Playstation2 to VGA to monitor

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
So I bought a cheap PS2 VGA box on eBay and I'm not sure if it works or if I'm missing something.

I'd link to the box but I'm on mobile. It's called a "PSX2 vga box." I figured it wouldn't work on a couple of the LCD monitors I have and I was right.

So I tried running it through my JPAC to a 15khz monitor that doesn't natively support a VGA connection. That didn't work either.

The ultimate plan is to be able to use it in a Blast City or NNC cab, but I feel like my knowledge of this topic is limited. I'm not sure if this VGA box I have has the proper encoding or if I'm just using it wrong so far.

Can anyone tell me or link me to what I need to get the a good output to arcade monitor with a slim PS2.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
First off you need to figure out exactly what the box is you bought, and what it's doing to your video signal. It's either a cheap-o upscaler, or it just converts the R,G,B, and Composite video to RGBHV at best. Worst case it's upscaling composite video or something.

Secondly, unless you're transcoding from component, you need to go into the system menu of the PS2 and change the component video to RGB output.

You need to really understand how the video signals work from a PS2 and what you have to work with. The vast majority of games will only support a 480i signal (15khz). There are a handful of games that do support 31khz, and look awesome doing it, but you have to manually set the video mode on boot each time, usually by holding X and Triangle as the game boots, then selecting progressive scan mode. This can be a pain in the ass; a lot of times you have to hook the ps2 to a normal composite video display to enable 31khz (progressive scan) and then hook it to your 31khz monitor.

But, there's still another catch; the PS2 outputs sync on green when it's in 31khz mode, and a lot of monitors do not support this. I've successfully used an extron scan stabilizer to get a RGBHV signal from the RGsB that the PS2 outputs. It worked fine in my net city, but again, this requires a "boot display" as well as the caveat of only supporting progressive scan games.

Now that that's all out of the way, if I really wanted my ps2 to live in a cab with a 15khz monitor, I'd use a scart cable with an lm1881 to clean up the sync. You still might need an amp at that point for a JAMMA monitor. This would be my less preferred setup.

If you want it to live in a NNC, your best bet is going to be using an XRGB 2 or XRGB 2+ since those upscale to 640x480 VGA, and would plug right into a Net City or New Net City's monitor. You'd still have to use a JPN21 RGB cable (or euro scart cable with adapter or modded xrgb to accept the euro scart cable) and use a lm1881 to clean up the composite video to get the upscaler a clean sync signal.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
why run it in 31 KHz? not every game supports it, just as skate said. 15 KHz is really good on these things. I just completed a PS -> JAMMA adapter box and will be uploading a vid to my youtube channel tonight to show it off.

and yes skate, the RGB amp and LM1881 sync separation circuit are needed, especially for bi-sync monitors. the Blast and NNC will still need them too.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Step 1.
Get a multisync monitor that can sync 15KHz and 31KHz.

Step 2.
Set your PS2 to component video output.

Step 3.
Get a Component to RGB converter that only transcodes and does not upscale. This can be done purely in the analog domain, dont buy anything that uses DSP (it probably scales).

Step 4.
Hook up to your mulitsync monitor, all games both low res and high res will work properly (The X+Triangle switch for 480p games).

----------------------------------
**********NOTE************
----------------------------------

If you use RGB mode, high res (480p) games won't work with PVM's that don't take component... so you will still need a transcoder. For whatever reason, the PS2 will output component at 480p no matter what even if you set it to rgb mode.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
For whatever reason, the PS2 will output component at 480p no matter what even if you set it to rgb mode.

False. When 480p (progressive) is activated, it outputs VGA Sync-on-green (RGsB) if RGB mode is set instead of component.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Thanks for the help guys. While finding info on the vga box, I came across the description saying that it can't be powered by a PS2 slim. So it's a no go at this point, but I'll keep this page as reference.

Does anyone know where I can find an analog component to rgb/VGA converter that was mentioned by fusion? It seems the simplest and ill be getting a blast city in a few months anyway.

I'll upgrade later if it looks too ugly

skate323k137

10 Year Member
It's still not that simple, VGA transcoders usually won't handle 480i input since VGA starts at 480p.

http://www.keydigital.com/items.asp?ItemCode=KDVA5 this is a boss VGA / Component bi-directional transcoder, but it won't do 480i according to the specs which is what you'd need.

I'd go with lemony's solution for a 15khz monitor, or advice still stands for an xrgb 2 or 2+ for a 31khz monitor.

edit; the reason I recommend lemony's solution for 15khz is you're taking the 15khz RGB directly from the system, all you're doing is amplifying it to an appropriate level and cleaning the sync. No transcoding, upscaling, etc. Definitely the cleanest and best looking solution, and probably cheapest too.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

I'd go with lemony's solution for a 15khz monitor, or advice still stands for an xrgb 2 or 2+ for a 31khz monitor.

edit; the reason I recommend lemony's solution for 15khz is you're taking the 15khz RGB directly from the system, all you're doing is amplifying it to an appropriate level and cleaning the sync. No transcoding, upscaling, etc. Definitely the cleanest and best looking solution, and probably cheapest too.

past part is it's compatible with PS1/2 and 3 with the appropriate controller adapters. Heck, it's compatible with most consoles with the right controller adapters.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I see. So VGA is 480p minimum, which is 31khz? 480i is 15khz.

One of the major reason I would like to do this is because I can play Tekken 4 and 5 without buying the Namco hardware. And I believe they have an option for progressive or not. An XRGB is out of the question at the moment.

I'll take a look at your video later tonight Lemony. I can get a breadboard and start trying to learn the circuits.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I see. So VGA is 480p minimum, which is 31khz? 480i is 15khz.

Exactly.

Tekken 5 does have an option for progressive scan, but like I said before, enabling it requires a 15khz display first, then switching to your progressive scan display. I'd just go 15khz for simplicity and sanity sake. It'll look fine.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
So I wonder if my JPAC idea would work? Since it takes the vga input from computer and knocks it down to 15khz, couldn't I just find a simple composite to vga converter (that actually works) and plug it in there. I could wire the controls separately.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Probably would work but it would look like ass. Stick with RGB.

Lemony Vengeance

In this case, the most simple route is the best route. Not promoting my self too hard here, Just stating a fact.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
False. When 480p (progressive) is activated, it outputs VGA Sync-on-green (RGsB) if RGB mode is set instead of component.

Really? This was many years ago but I thought I actually tested this by putting the ps2 in rgb, activating 480p mode, and hooking it up to a component source. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Oh wait, I think I know where my confusion was.

It's that PS2's DVD playback always uses component output even if you select RGB in the menu.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
In this case, the most simple route is the best route. Not promoting my self too hard here, Just stating a fact.

I agree the simplest is usually the best and I have seen your work around here and it all looks fantastic and more than professional.

Now since I have a JPAC already that amplifies the rgb signal, and ultimarc makes a Playstation AV to JPAC connector with the sync cleaner in the terminal, wouldn't that be the simplest? Is that different from your proposal? I was thinking I could use a vga switch to switch from PS2 to the computer.

Like I said this is all fairly new to me.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Really? This was many years ago but I thought I actually tested this by putting the ps2 in rgb, activating 480p mode, and hooking it up to a component source. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

I'm absolutely sure. I've used PS2's in VGA on several monitors for games that support progressive scan. I could see how you might think it's component video, since 480p component and 480p RGB both would look similarily fucked up on a display that doesn't support progressive scan (i.e. any PVM aside from something like a 20L5 or 14L5 that does higher resolutions)

Here's a thread of me using a PS2 with a VGA sync-on-green monitor, which also contains pretty much everything you need to know about VGA from a PS2 http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11448

Here's a PS2 running on my net city in 31khz, using an extron ss 200 sync stabilizer to strip the sync on green to give the monitor H/V sync

Spoiler:

20131114_141847.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm absolutely sure. I've used PS2's in VGA on several monitors for games that support progressive scan. I could see how you might think it's component video, since 480p component and 480p RGB both would look similarily fucked up on a display that doesn't support progressive scan (i.e. any PVM aside from something like a 20L5 or 14L5 that does higher resolutions)

Here's a thread of me using a PS2 with a VGA sync-on-green monitor, which also contains pretty much everything you need to know about VGA from a PS2 http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11448

Here's a PS2 running on my net city in 31khz, using an extron ss 200 sync stabilizer to strip the sync on green to give the monitor H/V sync

Spoiler:

20131114_141847.jpg.jpg

Yeah I was confused about the DVD playback, read my post above.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I agree the simplest is usually the best and I have seen your work around here and it all looks fantastic and more than professional.

Now since I have a JPAC already that amplifies the rgb signal, and ultimarc makes a Playstation AV to JPAC connector with the sync cleaner in the terminal, wouldn't that be the simplest? Is that different from your proposal? I was thinking I could use a vga switch to switch from PS2 to the computer.

Like I said this is all fairly new to me.

That ultimarc adapter looks to be functionally the same as lemonys solution; amps the RGB and cleans the sync.

Yeah I was confused about the DVD playback, read my post above.

Ahh yes, that is true, DVD's are always component.

tbone3969!

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Spoiler:

20131114_141847.jpg.jpg

Will the Extron SS 200 work if I wanna run GameCube games and original XBOX games in 480p via component on my Viewsonic CRT monitor? It only accepts 31khrz. Been looking all over the place for a way to convert component to VGA. Thanks.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
There's a hacked DVD player update for the PS2 that adds region free and RGB output.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Will the Extron SS 200 work if I wanna run GameCube games and original XBOX games in 480p via component on my Viewsonic CRT monitor? It only accepts 31khrz. Been looking all over the place for a way to convert component to VGA. Thanks.
I use key digital devices to transcode. When I used that extron sync device the PS2 was in RGB mode.

SS-200 is only going to handle the sync signal itself, helpful for sync on green etc but not helpful for your case.

My favorite [progressive scan capable] component to RGB/VGA transcoder is the Key Digital KD-VA5 but they are hard to find. Shit works great though.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
A good buddy of mine swears by a Mayflash transcoder that does Component to VGA, and I see some sparse info online that Smash players like it, too, but no firsthand info.