Post your keyboard controllers, synths, drum machines, etc!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I can't get enough of those oldschool sounds Tak. Keep it coming.

I will, trust me! :D

On Sunday I've spend four hours rewiring the MIDI and audio setup of my little studio to make it more tidy and flexible. Didn't really work out as planned, now things are even more messy than before... :emb: This is where DAW-based studios have a clear advantage over the oldschool approach with tons of wires running back and forth that tangle up and form impenetrable knots no matter how careful you are.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Dang Tak... I wish I had more free time to work on tracks.

Took me forever to get the time to finish this most recent track:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I will, trust me! :D

On Sunday I've spend four hours rewiring the MIDI and audio setup of my little studio to make it more tidy and flexible. Didn't really work out as planned, now things are even more messy than before... :emb: This is where DAW-based studios have a clear advantage over the oldschool approach with tons of wires running back and forth that tangle up and form impenetrable knots no matter how careful you are.

lol yeah I definitely have a love/hate relationship with my jungle of wires. I especially hate all the shit I need to power, I might just start running the volcas on batteries just so I can have a few less powersupplies to deal with :)

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Hey Tak did you have any low volume issues with your volca beats? I was having that issue with my Bass and Beats but after fiddling with my wires going into my audio interface my Bass sounds perfect but my Beats sounds so low and is filled with noise/interference.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Cylotron,

I like that track a lot, good work. Nice percs and cool driving beat. The openhi is great, is that a sample or does it come from a synth?

complexz,

heh, I actually removed one of the PSUs I've bought for my Volcas and 'Tribes from my Volca Beats and now use battery-power again due to humming issues. The PSUs were quite cheap, now I know why... damn, and I bought four of them!

Spin,

it's a well-known fact that the Volca Beats part volumes are badly balanced, the kick, snare and claps are much louder than the others which makes it slightly tricky to implement in a setup without EQing. However, my Beats is not very noisy, do you run it on batteries or PSU? If it's the latter, maybe you have a similar problem like me. I've send a mail to Korg and they say that you will need a properly switched PSU for the Volcas and 'Tribes which will fix the problem. Trouble is that one of the original Korg PSUs for these devices costs more than the four no-name PSUs I've bought via Amazon... but hey, there's a reason for that I guess.

The standard way to solve the volume problem of the Beats is to turn down the volume of the kick, snare and claps on the Beats with the part volume knob and turn up the volume of its channel on your mixer.

...and if you think the Beats has a bad signal-to-noise ratio, just listen to the Keys, it's almost as noisy as the Monotron Delay and that's saying something! I have a good Denoiser in my audio chain (Behringer SNR-2000) so it's okay for me but people who mostly work with DAWs and are used to complete digital silence might have a problem here.

Oh, and I think my Monotribe is broken, the filter section does not seem to work properly anymore... damn, I guess getting this thing repaired for an acceptable price will be difficult since it only costs about 120 Euros.

I'm also thinking of selling or trading my Volca Keys. Any takers? :D

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I think this is the fix. I need a mono/ts wire or adapter. It would make sense because when I plug the wires in half way they sound right but not when plugged in all the way except for the Bass for some odd reason. Dammit Korg, but hey I learned something important about audio.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Tak, the openhi is a sample(passed through some filters). That and you actually like the song? I made it while in a foul mood & after uploading it thought "I don't think I did a good job" and was considering deleting it. I won't now :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Spin,

heh, okay, of course you need a mono audio cable (RTFM! :D). If you use a stereo cable, there's no proper contact between the jack and the first ring of the cable if you push it in all the way. Putting it in halfway is a temporary solution but not perfect, if you accidentally touch the cable while working on the machine, it will go silent (which of course always happens if you're recording...).

Cylotron,

I like quick out-of-the-blue music, usually it tells me more about the person/musician than elaborated high-end tracks that in the end sound just like other elaborated high-end tracks.

It can be quite difficult to judge your own productions. Back in the mid 90s when I joined Ray Gun Records and gave my label boss a tape with a selection of tracks for my first EP release, he ignored my personal recommendations and selected four different tracks which led to some arguments but in the end, he knew what he was doing and the EP became a minor hit among local DJs. That is because the artist may be better than the label boss at making new tracks but the boss usually is better at choosing the ones that DJs/the general public want for their sets. In retrospect, he did the right thing.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Hey I'm a total n00b when it comes to routing audio.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
Also it doesn't explain why my Volca Bass works with it plugged all the way in(it didn't at first). These Korgs are freakin weird.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
ultra weird as I have none of the above problems, always used stereo cables on them, wonder what the difference is. Maybe the mixer I use before they get to my interface is a factor.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hm.. maybe you guys are using adaptors for the mini jack cables or mono channels?

It's the other way around for me, Spin, my Volca Beats works with the cable plugged all the way in while my Keys does not... Same with the Monotrons.

I'll check out a few things and report back here.

By the way, I got a new (well, actually a used) EQ, it's an old Yamaha parametric version and I hope that it will help me to get rid of all that low-frequency rumble, too pronounced mids and high-freq hiss that I often have in my mix.

I made a new mix of my latest track 85N40.

This is the YT version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLStYPxN_Xo&feature=youtu.be

...and this is the new mix: http://www.mondfeuerwerk.de/files/Lightman-85N40.mp3

Thoughts?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I will give a listen tomorrow Tak(not home today). Don't want to play it through crappy phone speakers.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
sounds pretty cool tak, the EQ definitely seems to smooth out the edges nicely, But I quite like the original too!

I'm pretty weird with audio, I never have been much of a audiophile and I don't think I have the greatest ear for detail... on top of that I have a weird love for rougher sounding hiphop and electronic music... just adds to the kinda vibe I find cool.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks.

I also like my electronics gritty and mean but I've done quite a lot of DJing during the past few months and everytime I put on one of my tracks, it tears through the mix like a spear. My label boss used to say that many of my tracks sound like a cart full of empty cans rumbling down a hill and I guess he was right. :)

Still learning the ins and outs of that new EQ, it's a modified Manley with a Yamaha frontplate, don't know whether it originally came with that but I don't really care. Got it for almost nothing from a guy who works at a mastering studio, they're moving to digital consoles and are clearing out all sorts of equipment like EQs, mixing consoles, microphones and old tape machines. He also offered me a huge Mackie 64 channel mixer with meter bridge in good condition... I wish I had the money, he wants 1000 bucks for it which is awesome, the original price was 15,000, but it's still too much for me.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I listened to both the youtube and the new mp3 of that track, Tak. The 'mp3' did sound slightly cleaner... although the youtube one seemed a tad louder & the bass was a bit more pronounced.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks.

I lowered the mids in the mp3 version, the bassdrum used in the track has a click transient that also gets affected by the mid-cut, that's why the kick sounds more pronounced in the YT version.

Which one do you like better?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I mostly listen to music in my car & spent a lot of money on the sound system. The YT version makes my car shake more so I like that one. ^_^

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
ultra weird as I have none of the above problems, always used stereo cables on them, wonder what the difference is. Maybe the mixer I use before they get to my interface is a factor.

Must be nice.:p

Korg got some explaining to do. How the hell do I have the reverse problem that Tak does and you don't have either problem? I guess we got what we paid for.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Check your cables.
On my monitors I used to get weird static/fuzz. The XLR cables I was using were just barely long enough. I went & bought longer cables and everything is normal now.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
No Sunday track this week, we had a party on Sat and I was quite down... meanwhile, here's another Monday track: Up.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
the bulk of my move is finally done and I started to get my shit setup again finally :) now this is a more comfortable workspace!
setup.jpg

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I've rewired my studio again, guess I've reached the best setup now, everything works as planned. A few months ago I bought a bunch of very long (13ft) MIDI cables that gave me some troubles first but now I'm glad I did, they make it possible to keep my two 8x MIDI interfaces in one place and connect all the devices from there. No THRU-chains means that I can only switch on the machines I want to use for a track contrary to the classical THRU-chain method of connecting one synth to the THRU port of another where you have to power on all the synths in the signal paths.

If you have more than, say, four or five machines, it becomes increasingly difficult to arrange them so that everything is within easy reach, this specially goes for keyboard synths. Studio space is always scarce so the smaller a device, the better. That's why I like little boxes like the Volcas, MFB Nanozwerg, etc., small footprint but huge sound, right what I need. I also like rack units, even though they usually lack real-time controls and most of the time are difficult to program on the frontpanel but that's what software editors are for. Normally I prefer doing all the work directly on the machine but in some cases, using an editor opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

The best example for that is the Yamaha TX81Z, a 4-operator FM synth from the 80s that is famous for its thundering basses (LatelyBass, anyone?). FM synthesis is more complex than classic subtractive synthesis (with a standard VCO -> VCF -> VCA setup) and has a lot more options to offer than your run-of-the-mill analog or digital compact synth, keeping a good overview over all these parameters on a small text-only LCD display and adjusting them with just four buttons is a real pain in the ass. This is where YSEDITOR comes in handy that shows each and every parameter on a single screen and graphically displays the key parameters (operator envelopes) which gives you a quick visual help to know what's going on. YSEDITOR is a program for Atari ST that still gets maintained by its author, it may look dated but actually is the best editor for 4-op Yamaha FM synths around.

Haha, ah well.. you know... I still find using my Ataris kinda funny. Back in the Amiga days, I wouldn't have touched an Atari with a ten-feet stick, most games looked like crap on it and software support wasn't all that hot in its later days. However, its builtin MIDI ports made it the #1 choice for musicians from day one, some famous sequencer and audio workstation applications like Cubase or Logic/Notator that are still in use today started their life on the good ol' ST. Its DOS-compatibility is also very convenient, you can easily transfer floppies to PC, make backups or download some ST programs and transfer them to a floppy for immediate use on the ST. There's a ton of that stuff floating around on the 'net.

Here endeth my Sunday synth ramble. Oh, and check out my new tracks, eh. :)

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I almost felt like giving up on production today... had a software crash earlier and a track i had been working on on & off for the past few weeks(and was nearly finished with) is gone. well, it's still there... but the data is corrupt and attempted repairs to no avail.

I'm feeling like maybe I should just save up and get a Mac :(