Planning a Japan Trip Next Month

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
Although I already live in Japan, its on the small island of Okinawa. I am taking my motorcycle up north to the main Japanese island 5 September for two weeks to go on a cross-country trip. I plan on going from tip-to-tip, starting in Kagoshima. I plan on going to several big cities (Tokyo, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Nagano, Osaka, and Kyoto). The main idea of the trip is the motorcycle ride, but I want to include some video games (i.e. playing the arcades, collecting, tourist spots).What I need is some ideas from the Neo community as to where to go. I already know Akihabara is on the list. Also, if any of the community members in Japan want to meet up for some games, let me know where you are located at so I can see if it is on my route.

P.S. Motorcycle ideas are welcome too like museums, factories, etc...

aria

Former Moderator
I wish I had something to add, other than perhaps suggesting the LP guide for Japan, but I will say that I deeply envy that sort of trip. Have a fucking blast!

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Even though Akihabara is THE game place in Japan, the best deals on Neo stuff are found at smaller used electronics shops in the middle of nowhere. Found a working AES deck outside on a pile of trash right outside of one of those places.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Sounds like a nice trip.

I'm thinking of driving to Shikoku and back next month.

I'm in Yokohama if you pass through.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I wish I could do something like that. My life since graduating high school has been so boring.

The only interesting places in Japan I've been to were in the Hiroshima area. Iwakuni Castle is a cool sight. There's a huge bridge made of sectioned arches leading to it. Peace Park is pretty interesting for its historical significance too (and don't worry, nobody around there is leery of Americans, like I was afraid of when I was there...).

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
I wish I could do something like that. My life since graduating high school has been so boring.

The only interesting places in Japan I've been to were in the Hiroshima area. Iwakuni Castle is a cool sight. There's a huge bridge made of sectioned arches leading to it. Peace Park is pretty interesting for its historical significance too (and don't worry, nobody around there is leery of Americans, like I was afraid of when I was there...).

CIMG0704.jpg

Is this it?

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
I live in Hikone. I'm about 40 minutes from Kyoto. In Kyoto there is one decent game shop. I also often go to Osaka's DenDen Town. Depending on what you want, it's often better then Akiba.

As for Akiba, be sure to check out MAK Japan, it's a bit hard to find, but a really cool PCB shop. Also Tokyo's Nakano shopping area is the home of the Mandarake Empire. Mandarake Galaxy is the game shop, they have some really crazy stuff for sale.

If you want meet up for Kyoto or Osaka, give me a PM. :)

aria

Former Moderator
As for Akiba, be sure to check out MAK Japan, it's a bit hard to find, but a really cool PCB shop. Also Tokyo's Nakano shopping area is the home of the Mandarake Empire. Mandarake Galaxy is the game shop, they have some really crazy stuff for sale.

I will second Mandarake, I saw some really interesting stuff there.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Is this it?

Yeah, that's the one.

It's difficult to see it from that photo, but the castle is that small looking building on top of the hill. You take a gondola ride to get up to it, and the entire castle is surrounded by a beautiful forest with lots of nice views. At the base of the hill is a small village with lots of traditional Edo-period buildings.

Oh, and inside the castle is a museum full of many different types of nihonto and other antique weaponry, so all around I'd say Iwakuni is an interesting stop for those in the Hiroshima area.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Last time I was in Japan (Nagasaki) a few years ago, there were still some decent arcades that I'm would hope are still there. Among what was there check out London Park which was near the train station. Also in the largest shopping center there, there was an excellent Sega arcade with a pyramid design that had a great selection of fighting games at the time and daily yen specials.

Game store wise there were a few stores, one second hand store with one of the best names ever- Hard Off. (It's not new -so it's hard off), but the prices were extreme in some of the new stores.

I was there for the Kunchi festival which is in October, great time.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4411.html

Also, check out the Atomic Bomb Museum (there is no discussion on why the US did it which I thought was disappointing), Thomas Glover's house (Kirin was created by a Dutchman and that is where he lived), ground zero, and there is a Catholic Church there (Nagasaki was I believe the only open port to outsiders if you're into that kind of stuff there is a history on when the Catholics were executed for there beliefs and a picture of the Pope John Paul standing there at the church.

Last edited:

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Yeah, that's the one.

It's difficult to see it from that photo, but the castle is that small looking building on top of the hill. You take a gondola ride to get up to it, and the entire castle is surrounded by a beautiful forest with lots of nice views. At the base of the hill is a small village with lots of traditional Edo-period buildings.

Oh, and inside the castle is a museum full of many different types of nihonto and other antique weaponry, so all around I'd say Iwakuni is an interesting stop for those in the Hiroshima area.

I've been there, but I did not remember the name of the place.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I can definitely help you locate some places of significance and games in Kyushu. I've been to Fukuoka, Kumamoto, Oita and the countryside, but my brother has lived there for years. There were three arcades in downtown Fukuoka right next to each other. The Sega World was the only one with the goods, and unfortunately even that one had a small area for real games. The arcades are being taken over by casuals, strategy and pseudo-gambling it seems.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Although I already live in Japan, its on the small island of Okinawa. I am taking my motorcycle up north to the main Japanese island 5 September for two weeks to go on a cross-country trip. I plan on going from tip-to-tip, starting in Kagoshima. I plan on going to several big cities (Tokyo, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Nagano, Osaka, and Kyoto). The main idea of the trip is the motorcycle ride, but I want to include some video games (i.e. playing the arcades, collecting, tourist spots).What I need is some ideas from the Neo community as to where to go. I already know Akihabara is on the list. Also, if any of the community members in Japan want to meet up for some games, let me know where you are located at so I can see if it is on my route.

P.S. Motorcycle ideas are welcome too like museums, factories, etc...
Wow, that sounds like a dream. I've heard Japan has some beautiful riding country. :) What kind of bike do you have?

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
Go day is this Saturday and I'm getting excited. Does anyone know if SNK headquarters allows visitors or even if it is worth checking out? Also, besides Akihabara, what other cities have good stores to check out? Finally, I'm planning about two days in Tokyo. If there is anyone in the area who wants to meet up in Akihabra, let me know and I'll PM my cell number.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
Well, the trip is going very well so far. Having a great time riding across Japan. I started in Kagoshima and then went to Nagasaki, then to Hiroshima and here today to the Tokyo area. I'm staying at Yokota Air Base for about a week. I was going to ride up to the very north end, but its starting to get cold out here when the sun goes down. I'm content to ride around here and over to Nagano. I figure I'll spend a couple of days in Tokyo too. Riding through the mountains, forrests and tunnels have been a great experience so far.

I started looking for game stuff. I stopped at one used store and picked up a NEO CD system with 2 controllers for $22. I saw all sorts of stuff. A boxed skeleton shell Sega Saturn caught my eye, but I didn't pick it up. Should I? Tons of famicom disc drives, PSXs, super famicoms, etc. The even had a DUO with no connections for $25. I still have another shop to check in the area. I will be going to Akihabara Friday. If anyone wants to meet up, send a PM and I'll reply back with my phone number.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Sounds like my kind of shopping. How will you get all your purchases home?