. Is that correct, or am I missing/adding a step?

I seem to remember someone asking about it in this thread earlier. Search function doesn't work for me for some reason so I couldn't do some digging.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Billkwando asked a couple of pages back.

Hold start at power on. Then tap A and B to switch games. Hold A or B to bring up the games list.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I've recently removed the supercap hack on my consolized MVS and added an actual battery to the board. Strangely, now that the BIOS has an actual battery to keep settings, I've not been able to boot into Pick-n-mix via holding the coin button or START so consistently and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Rarely I can have it work now.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
You might need to clear the backup ram.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I was having an issue where my MVS would just load the last game that was picked when PickNMix was triggered, changing games during attract mode didn’t work. Clearing the backup RAM fixed it right up, good call @Neo Alec