Post your keyboard controllers, synths, drum machines, etc!

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Those are both awesome tracks Tak.

One of my friends has a DR660 & he gave me a bunch of .wav samples from it. Tinkering around with them on my PC atm..... :snack:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks.

I love the DR-660, it's one of the most versatile drum machines I know. There's a guy on YT who makes complete tracks with only a DR, really awesome, check it out:

I really want one. Been shopping for one for a while.

EDIT:

Korg has a number of new products coming out including a volca sampler and two new electribes! I'm not posting links because I'm on my phone but its my understanding that samples can only be loaded to the volca via iOS, which means I'm going to have to pass. A shame really. Going to look into the electribes and hope they're more accessible.

iOS-only Volca Sampler? Sounds stupid to me, they shouldn't limit the way to access this thing to one OS only. Ah well, if the new Akai MPX16 turns out as expected, the Volca Sampler may become obsolete before it's even out. Haven't tried an MPX yet but the specs sound promising.

I'm also interested in the new Tribes, any more details on them?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
whoa, thanks for the heads up alec, it actually looks pretty damn fun to me.... if the iOS thing is bullshit I'll buy one I think.... I certainly don't need a sequencer/sampler but it does look fun enough that if it goes for the same low price as the other volcas I am probably down with buying it just to have one more element in my volca jams :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSTxg43_wBM

happy to finally contribute something new, It was so cheap I will likely still get a synth in the near future but I am pretty happy to finally have a legit turntable.
vestax.jpg

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'm also interested in the new Tribes, any more details on them?

Korg's still making a big deal about their 'Monotribe'(+ here's a link for it):

And here's the new 'Electribe':

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
new electribe does look cool, as a MPC fanboy I like the use of pads and as much as I love the 4x4 pad layout to death, the 2x8 does seem a little more comfortable to play like a instrument with both hands. Reminds me of roger linn's tempest... which I would LOVE to play with but I will likely never have 2000 bucks to spare just for drums :)

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Oh and those DR-660 .wav samples.... I ended up throwing something together with them. Stayed up until 6am and listening to it now, makes me wonder 'what the hell did i do...'

had to use the 660's cowbell ofcourse ^_^

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I already have a Monotribe, cool little box, great for small live setups, the drums are as oldschool and blibbity-blob as it gets. It can pump out some really mean acidy basses.

Just checked the Korg homepage, apparently the Volca Sample comes with 100 preset samples (one shots and loops) that can only be changed/overwritten with a special iOS app. The parameter locking (Motion recording of most pots) is where it's at, it lets you record loop point changes and various other parameters on the fly which leads to interesting new sequences... yeah, sounds good, eh, I'm a sucker for drillbeat-y stuff.

And the new Electribe... well, seems to be an outboard controller similar to Maschine that probably can be loaded with some stuff via Ableton and then used standalone (I'm guessing here). Color me unimpressed.

Hey, nice oldschool tune, Cylotron. I need this friggin' 660.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Hah! I got some new gear fellas. Say hello to my new Korg Volca Beats and Bass. My workstation is now complete, good times shall be had.

WorkstationComplete_zps3df55c4a.jpg

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
MAAAAAAAN these volcas are the shit! I'm having so much fun! The only roadblock I ran into was getting the Beats to sync with my DAW but I got my Bass to work. Once I figure this all out it's gonna be OVER.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
fuck yes! the volca army here is strong! long live poverty analogue!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Congrats, Spin. Either use a MIDI interface to sync the Volcas or if you only have one MIDI line you can also connect one of them via MIDI and then connect the other one via SYNC.

I rarely use the builtin sequencer of the Volcas when they're in my setup but trigger the sounds from my masterkeyboard via sequencer. This way you can give them machines a nice swing which sadly isn't possible directly on the frontpanel. That is, you can create some sort of swing feel with the Stutter function but it's not perfect.

Nice little machines either way.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
speaking of midi controllers, what's a decent one that works well with windows 7?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
does anyone own a monotribe? is it worth owning?

Yeah, I have one. Great little box, very oldschool drums, cool bass synth part, easy to use, great for lo-fi electronix stuff like mine. Recommended.

I've made a little acid jam with the Monotribe a while ago, check it out here:

All the lysergic bass stuff and most of the drums (except for the kick drum) come from the Tribe with a little help from my 626 (claps, claves, etc.) and 606 (hihats, snare, etc.).

Btw., here's a new track I made today:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
cool stuff Tak. i try to do at least one track a week myself... but with work & occasionally wanting to be lazy on my days off, it doesn't always happen.

since the monotribe(and apparently even the new electribe) can run just on batteries, it'd be cool to make some sort of jacket with built-in speakers(or speakers attached to your shoulders) & just play with the monotribe while you're walking around

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Heh, yeah, portable gear ftw! :)

I love sitting in the garden with my Monotribe and 606 running on batteries and doing a little jam.

So... here's my Sunday track, quite relaxed and loungy this time:

...and this is the Monday track, which is a bit more in-yer-face (Bunker-style, you know):

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
well I'm sad. I was tinkering around with my DDJ-SX in my bedroom & only had the speakers turned up half way.... then had a knock at my door(neighbor asking to turn it down)

what's a good way to sound proof this place?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It's almost impossible to make a room in a house sound proof without spending an arm and a leg. There are these foamy tiles that are about two or three inches thick for walls, ceiling and floor which tone down the bass and heights a little but if you really want to make it sound proof, you have to do way more than that.

Just use a good pair of headphones, even a high-end version is cheaper than padding up your studio.

Oh, and Nick from Sonicstate has uploaded a presentation video of the new Korg Electribe, watch it here:

Not a very good presentation I may add, but hey. Apparently, the unit CAN be used standalone (without computer) so that's a good thing. They also added the Korg Quad Pad effects and various other things. The small sound demo on the end sounds good (albeit a bit too new-style electro-esque for my taste), guess I have to give it a try when it's out.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
It's almost impossible to make a room in a house sound proof without spending an arm and a leg. There are these foamy tiles that are about two or three inches thick for walls, ceiling and floor which tone down the bass and heights a little but if you really want to make it sound proof, you have to do way more than that.

Just use a good pair of headphones, even a high-end version is cheaper than padding up your studio.

Oh, and Nick from Sonicstate has uploaded a presentation video of the new Korg Electribe, watch it here:

Not a very good presentation I may add, but hey. Apparently, the unit CAN be used standalone (without computer) so that's a good thing. They also added the Korg Quad Pad effects and various other things. The small sound demo on the end sounds good (albeit a bit too new-style electro-esque for my taste), guess I have to give it a try when it's out.

Dammit Korg! Stop making stuff that I want. I can't afford to keep buying this stuff, I gotta feed my family dammit!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I want the new Electribe Sampler. I was looking into the Volca Sample at first but it's too limited so I'm going for its bigger brother now. Standard retail price is €475 so I will have to wait for the price to come down a bit, I think I'm going to strike when I get an offer for a new/used one for about 300 or summat.

Damn, Korg pumps out some really interesting machines lately. Most manufacturers announce their stuff at NAMM or MusikMesse and then release it around Christmas but Korg announced all those new boxes about a month ago and now they're already available, that's quite amazing. They really did their homework concerning their productions processes.

Oh, and I had the chance to try out the new Moog Sub 37. What can I say... it's one of the coolest synths I had the pleasure to use since a long time. Awesome sound and modulation capabilities, high-q construction and parts, the whole thing screams quality in every aspect and its frontend layout is very logical. I prolly shouldn't have done this because now I want one but there's no chance in hell I'm ever going to be able to afford it... it's already on my list of machines-I-like-but-can't-afford together with the Prophet 12, Buchla Music Easel, etc.

Shit man, why is the cool stuff always so expensive?

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I finally got my Volca Beats to sync to my DAW a few days ago. In Ableton you have to open a blank drum rack template then midi map the signals so It can be controlled by Ableton's Push. I didn't have to do that with the Volca Bass, it'd already map itself so that's why I was stuck on the Beats.