Post your keyboard controllers, synths, drum machines, etc!

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
i like it. sounds like it'd fit the soundtrack to a movie(it'd be played while someone is taking a late night drive or possibly a journey somewhere).

Thanks! You're actually super close to the feel I was going for: the end credits to a 16 bit game. I'm going to add a second (different) halftime section and then build to a banger ending. If I can pull it off that is.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Another WIP Jupiter 8v test. I uploaded it but I can't get it to play for some reason and now my previous upload won't play either. Other people's songs play fine though.

If you can hear it, keep in mind that it's a work in progress but I need advice on making the slide less cheesy.

https://soundcloud.com/border_down/july-17

I've listened to your "less cheese" version, the slides are okay, maybe you could bring in a bit more variation with off-beat placement of the notes and only use slide on every second instance. Also a bit of modulation of the lead sound could help to spice it up.

I like the 80s-style snare/clap/rimshot, btw.

Ok Lightmanraygun.. I checked off "follow" on your soundcloud. Listened to the 1st so far & its good. Going to blast it in my car after work.

Will checkout Border_down also :spock:

Thank you, man. Listen to it at full volume! :)

After a two month hiatus, I've started making music again. Guess I'll upload some new stuff and a few unreleased tracks this week, let's see.

I got a nice Amazon coupon for my birthday and ordered some stuff yesterday, among them a used Alesis Nanoverb 2 multi effects machine, will be here in a few days I guess.

Dave Smith has released a new mono synth, the PRO 2:

One Voice To Rule Them All

It has tons of modulation options, four oscillators with optional paraphonic mode and one of the coolest sequencers I've seen on a machine like that. This thing has potential. Official price is around $1900, though. Lots of money but still, from what I've read and heard about it, this thing is BIIIIIGGGG... and made in USA, eh. :)

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
you guys were talking before about the Korg ESX/EMX units... here's a "dj" that uses them for live performances instead of cd's\records\laptops....

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
ahh Xosar.
sounds cool and easy on the eyes as well, haha ; )

her man Legowelt, who aside from having mountains of gear, makes some pretty awesome tracks as well.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My new Alesis Nanoverb 2 arrived today and I made a new track with it. Most of the reverb you hear comes from the Nano, there also is a DigiTech TSR-12 multi fx doing a bit of flanging.

Hardware only. Sequencer: C-Lab Notator 3.21 on Atari ST-E (4MB).

Update:

...and another one:

Mother house and father techno, baby...

Last one for today:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Wow, cool songs Takumaji, very trippy video editing too!

I uploaded a more recent song to sound cloud. Multitracked as many electronic instruments as I could without sounding too crowded. The Kawai XD-5, Kawai K1, Korg Volca Keys, Korg Volca Beats, and Yamaha FB-01.

https://soundcloud.com/alec-gx/return-planet

Because its my sound cloud it goes directly into a cheesey rock demo with a Volca Keys lead and SR-16 beat, so you've all been warned. :loco:

autobahn3000

Banned
Most of my stuff is long gone, I had a few different configurations when I was still rockin' it down in Atlanta.

Teh original:
kdk_0648.jpg

At its peak:
61325_126080054110304_7912204_n.jpg

Novation X-Station 25, Korg KP3, Korg EMX-1 (killer), Shure SM57 (for vocoding), MBox 2 w/PT 8 LE, Macbook Pro, Logic Pro 9, Reason 4 & Record, Event ASP8 monitors (I'm sure my neighbors loved those, lulz). Not pictured: Juno 106, several guitars.

I eventually got tired of it all and sold most of it off to travel, which I did for a couple years. I'm getting back into music again, though just as a hobby this time around. All I have left is the Macbook, Mbox, X-station and an Akai APC40, I think the Juno is still floating around at my parents' house. Of the old stuff, all I really miss is the Electribe and the monitors.

I've also previously owned a Roland Fantom X6, Yamaha DX-7 II, Casio CZ-1000 and a Virus rack synth.

Yuengling ooh yay!!!!!

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I don't have an actual Electribe, but I do have iElectribe for the iPad. Anyway, I exported some loops I put together & incorporated them into my latest track(of course, ran them through some filtration).

Here it is if anyone wants to give it a listen:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
been cleaning my shit up as I have to move soon :( disconnecting all my stuff presented a good chance to get a pic without garbage and wires all over the place :)
10560479_10152651491713044_9020470160283449390_o.jpg

save for my interface and monitors not pictured, These are all the toys I make sounds with.

This is a lil track I made not long ago that uses most of it at least, I don't think I had the volca beats or keys yet but the FB-01, volca bass and kaoss pad get some heavy use on top of the sampled drums on the MPC. It's a lil sloppy but it's all live arranged and mixed, I thought DJ cutting the volca with the kaoss pad was fun.

https://soundcloud.com/jeeshyness/very-attacking2

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
cool stuff complexz. i've thought about dabblin' with some hip hop style beats(possibly grime/garage). my friends keep telling me to do some drum n' bass though.... been sticking primarily with techno / deep stuff so far.

here's a track I finished the other night. decided to take some snippets from the movie 'plan 9 from outer space'. was also a bit inspired by the sounds of Vercetti Technicolor.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I'm normally a Drum'n'Bass, Hip Hop and Reggae guy but lately I went back to the 90s and revisited Detroit Techno. Sadly despite me liking Techno especially Detroit Techno I never listened to it much and never got a proper feel for it and my first foray into techno is pretty crappy but here it is. It's called "Ghost in the 809". All negative criticism is more than welcome cuz I'd love to make a proper Detroit track some day.

https://soundcloud.com/smx-001/ghost-in-the-809

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I think the reason none of our tracks are gold records yet is one reason ...

CowbellfeverBIG.jpg

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Dammit, I knew there was something I did wrong! Thanks for the tip LOL. Honestly I could add actually some more cowbell. I used a sampled 808 drum kit to make that track so I definitely could have thrown in some of that 808 cowbell. I'm gonna rework that track anyway cuz I really really wanna get this techno thing down.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
how you like dem cowbells!

https://soundcloud.com/jeeshyness/jee-shyness-volca-hiphop-freestyle

claves, whatever...

EDIT: plan 9 sounds cool man I like the use of the sample. I definitely mainly stick to a hip hop kinda tempo and hiphop style drums even when I don't necessarily intend on making a hiphop track :) I just naturally gravitate like that. I imagine you are simillar with techno, probably don't mean to stick with that vibe, it's just what comes out.

okay.... one last self pimp... I too was inspired by a cinema classic and built a beat around it's samples :)
https://soundcloud.com/jeeshyness/what-the-hell-is-a-dim-mak

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Made a new track an hour ago:

Starting to get a grip of that dreaded Notator...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks, guys.

I'm still struggling with getting the most out of Notator. It's an ancient sequencer software that runs on Atari ST and was first released in 1986. The version I'm using (3.21) is the last one that came out in 1993 and I even bought another Atari ST (ST-E with 4MB RAM) for it. My original ST-F has only 1MB RAM and certain functions don't work properly on it. Thank god all that old computer and software stuff is dirt cheap now, got an offer for the ST-E with Notator 3.21, monitor, MIDI expansion dongle and all manuals, etc., for 70 Euros.

So - why that old-ass Notator on Atari ST instead of a proper DAW software, I hear you ask? Because old technology and software still got it. Just think about it, most of the stuff in the late 80s and early 90s that I/we still hold in high regard was made on either Atari Cubase or Notator, or with hardware sequencers. It's a pure MIDI sequencer, very reliable, has spot-on timing and a lot of functions for making tracks in a "semi-live" way which is right my cup of tea. Before Notator I used a Roland MC-50 MKII hardware sequencer for almost 20 years and it wasn't easy for me to make the transition. There still are some problems I have to fix with Notator and my setup but overall, its very flexible track-method of composing and arranging make it my #1 choice for loop-oriented technoid music with hardware boxes. I don't need audio sequencing like in modern DAWs and also don't have a computer fast enough to control a relatively big setup like mine. It's also friggin' expensive to get into all that current DAW + plugin stuff if you don't wanna go the warez route (like me). The buttons on my good old MC-50 are quite worn-out now, some of them have to be pressed like mad to get a reaction from them which sort of breaks my flow (and my fingers). I talked to a service tech about replacing them and it would cost me about 250 Euros. One day I'll bite the bullet and get it repaired because it still is great for live gigs (and because I don't want to use a computer on stage) but for now, Notator is my sequencer of choice.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Another track (had a day off today that I've spend in my little studio):

Post-soul, eh.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Thanks, guys.

I'm still struggling with getting the most out of Notator. It's an ancient sequencer software that runs on Atari ST and was first released in 1986. The version I'm using (3.21) is the last one that came out in 1993 and I even bought another Atari ST (ST-E with 4MB RAM) for it. My original ST-F has only 1MB RAM and certain functions don't work properly on it. Thank god all that old computer and software stuff is dirt cheap now, got an offer for the ST-E with Notator 3.21, monitor, MIDI expansion dongle and all manuals, etc., for 70 Euros.

So - why that old-ass Notator on Atari ST instead of a proper DAW software, I hear you ask? Because old technology and software still got it. Just think about it, most of the stuff in the late 80s and early 90s that I/we still hold in high regard was made on either Atari Cubase or Notator, or with hardware sequencers. It's a pure MIDI sequencer, very reliable, has spot-on timing and a lot of functions for making tracks in a "semi-live" way which is right my cup of tea. Before Notator I used a Roland MC-50 MKII hardware sequencer for almost 20 years and it wasn't easy for me to make the transition. There still are some problems I have to fix with Notator and my setup but overall, its very flexible track-method of composing and arranging make it my #1 choice for loop-oriented technoid music with hardware boxes. I don't need audio sequencing like in modern DAWs and also don't have a computer fast enough to control a relatively big setup like mine. It's also friggin' expensive to get into all that current DAW + plugin stuff if you don't wanna go the warez route (like me). The buttons on my good old MC-50 are quite worn-out now, some of them have to be pressed like mad to get a reaction from them which sort of breaks my flow (and my fingers). I talked to a service tech about replacing them and it would cost me about 250 Euros. One day I'll bite the bullet and get it repaired because it still is great for live gigs (and because I don't want to use a computer on stage) but for now, Notator is my sequencer of choice.

Hey I never questioned your setup, everyone has their own workflow. I actually really like your oldschool setup and wished I had something that cool. Whatever works and maximises your creative juices and workflow is always cool with me.