Post Your Recent Purchases!

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
You should've just cleaned it. Good to know they aren't bootlegging CS, yet, though.
Wasn’t really ever thinking they were, but fake labels are a thing for cheap games too. Was half expecting to find a failed attempted conversion or bootleg of something else inside (non-functional). Was just suspicious enough that I wasn’t going to put it and risk the console without looking inside first.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Got a good deal on Crossed Swords AES since the seller thought it was “not working.”
https://imgur.com/a/7EqEd
ATkKVgOl.jpg

I thought my chances of getting it working were slim when it showed up in this particular reused box:
junzFRVl.jpg

First impression was that the label looked fake:
bdrtjtQl.jpg

Edges aren’t rounded, neither plastic-coated nor foil like my other games, and it didn’t even fit right.

Now that I’ve googled, I see that it’s entirely normal for this title. Wish I knew that when I was checking the boards:
31aBt6Xl.jpg

Boards are legit. I definitely should’ve been more careful with that label. It was barely attached to the back and trying to snap the shell back together levered it off instead.

Before testing...
bCKqWTHl.jpg

...it needs to be cleaned. I’m not sticking it in my console without cleaning.

Time to test, and...
aDlPr5el.jpg

...well, wha’do ya know?! It works. :)

Guess Mr. Digikey customer wasn’t the electronics pro, hobbyist, or enthusiast I thought he was if he didn’t even try cleaning it. :) I ain’t complainin’!

This was truly a heart-warming tale. Thanks for sharing.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Nice!
It was worth the risk.

Do you have carts for all those systems, or are ypu doing the everdrive thing?

I haven't really played with my snes since I got a classic.
Both, but it’s a shared collection with my twin brother so I can’t pretend it’s all mine. Only system we own without original carts is Wonderswan but we don’t have a flash cart for that either (picked it up as “junk” visiting Japan last year).

We’ve been using backup units and flash carts since we were kids in the ‘90s (Game Doctor 7, V64, V64jr, GB Xchanger, etc) but we still earned and kept legit games despite some... setbacks (fire, theft, loss, etc). Never used them to avoid the real thing!

The modern flash carts are really good for convenience and testing. Last few days we’ve been doing a lot of UltraHDMI and Hi-Def NES installs, some RGB mods and OSSC testing, where they have been particularly useful. That said, we love playing the originals wherever possible (please excuse the mess on the floor):
https://imgur.com/a/RFGLj
BoPuIW6l.jpg

xqtl0MNl.jpg

Couch covers Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, PSX, Atari 2600, 7800, 5200, and more.

This was truly a heart-warming tale. Thanks for sharing.
Last I checked, that’s what the thread was for. ;) Lucky for you I’m sticking to Neo stuff or else you’d hear me drone on about pics of the 20x UltraHDMI I unexpectedly received Wednesday or the Voultar N64 RGB bypass I received and installed the day before or the HD Retrovision cables and adapters we got a few days before that or... you get the picture.

Last edited:

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
@ czroe.
that's a set.
i trust the shelf units are secured to the walls to prevent them toppling?
yeah, looking good. :D

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
[True enthusiast] status: confirmed
FTFY.

Why so many nes sets? One not enough?
Nope. A car enthusiast has multiple cars. A gun enthusiast has multiple guns. An NES enthusiast has multiple NES consoles. Just like those other enthusiasts, I care about more than the average user (not that I’d shy away from loose games).

Here are the various uses I have for the extra NES hardware:
Unmodified original for baseline comparison, known-good spare/backup, Hi-Def NES with Blinking Light Win, NESRGB with expansion audio and BLW, Deluxe Set with ROB... for ROB (requires composite), twinFAMICOM for microphone games and expansion audio, AV Famicom to experiment with mods (already moved the multi-out to an NES-101 and 3D printed a replacement), my original Action Set from my childhood, a test console with ZIF sockets for troubleshooting others, two junk Famicoms for a wireless controller and HDMI project, multiple parts spares, extras for friends, family, coworkers, and acquaintances that come asking, etc.

OK, I will admit that the Challenge Set is just a box I rescued that I’ll probably sell if someone comes to me looking for a boxed set with SMB3 and doesn’t mind that the foam is missing. I’m putting my extra NES-101 on eBay tonight after upgrading it with Hi-Def NES. Just got the console last week with Mr Gimmick and Blazing Lazers, which I’ve wanted for a long time. We definitely don’t keep things around for no reason but I will do what I can to add value to the next proud owner.

...but that ain’t the half of it. This is what I see to the left of where I sit right now:
75LdCxyl.jpg

Again, having a reputation as an enthusiast means people come to me for consoles, modwork, and expertise. Never hurts to have extras when I rekindle their own interest.

These aren’t being “collected” to sit on a shelf like madman might assume. Enthusiasm often leads to this kind of thing. I’ve seen the same thing play out with say, a Ford Mustang enthusiast who ends up with a workshop containing several project cars. Heck, I have four Ninja 250s because I needed parts and backups. I can justify those too: Working on one can take it out of commission for a while and I didn’t even own a car for four years. Another is a parts spare with a blown engine. Another is experimental track bike with modern parts on an older generation. The other was supposed to just be an engine but ended up coming with the rest of the bike (Craigslist deal; suspect it was stolen :().

Though we are primarily NES fans, our enthusiasm doesn’t stop there:
AnqXt8Cl.jpg

It was TWO rows of N64s a month ago but I have done 26 UltraHDMI kits since then (have 18 more to go). Most of those charcoal consoles are units I’ve had for years (dumped on me, received from coworkers, found for $5 at a thrift store, came with a bunch of games I wanted, etc). Until UltraHDMI demand wanes a bit I generally wont be using the charcoal consoles... except for parts. They’ve definitely proven useful. Even in the last few days, I needed an expansion pak door for a friend (shipped today) and I board-swapped an NS1 console for someone who wanted Voultar’s RGB mod (a couple days ago). There are are least two more charcoal N64s in my car trunk that got dumped on me at the fleamarket last weekend (didn’t want to mix them up)!

Same reason why I have two AES consoles and two MVS boards right now.
M0FKUREl.jpg

https://youtu.be/NeAUEI8KZaE

I don’t plan to keep them forever. In each case, I bought the extra broken and repaired it so that I can trade/resell and explore even more of the Neo library myself. Only reason I haven’t sold the extra MVS/AES yet is because I’m still sweetening the pot with UniBIOS, replica cases that I’m making myself (and plan to share), and more.

That reminds me:
0TIusSfl.jpg

Bought 12 SFCs so I could hunt down a strange issue that seems to be affecting a ton of older SHVC SNES/SFC consoles (ones with modular SPC700 sound module): RF only; no composite/S-video. Made it a personal vendetta after my friend in Puerto Rico lost everything to the hurricane while I was looking at his childhood SNES with that issue.

Haven’t gotten started on that yet but I have tested all 12 and made notes. Of those, three seem to work fine. A few definitely have the problem I’m looking for. In the course of finding out what’s wrong, I anticipate fixing most of the others just by swapping components with known-good ones and combining them. At $8 each (eBay 20% off coupon), I’d say it’s worth the risk. I’ve already saved several from landfills by telling people to test RF after they think their SNES is dead. I’ll definitely be sharing the fix if I do find it. I know someone else in Puerto Rico who has/had 47 consoles with this defect (yes, fourty-seven before the hurricane).

Call me a “collectard” all you want, madman, but I like to think that someone will eventually appreciate what I do. :)

I want to hear more about this.
Someone borrowed our SNES with our entire SNES library in the late ‘90s. Never saw it again. Friend borrowed an NES with our only copies of several classics. Whole apartment burned down (doesn’t compare to his loss, of course). Rented with a roommate. Landlady’s daughter helped herself to all of our XBOX, PSone, GameCube, etc stuff ($3,800+ for a little weed). Lost a binder of 400+ discs (either taken from the car or carelessly set on top by a passenger).

I did recover my imported GBA, gold Zelda Limited Edition Game Boy Camera, and more from a crackhead who stole the case out of my car. It was a long shot because I didn’t even know what he looked like when I showed up in that neighborhood asking questions (stupid, I know). Thought it happened again a year later when my boss hid our even bigger case (HUGE) with two GBAs and a large library. I’m still seething about that. Screw that guy. We asked around for weeks and finally started rebuilding the library when he eventually admitted to it (excuse to buy a newly-released GBA SP, at least).

Lots of smaller incidents but those are the biggest I recall.

Last edited:

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
@ czroe.
that's a set.
i trust the shelf units are secured to the walls to prevent them toppling?
yeah, looking good. :D
Thanks.

Secured well enough for an area without earthquakes but I definitely wouldn’t count on the shelves to secure what’s piled above. Still, too much useful space to ignore. I mounted them with a large gap between the shelves and the wall so that the boxes on top will have more surface area further out. Seems to help a lot, but I’ll eventually be adding a shelf that goes across all of the units to improve it.

Last edited:

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
fair enough.
used a plank of wood (1cm x 10cm) to bridge two dvd shelves at the shelf top as well as the wall brackets, shelf height is 7 foot at least, and put boxes on them similar to what you've done.
when i threw up the shelves, put a plank under their base set forward so center of gravity is toward the wall. (between 5 and 7 kilograms upper pushback weight.)
had to do this after a trial assembly, and a spirit level warned me i could be injured if the shelf was stacked without an offset foundation and upper wall security.
[edit]
correction.

Last edited:

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
I was wrong. Hoarder status: confirmed
Hard to deny this one. Hoarders always think they can justify even if their rationalizations aren’t convincing anyone. I can try though!

At least I’m not bottling my own feces like some people. Please don’t look in my shed. It’s fertilizer-I swear! :)

Not that I’ll convince anyone, but the mess on the floor was from dragging out all the controller bins, bags, boxes, etc and pulling down some console boxes to find a working Sega Genesis controller. After checking out the OSSC for the first time, a childhood friend wanted to play some of the games we remembered and the first three controllers we tried had something wrong with it.

Dopamine hit for having enough spares to find a functioning one. Hoarding rewarded. Behavior reinforced. Brain ignoring that the others were junk and that it caused problems to keep junk around.

They’re actually on the workbench to be refurbished after work along with a Sega Saturn controller that we found didn’t work at all. If they can’t, they’ll get parted out.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Fuckin hell you just waffle on and on its almost as if you think anyone here gives a fuck.

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
Fuck all that game shit your talking..... Did you just say you had 4 ninja 250s? The bike?? Who rides a fucking ninja 250??

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Fuckin hell you just waffle on and on its almost as if you think anyone here gives a fuck.
It’s almost like I’m responding to people. Imagine that!

Case in point:
I want to hear more about this.
:cool:

Guess I’m really feeding the trolls, but at least it’s what I want to do.

Fuck all that game shit your talking..... Did you just say you had 4 ninja 250s? The bike?? Who rides a fucking ninja 250??
It’s more fun to ride a small bike fast than throttle yourself on a monster bike. It still beats just about any car off the line and 0-60 while going plenty fast enough to get me in trouble.

Funny: If I cared about engine displacement enough for that common sentiment to faze me at all, don’t you think I would’ve responded to that peer pressure years ago and traded up for a bigger bike instead of buying more? Who’s REALLY wasting their breath here? ;)

I was thinking the same thing. His Nerdism is actually pretty annoying.
Then don’t encourage me by giving me something to respond to. I obviously embrace it and am not fazed by any attempts to shame me for it. Neener neener. Sucks for you. :)

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It’s almost like I’m responding to people. Imagine that!

It’s more fun to ride a small bike fast than throttle yourself on a monster bike. It still beats just about any car off the line and 0-60 while going plenty fast enough to get me in trouble.

Funny: If I cared about engine displacement enough for your comment to faze me at all, don’t you think I would’ve responded to that peer pressure years ago and traded up for a bigger bike instead of buying more? Who’s REALLY wasting their breath here? ;)

Then don’t encourage me by giving me something to respond to. I obviously embrace it and am not fazed by any attempts to shame me for it. Neener neener. Sucks for you. :)

Why not a 600? They are still pretty light, easy to manuevr and have more get up and go. Also fun for leaning on long turns. I started on a 01 R6 and even after about 1 year of riding It felt like I could throw the bike around. 1000s are completely different animals.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Why not a 600? They are still pretty light, easy to manuevr and have more get up and go. Also fun for leaning on long turns. I started on a 01 R6 and even after about 1 year of riding It felt like I could throw the bike around. 1000s are completely different animals.
Yeah. If I were buying today, I’d probably go for an ‘05/‘06 636. Main reason I haven’t is total cost of ownership (tires, tools, services I can’t do myself, etc). For a 250, buying another engine to swap in and taking my time on the valve adjustment is cheaper than paying for a valve adjustment, plus, less downtime and a spare engine to boot. I’d be terrified of breaking open a 636 engine with no fall-back.

Edit: Also considered getting an R6 when my buddy still worked at Yamaha. Would’ve been a HUGE employee discount but it has to stay registered in the employee’s name for a year.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yeah. If I were buying today, I’d probably go for an ‘05/‘06 636. Main reason I haven’t is total cost of ownership (tires, tools, services I can’t do myself, etc). For a 250, buying another engine to swap in and taking my time on the valve adjustment is cheaper than paying for a valve adjustment, plus, less downtime and a spare engine to boot. I’d be terrified of breaking open a 636 engine with no fall-back.

Edit: Also considered getting an R6 when my buddy still worked at Yamaha. Would’ve been a HUGE employee discount but it has to stay registered in the employee’s name for a year.

I owned one for like 5 or 6 years and sold it. It was a good bike with very little Maintenance. You should consider upgrading especially if you've been riding for many years and are a more experienced rider.

Dude, will all the doubles of gaming stuff and bikes you own, you could get a nice bike lol. Plenty of People out there looking for Consoles and Games. You seem to be a Nice Guy, just a little to OCD about shit. Just a word of advice. Take it if you like or tell me to fuck off, just saying.