Possible to remove paint from Arcade Stick ?

dougal

n00b
I bought a Neo Geo AES Arcade stick to use on my MVS when it arrives.

Its been restored internally and works perfectly.

But the previous owner sprayed it red because it was scratched.

It doesn't look bad so to say but I was wondering if there is some way to remove the paint without damaging the original black/text underneath.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
You can forget about saving the text. As for removing the paint, a good solvent should do the job.

dougal

n00b
Yeah maybe some WD40 or something I guess. Shame about the text.

Unless I try and make do best with the RED. Maybe put some SNK / Neo Geo / Neo Geo logo stickers on it.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
You might want to look into repainting it and apply new vinyls. I would get some scotch bright to help remove the red and help scuff it up to help the new paint adhere to the plastic. I think the plasti dip that the car people are using would be a interesting to use.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'd definitely check out how what is under the paint. If you're very lucky, the original text will resist the removal of the paint with a solvent (maybe alcohol) - that is if the paint can be gotten loose without physical force. You still have the option to repaint the thing afterwards.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Instead if using alcohol or solvents. Try using some brake fluid. I know the guys who make plastic car models use it to remove paint.

Nerdygrrl

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Nail polish remover, maybe citrus strip. Then hit it with some novus and try and buff out the scratches.

dougal

n00b
Cool. Lots of suggestions to try out :)

Besides the one screw at the bottom is there any others or clips or something in order to open it and remove the top part ?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Besides the one screw at the bottom is there any others or clips or something in order to open it and remove the top part ?
there are 4 more screws under the rubber feet. Be careful when you remove those (try with a flat tip) and you schould be able to glue them back on afterwards.

dougal

n00b
there are 4 more screws under the rubber feet. Be careful when you remove those (try with a flat tip) and you schould be able to glue them back on afterwards.

Cheers ... I opened it up, looks so old school inside :D

Anyway, tried Braso and WD40 and the trusty toothbrush but i only succeeded in very lightly scratching the paint .. :/

Next step i guess i may try some hydraulic power steering fluid a i have left over. It should be the same as brake fluid no ?

OR I may just embrace the red and stick some NEO GEO / SNK / MVS stickers on it.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
brake fluid and hydraulic fluid are totally different. I work at a hydraulic repair shop when im not fighting crime at night. Scotch bright (essentially a SOS pad) is what I would use. the only other thing I can think of would be a stripper like "naval jelly". Dont use the naval jelly as its for removing paint from metal! Any store that mixes up paint should be able to help point you to what you need. as for repainting I have heard good things about the VHT vinyl die and seen some SNES that were dyed a different color.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Just buy a nice quality paint and make it black again yourself. That way you won't have to worry about scratches or anything.