Portal 2: Time to play

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Beat single player last night. Started achievement whoring via chapter select and will finish that up this weekend. Hopefully I'll have time tackle co-op this weekend too. I've read that co-op is the "deep end" of Portal compared to single player, so I'm anxious to check it out.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Finished it already and damn, it felt short, perhaps because I was having such a great time with it...

Time to play co-op with my girlfriend. Also a 2nd playthrough with commentary mode. That's always interesting

mookystains

Chairman Kaga sez, "Dakis-san's the one who's goin
Ok, I beat this today. There was one thing that bugged me till the end.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Maybe im seeing things but in Chapter 8, on the level where wheatly has to create an exit for you, i swore i saw someone run into the exit. I went so far as to look up the video for it on youtube. About 1 minute into the video, it looks like something running into the exit, though its not that clear on the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOhAz6UXACw&feature=relmfu
Theres no mention of it for the rest of the game.
AM I SEEING THINGS? anyone else see that?

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Ok, I beat this today. There was one thing that bugged me till the end.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Maybe im seeing things but in Chapter 8, on the level where wheatly has to create an exit for you, i swore i saw someone run into the exit. I went so far as to look up the video for it on youtube. About 1 minute into the video, it looks like something running into the exit, though its not that clear on the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOhAz6UXACw&feature=relmfu
Theres no mention of it for the rest of the game.
AM I SEEING THINGS? anyone else see that?

I saw it too. It's P-body, the coop robot

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Beat the game this weekend. What an awesome game!
In a way, I wish I could have erased the first Portal game from my mind, most of the puzzles seemed a bit easy (due to the experience of playing the first). There were around 4-5 puzzles that I had to put the game down and gather my thoughts.
Some quick thoughts...I'll try to to spoil anything. Just in case:
Spoiler:

Wish there were more puzzles involving the colored gels. Really liked using them and thought some were introduced kind of late.
I liked the areas from Chapters 5/6 more than the test chambers. I guess it was the atmosphere and how the puzzles looked "natural".
Although the final boss battle was pretty easy, the way to defeat it was amazing. :D
The "lemon" rant was my favorite dialogue in the game.

Eric

Fight On!,
I'll also agree that the puzzles were a bit too easy. I think a lot of it has to do with how they limit where you can place portals. By doing that, it really made it obvious where exactly you needed to go. I think the only thing I got stuck on was trying to break the last monitor, and that is just for an achievement and could have easily been ignored.

Still need to try to co-op and see how that mixes things up.

I did laugh when I saw that even Portal has a Call of Duty style ending.

subcons

I read that they play tested the hell out of these puzzles and that if it wasn't evident to someone play testing it how to figure the puzzle out, they just threw the idea out the window. I'm sure they could have made this game much harder, but it's probably pretty tough finding a happy medium where it's challenging without frustrating the player.

They didn't even really implement the tubes that suck stuff up like you see in the preview videos. I assume those are exclusive to co-op? Closest thing you see are the tubes that spit out bombs late in the game.

If anyone has this on 360 and wants to do co-op, hit me up (GT=subcons). My friend from FL ended up buying MK9 instead and I'm tired of waiting for him to get this.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
I read that they play tested the hell out of these puzzles and that if it wasn't evident to someone play testing it how to figure the puzzle out, they just threw the idea out the window. I'm sure they could have made this game much harder, but it's probably pretty tough finding a happy medium where it's challenging without frustrating the player.

They didn't even really implement the tubes that suck stuff up like you see in the preview videos. I assume those are exclusive to co-op? Closest thing you see are the tubes that spit out bombs late in the game.

I hope the stuff mentioned above are released through DLC.

Eric

Fight On!,
I just have one question: are the loading times as atrocious on the PS3 or PC versions as they are on the 360 because holy crap are they bad. Is a loading pause really necessary after each and every single chamber during the elevator ride or did Valve just want to spite Microsoft due to a disagreement over the update and DLC policy?

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
I just have one question: are the loading times as atrocious on the PS3 or PC versions as they are on the 360 because holy crap are they bad. Is a loading pause really necessary after each and every single chamber during the elevator ride or did Valve just want to spite Microsoft due to a disagreement over the update and DLC policy?

They're pretty shit on PS3 too. Overall they did a good job on the port though. Really loving it so far.

subcons

The load times in this do seem odd. Especially when you're riding an elevator to the next area, I would rather just keep riding the elevator while it loads and be insulted by GLaDOS the whole way. It would feel more seamless.

The actual load times aren't that bad IMO though. It's never more than 5 seconds or so. I played through it installed to the HDD, so maybe that made a difference?

Setsuna1982

World Her,
The load times in this do seem odd. Especially when you're riding an elevator to the next area, I would rather just keep riding the elevator while it loads and be insulted by GLaDOS the whole way. It would feel more seamless.

The actual load times aren't that bad IMO though. It's never more than 5 seconds or so. I played through it installed to the HDD, so maybe that made a difference?

I have the PC version installed in a SSD. They're not "that long" but they're annoying and cuts the flow.

Maybe the loading screen have a timer or something, because an SSD should load WAY faster

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I didn't think the loading time is that bad, but it is pretty frequent. It definitely would have been nice to have the next area load while you're in the elevator listening to one of the AIs.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I read over on SRK that this game is going to be on sale at K-mart for 35 bucks on Sunday. I think I'm going to grab it tomorrow.