Post your High School stereotype

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Ha ha ha, ouch.

As for me, I was a total outsider. I was friends with people in all kinds of cliques, but didn't belong to any myself. I just did my own thing. I actually had a damn good time in high school, and there's still a couple dudes I'm good friends with. I skipped the 10 year reunion, though. If I'm not in contact with someone, chances are I don't want to be, so what's the point? I had no desire to catch up with anyone, either.

I was like this in high school, too. I mostly stuck with the art crowd, but had friends in different cliques. I could be classified as a bit nerdy too, though I was too lazy/unmotivated to go for honors society stuff. Never went to prom or my HS reunion either because they didn't appeal to me.

None of my friends have really stuck with me from school, either. Most of the closest friends I have now I befriended in 2000 or so.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
From the lofty perch I now occupy, I look back at high school and really regret not being more involved in the school community and more easily identifiably associated with one or more specific groups (like theatre geeks - they seem to have tons of fun).

I was part of a loosely bound groups of friends, maybe a few dozen, that all hung out and partied together, but have always preferred one or two closer friendships at a time.

The first two years of high school I had long hair and might have been identified as a hippy, while the last two or three I had a shaved head and wore the standard steel toes and bomber jacket costume, but being confused for a skinhead got old quickly.

Anyway, I really feel sorry for people who look back at high school or college or whenever as some sort of golden period. That's just setting yourself up for unhappiness. Life should always be progressing and getting better.

Last edited:

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I was in band and the drama club, and a shy video game nerd. I dressed retardedly and wore a parted-hairstyle that makes me wince to this day.

But somehow I had fun through it all and was reasonably well liked. Always liked though... never loved. :D My only claim to popularity was being the school moviemaker.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
I was a very studious kid in high school, which placed me into the nerd category. But I got involved as much as I could. Math team (of course), newspaper, marching band/drumline, weightlifting club, that sort of thing.

And then when I was captain of the math team for my second year (senior year), the school (2200 students) voted me the homecoming king. No shittin'.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
I was a hardworker and I studied cuz I wanted to learn (not into school activities though). Yet I had a lot of radical tendencies and I really fought conventional ideas alot. I was quite optimistic back then (I really wish I was like that now).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QEWHZGVjYko/Snw-jFq8peI/AAAAAAAAA_4/3QeCAsbUg6Y/s400/breakfast+club.jpg[/img] said:
From the lofty perch I now occupy, I look back at high school and really regret not being more involved in the school community and more easily identifiably associated with one or more specific groups (like theatre geeks - they seem to have tons of fun).

I was part of a loosely bound groups of friends, maybe a few dozen, that all hung out and partied together, but have always preferred one or two closer friendships at a time.

The first two years of high school I had long hair and might have been identified as a hippy, while the last two or three I had a shaved head and wore the standard steel toes and bomber jacket costume, but being confused for a skinhead got old quickly.

Anyway, I really feel sorry for people who look back at high school or college or whenever as some sort of golden period. That's just setting yourself up for unhappiness. Life should always be progressing and getting better.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Started off the total Dork/Japanimation Weirdo (to the masses) who later got into the whole Hong Kong "Gun" movies and stuff long before it would become cool by Hollywood standards and thus was "The Outsider". Left to hangout with other *misunderstoods* and 4.0GPA nerds (which strangely enough, I was too brash/intense to be accepted by those nerds). No girlfriends, though I did get some cajones and asked this chick out to my JROTC Military Ball and she went with me. That was like 9th and 10th grade.

11th grade year I begun emulating Chow Yun Fat (laugh if you want to BUT I LOOKED GOOD), wearing suits and shit to school and no one (cause they didn't pay attention) outside my regular group of homies knew who the fuck Mar Gor was or had any idea of Japanese Yakuza movies. Everyone tried to break my spirit but it didn't work. I kept on doing MY thing and telling people to fuck off. Got my ass handed to me a few times, then had the audacity to show up the very next day in defiance to that fact, and people were like: "He's weird but kinda cool. He does his own shit and doesn't give a fuck." ---about this time I guess I became noticed by the chicks, but my stoopid ass wasn't interested in any chick unless she were Asian, so I turned down a lot of opportunities (and I learned later on I could had me some pussy a few times over ---go figure right?) This would be the year that I basically began my transformation into a social chameleon though I didn't see it as that. I began just infiltrating differing cliques all over not only the school but across the school district. Made myself known to the city at large, and bullshitted my way through some shit. At year's end I was working with a Film Workshop in San Antonio and meeting people like John Singleton and John Sayles and had some holier than thou attitude over the theater ppl in my school.

Year's end I got my ass handed to me as I walked out my Creative Writing class. Something snapped in me. I took the beating because I'd been fighting the system for three years and was trying to prove (to myself as well as to the school system) I could make the grade. There was this thing about "Zero Tolerance" so if I defended myself I'd go to alternative school, so I took that beating. Something wasn't right with me though. Two weeks later (outside of school) getback was in order. It was at this time I learned what I was capable of (violence wise).

12th grade year = Birth of the Stray Dog Grunt/Loner and all around Indie/Underground Movie hopeful. I'm wrapped up in "movies" and riding on that same high of Robert Rodriguez DIY attitude (like so many). At this point I'm no longer an outcast. I can say and do what I want. But get this... I'M TOO REAL, as some chick put it, and even the so called bad asses leave me alone mostly, walking through the school in a total IDGAF manner, as my inner 50s greaser would emerge in contrast to the whole Yakuza wannabe shit. I still hung out with those who had been cool with me all along, but told everyone else to fuck off... hung out only with college types and got into all kinds of shit, while overreacting and getting into fights left and right anytime someone said boo to me. This would lead to my short time in money collections later (not high school though) and being a bouncer for exotic clubs and shit.

So I guess overall you could say I was

the geek with an attitude problem but social chameleon and latent sexual dynamo while in High School

These days I don't think about it much. The people I wanted to stay friends with I'm still friends with, and while I do MISS certain times from that period, I wouldn't go back if my life depended on it. Today is a much better place, though equally frustrating (for me) but for just the reverse of the reasons I was frustrated back then 15 1/2 years ago. Back then I had no personality to FORMING personality. Now I've got the personality of 8 people and the confidence of three... but the world at large (I'm talking amongst ---supposedly different/unique types) puts up fronts but don't really LIVE what it is they are portraying themselves to be 80% of the time, whereas I say what I mean and do what I say and feel life should be LIVED and not tolerated. I'm the life of the party and all that now and people love being around me, but I'm learning about their two sided ways too. Seems I'm expendable.

What is considered "intense or weird about me" NOW, (just like back then) will be common place in a decade. By then it'll be the same old shit. Born too late and born too soon as usual... but I'll still make it do what it's gonna do, even if I HAVE TO FORCE IT from time to time.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I loved Pearl Jam, Alice and Chains, and Soundgarden when they all got started, so I basically dressed grunge, although I wore dress pants and un-tucked dress shirts all the time, so I joined a band with an old friend in grade 8 and we played shows at clubs and bars (we only ever had a problem being underage once) after school and did festivals on weekends. I was one of the kids with high grades, but at 6ft. tall in those days, people didn't try to fuck around with me, besides, the seniors liked me 'cause I could hold my own on the football field, although I preferred being on the soccer and basketball teams. All the stoners and loners liked the music my band played and would come to our all ages shows on the weekends, and I always liked talking to and hanging out with just about everyone at school as well as cracking jokes with the teachers in class. Our school only had about 900 students, and that made it really easy to get to know everyone. In my senior year, I joked with some people about making some changes if I was student council prez, and somehow, they convinced me to run and I won, so the first thing I did was get an art program for grades 10 and 11 to make it an easier transition for those that wanted to pursue art post-secondary. One of my friends' brother took advantage of the program and went on to become an animator, and I won a Quiet Leadership award and was put on the plaque at grad. The best time for me though was in senior year when we had music class and the teacher let us bring in our gear and play 'live' in class. After a few times (and because the music could be heard throughout the school) we got permission from the principal to put on a concert and we got other kids to put together songs that we played for the school; they cancelled classes for the day just like they would for a football game, and we got to play for everyone! The only other thing that was just as cool was doing an entire semester's worth of grade 11 English assignments (I had to skim through all the novels too), poetry and short story writings, and tests in one night so as not to get a 0 for the term since I goofed off the whole time in class and never did homework. I managed to get it in about 10 minutes after the bell at the end of the next day (I worked on what I hadn't finished all throughout my other classes) just before the teacher went to her mail box and found out a week later when we got our marks in that I had gotten 99% for the term; that teacher really didn't like me since I was always such a smartass in class, lol.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I was like this in high school, too. I mostly stuck with the art crowd, but had friends in different cliques. I could be classified as a bit nerdy too, though I was too lazy/unmotivated to go for honors society stuff. Never went to prom or my HS reunion either because they didn't appeal to me.

None of my friends have really stuck with me from school, either. Most of the closest friends I have now I befriended in 2000 or so.

High five, girlfriend.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I was always in the crowd right outside the main cool crowd in high school. I had friends in the group and hooked up with girls in the group, but my group of friends always did our own thing. I had friends in all groups. Jocks, scrubs, hippies and even the gang folks. Back then when it came to games we mostly played sports games like Super Tecmo Bowl on the snes or Gameday and Shootout on the ps1. Never liked Madden or Live. I was always looked down on by teachers because our school was all about sports and they knew I was good enough to play sports but never had the grades because I didn't care. I was the kid who got D's in classes I didn't care about, but got A's in classes I enjoyed, like Math and some History classes. Yet I got C's in P.E. because there was no way in hell they were getting me to study that Health book, lol. I had a lot of fun in H.S., but had absolutely no fun in college. Go to class, go to work, go home and study, go to my girl's house, and do it all again. College was where I missed out. H.S. was cool, although a couple different choices in girls and trying harder in class and it may have been a lot better.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
There weren't really any cliques at my high school. Unless you count gangs.

As for me, I don't really know that I fit any particular stereotype. I put up a 3.9 (unweighted) GPA and a 33/36 on my ACT, and I was captain of the football and track teams. I graduated near the top of my class and took accelerated/honors classes for all four years. But I also ditched substantial amounts of school and smoked a lot of pot. School came pretty easily to me and as a result I rarely took it seriously. I would apply myself during classes, but if I didn't finish my homework at school there was exactly a zero percent chance I was doing it. I also got in trouble a lot for backtalking, questioning teachers/authority figures, and generally getting into mischief. If I respected the teacher I was generally fine, but if the teacher was an asshole or idiot (quite common in my shitty public school district) I was likely to get myself in trouble.

As for my hobbies, they were mostly the same as they are now. Collecting and playing retro and modern video games/systems, computers, anime, classic rock, certain types of metal, movies, and sports. I was and always have been a huge sports fan, following everything from the big four major sports leagues to the Arena Football League, National Lacrosse League, and minor league baseball.

I generally got along fine with everybody. I never got into a fight at school or with anyone from school (though I did get in a few other fights during my high school years). I had a lot of good friends. I was known for being witty and sarcastic. I was also extremely opinionated and a little on the arrogant side, so that would sometimes rub people the wrong way. But I was never really obnoxious and most people knew I was harmless.

In spite of my nonchalant attitude towards schoolwork, I actually took my athletics very seriously. I never missed a game or practice, even on days where I ditched or was legitimately sick. In football I was an undersized offensive lineman, starting at right tackle and left defensive end (also playing special teams) my freshman year at about 5'8, 135 pounds. I was about 5'11, 155 when I graduated. Despite my size I played very well, mostly due to the fact that my older brother was the lineman coach. He was All-State (he graduated the year before I got there) and he pushed me very hard. For track I ran the 400m, threw the shot put, and threw the discus. I took sixth in the city in the discus my senior year, with my best throw at about 120 feet.

My closest friends had mostly the same interests as I did, though I was the only one of us who played organized sports. Chasing girls, smoking, drinking, playing video games, hacky sack, concerts, whatever. One thing that we were notable for around school was parking lot badminton. During lunch and sometimes after school, my friends and I would set up a badminton net in the parking lot. We would park a few spaces away from each other and slam the net in between our doors, then play by our own "street rules". Basically, you could hit the birdie as many times as you want as long as it didn't rest on the ground. We never defined any boundaries so if the birdie hit anywhere on your side of the net, it was the other team's point. If it did hit the ground, you could still save it as long as you got it off the first bounce. Cars, the net, players, and other people/shit in the parking lot were live, so the games were often filled with shenanigans.

Last edited:

twilight

Armored Scrum Object
British/Irish schools are probably less cliquey than American schools. We wear uniforms, so everyone is pretty much wearing the same clothes.

Yeah you have shy kids, sporty kids, slackers, people who work hard, "cool" kids (more like who think they are cool!) ..All the kids who thought they were cool were followers, coolness is walking to your own beat. The kids who actually would never class themselves as being cool were the real cool ones.

I'm not even sure we have jocks, you have kids who are more sporty, but sports in our schools are not taken as seriously as they are in America. No one looks up to the rugby players for example. It's not a big deal being the captain of the team, no one really gives a crap.

It reallly wouldnt give you any kind of status.

Anyway, I was quiet in school. I was in a really bad year at school, there were so many bullies and assholes. Quite a few ended up being thrown out of the school. I got into a handful of fights, not because I wanted too, but because the only way to stop bullies is to stand up to them.

I keep in touch with a handful of people, havent seen the rest in ten years.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I'm still kind of proud of the fact that no one tried to bully me in high school. A few kids took a shot at it in junior high, but they weren't successful. Same thing in elementary, actually, though it happened way less back then.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Me and my buddies were the D&D, Magic: The Gathering, videogame dorks.

We would always hang out in one of the science classrooms during break, and at lunch we hung in one of the history classrooms.

Funny thing was, our group attracted all kinds of other people, later on we had a goth chick, some wrestling jocks, and some weed peddlers.

After high school, to me and my best friend's surprise... many of the people who we thought were the popular ones considered our little exclusive club to be the popular group.

I wish we would have known this (maybe I wouldn't have been such a loser then and asked a few chicks out or something)... but we were clueless. We were in our own little world.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I didn't go to high school. I stopped attending school halfway through the 8th grade. I faked my way through 'homeschooling' until I passed the ged at at a local college 2 weeks after my 16th bday (sans studying). I have not been back to any formal schooling (except for some art) since.

Strangely, I am one of the most educated seeming people anyone is likely to meet- having absorbed the equivalent of a genuine classical education (the old world's gold standard of civility) by the time I was in my 20s.

I am what you could call a genuine article autodidact.

I put myself forward as this site's most freaky high school (non)story. :)