Pink Mini MVS found! (UPDATE New pics and video!)

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
****UPDATE new pics and video page 2 post #31!****

Just came back from a local gathering known as 'Retro Game Night', its held by a local business that deals in arcade machine sales. You pay 12$ to get in and all of their classic machines are set to freeplay on their 30+ machines on display. When I first got there the lights were off and in the glow of all the arcade machines I saw the Mini Neo cab and got the normal warm feeling that I get whenever I see a Neo Cab in the wild and passed it up cause someone was all ready playing it, it was not until later when someone turned on the lights and I passed it again did I notice it's color. At first I thought to myself "oh the poor thing is so sun bleached" then as I came around to the front I noticed the front kick-panel, and the marquee are the same tint of pink as well. I inspected it very closely and sure enough this is the cabs natural color. I had no idea these existed! I am totally stoked to have seen it in person! Its part of the business owners personal collection, and is NOT for sale.

here are some pics!

image-25.jpg

image-26.jpg

image-27.jpg

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Repainted.

Side panel lettering is not a match. Marquee looks wrong. Red CPO.

lithy

20 Year Member
Daaaaamn!

Sorry, I could have been more cordial.

The side art lettering is clearly from the conversion kits like this

http://myarcadeart.com/photobucket/neogeo.jpg

not the original cab like this

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18698&d=1410663732

The mini cab was only made as a two slot, so the one slot marquee is what was throwing me off.

The red CPO is the biggest giveaway for me. The CPO is the hardest thing to remake so obviously they just couldn't finish off the look.

It looks clean and well done, if hideous, but I can all but guarantee it was not produced by SNK or Taito to look like that.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member

The mini cab was only made as a two slot, so the one slot marquee is what was throwing me off.

The red CPO is the biggest giveaway for me. The CPO is the hardest thing to remake so obviously they just couldn't finish off the look.

It looks clean and well done, if hideous, but I can all but guarantee it was not produced by SNK or Taito to look like that.

I love how people LOVE to spew out info like it is FACT.

What you don't seem to know Lithy is the Neo Geo cabs with one slot DO NOT say MVS on the side because it is not a multi cart system (duh) as you can clearly see from the original flyer by SNK the one slot cabinets say Neo Geo system, rather than MVS.
and for further proof just look at the hard MVS page, don't be so quick to judge
http://www.hardmvs.com/xml/usa/usCabs.htm

NeoGeoF.JPG

I checked closely and the sideart is not painted its vinyl and the lettering is NOT a label or vinyl sticker its official, the maquee was not a vinyl stick either, everything checked out.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Pink or not I'd love to have one of those. Also, that Snatcher shirt is badass.

lithy

20 Year Member
I love how people LOVE to spew out info like it is FACT.

What you don't seem to know Lithy is the Neo Geo cabs with one slot DO NOT say MVS on the side because it is not a multi cart system (duh) as you can clearly see from the original flyer by SNK the one slot cabinets say Neo Geo system, rather than MVS.
and for further proof just look at the hard MVS page, don't be so quick to judge
http://www.hardmvs.com/xml/usa/usCabs.htm

I checked closely and the sideart is not painted its vinyl and the lettering is NOT a label or vinyl sticker its official, the maquee was not a vinyl stick either, everything checked out.

Whoa bud, you're 'spewing' the same conjecture as fact. I am pointing out the inconsistencies between this cab and official cabs, but I guess now that there is a report from a long time member in Florida, I'll just go ahead and accept this unique and extremely rare and not for sale piece of SNK history as the real deal and start gathering my thousands to try to buy it.

I do know that the one slot lettering was different. Several of the photos on HardMVS were submitted by me to Briggs. My point is that you are telling me it has taken until 2014 for a single pink cab to surface and that is extremely unlikely. I was not saying the side art lettering was a sticker, only that the lettering style was from the conversion kits which is much easier to recreate when redoing a cab.

Of course a picture of the serial number sticker would have been extremely helpful. Maybe next time they do this, you can try to get a pic of that.

http://s232.photobucket.com/user/Anselmdante/media/Label.jpg.html

The red CPO is still the biggest question mark I have. Why go through all that trouble of making a pink cab, going so far as to do the marquee and stop short on the CPO? The answer is because reproduction CPOs are tough, much tougher than even a marquee to recreate.

We could get into the actual quality of the color on the wood, because these cabs are not really painted they are laminated particle board, and that should be relatively easy to tell apart although it might help to have an original side by side. At the same time, it is relatively easy to get new laminate done. Its also just as easy to recreate the entire side panels with the right wood skills and tools.

It is well done, but ultimately, without some more serious evidence, you don't have me convinced that it isn't redone.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

This is a one off from the factory, it is screened without mvs as it was a one slot, the CPO in the picture however is just one I made to play one as the original panel that was on the machine was cracking from use. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411301041.962342.jpg
I believe it was made around the time of the dedicated samsho 2 cabs and they just used some extra white to piece it together. It still has its original serial tag on the front.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
That white cab is a custom..those pics have been floating around for years. The sam sho kits were not white..they had large stickers that went all over the cab...i owned a full set of them at one point.

SNK didnt make cabs in pink or white...lol

*edit* Just as an fyi, I got that info from Tony...so Im not talking out of my ass. In my small circle of neo geo fanboys up here, we always thought that cab was a factory thing. We got on the discussion one day in chat and this cab came up. The one i had the picture of had this wacky cp overlay that had the neo geo logo written all over it...in the style of the old trapper keepers from the 80s. Tony laughed that we thought that was legit, commenting that they never released a cab like that.

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Pink Mini MVS found!

That white cab is a custom..those pics have been floating around for years. The sam sho kits were not white..they had large stickers that went all over the cab...i owned a full set of them at one point.

SNK didnt make cabs in pink or white...lol

The only pics floating around are the ones I took and it's been agreed upon that it is official. I have a complete snk official kit that goes to convert counter top models of the same era and they used white and gray, however side art is not the same as you can see here ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411302048.733456.jpg
Here is the decal ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411302089.089434.jpg
And here is the front ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411302150.407753.jpg
Think about it why would someone create a custom white cab and sell it to a laundry mat? Custom pieces remain on the hands of collectors and they certainly don't generate official labels and have them produced in the same factory :-)

Edit: also the sam sho cabs were wight, check the 2nd pic on hard mvs and you see where the side was ripped off in the corner and its white underneath.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Why would snk make a one off white cab and sell it to a laundry mat? Arcade ops do some really weird shit sometimes.

Ill just stick with what Tony told me till its proven wrong.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
We could get into the actual quality of the color on the wood, because these cabs are not really painted they are laminated particle board, and that should be relatively easy to tell apart although it might help to have an original side by side. At the same time, it is relatively easy to get new laminate done. Its also just as easy to recreate the entire side panels with the right wood skills and tools.

Like I said, the side panel is not painted bur its vinyl covered just like it's supposed to be. I will try and stop by the venue on Monday and see if he still has it on site, perhaps he wont mind if I take more pics.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Like I said, the side panel is not painted bur its vinyl covered just like it's supposed to be. I will try and stop by the venue on Monday and see if he still has it on site, perhaps he wont mind if I take more pics.

I'm curious why you think the side art being vinyl is proof of it being original? All of the conversion kits came with vinyl side art, and repros of that vinyl are easy to come by online.

I actually find it hard to believe we're having this discussion. It's a really nice one-off cabinet someone did, but it's nothing more than a conversion. Who cares, though? Is it any less cool if it is just someone's project?

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm curious why you think the side art being vinyl is proof of it being original? All of the conversion kits came with vinyl side art, and repros of that vinyl are easy to come by online.

I actually find it hard to believe we're having this discussion. It's a really nice one-off cabinet someone did, but it's nothing more than a conversion. Who cares, though? Is it any less cool if it is just someone's project?

Its just funny to me that people think these unicorns are gonna pop out of the woodwork. These are exactly what you said...nice conversions.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
All I can say is here in the US working for an OP during the time. The only cabs available were Red. I can't vouch for other countries.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
US cabs
-RED-
-WOOD GRAIN/GOLD/BLACK- <These are pretty neat>
-Samurai Shodown II Dedicated-
BB

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
No gold or blue?

Goldie, yes. I was referring strictly to the style shown and in the US. Blue cab was EU if I recall.

As BB stated there was a SSII dedicated. We had a flyer for it, just never came across one.