Post your tated setup.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
They have a 50" tated tv at the bank my wife works at. Everytime I see it, all I can think of is "damn...some shmups would look nuts on this thing."

-DZ

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
Funny you guys mention projectors. Not too long ago a friend and I ghetto rigged a projector to play some shmups. Really immersive experience. It would be nice to have some sort of permanent mount capable of doing that.... or like what others have mentioned, just wait for the portable projectors to improve.

I don't know if you guys do this as well... but at airports, news broadcasts, etc... you ever notice how many "tated" 42-50+ flatpanels they always seem to have? I always think in my head... what a waste! Should be playing some shmups on those! haha

@Darkneo

From what I recall, there were just a few screws in the back that attached the stock stand to the monitor. Same deal with my old monitor. Once you remove that, the standard VESA mount for PC monitors should be ready to accept a compatible VESA stand/arm/bracket.

Hi StealthLurker

Oh yeah! i think i know what 2 screws you mean. I gonna have to look for a small screwdriver to get to em, be of the Stand Casing that is covering over em. Once i get the the stand off i wanna attach a wall bracket mount to mount the Lcd onto my wall and my stick can stay on the small table for me to play with. at the moment the lcd is in a tate position resting a bookcase with the stick resting front of the lcd so it doesn't slide. thanks for help mate :)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You wanna see tated screens? Here you goons, you haven't sen nothing until you see these!
www-1jl-imagescom.jpeg

Those are actually projected screens and they look extremely good, when I was at the concert I was like "Damn I wanna see panty shots on Ibara on that screen!"

Also, I'm on the works of getting a stand that can rotate up to a 50" flat screen, when I get the thing I'll keep you all posted.

Also and incidentally, glad to see some folks listen and got the Ergotron Neoflex stand. They're awsome aren't they! You can thank me later :emb:

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Also, I'm on the works of getting a stand that can rotate up to a 50" flat screen, when I get the thing I'll keep you all posted.

Did you end up getting that mount you posted info about a while back or did you find something better?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I just ran out to gamestop and picked up Raiden IV. I know you kids want to see how I do it.

mail

forgive the cell phone...and the curtains.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
I upgraded my ghetto tate this week with a 27'' flat screen CRT. It looks gorgeous and towers over the little 14'' CRT I had before. Only downside is that it's heavy as hell.

img1205tn.jpg

Game used to illustrate scale.

Last edited:

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
I just ran out to gamestop and picked up Raiden IV. I know you kids want to see how I do it.

mail

forgive the cell phone...and the curtains.

I think google is 404ing your pic.

How is Raiden4?

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
photo.jpg

19" Samsung SyncMaster on a 3M mount.
Klipsch THX Media Pro 2.1 200W for sound

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
My current set up has me going back to my Sharp Aquos.

My Bravia gives a better picture through my up-scan converter, but it has a different VESA alignment and I can't get hold of an adapter plate.

My very first set up was an up-ended Sony 25" Wide-screen WEGA.

It's a tough choice between the CRT and the Bravia (via additional hardware).

Anywhoo here are two not-so-great pictures of my set up, when I first did it, and most recently rocking the delights of Mushi Futari.

It's very difficult fiddlling round with shooters, even if you have a swivelling wall mount. I guess I really should get round to getting a cab.

mahou.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
My current set up has me going back to my Sharp Aquos.

My Bravia gives a better picture through my up-scan converter, but it has a different VESA alignment and I can't get hold of an adapter plate.

My very first set up was an up-ended Sony 25" Wide-screen WEGA.

It's a tough choice between the CRT and the Bravia (via additional hardware).

Anywhoo here are two not-so-great pictures of my set up, when I first did it, and most recently rocking the delights of Mushi Futari.

It's very difficult fiddlling round with shooters, even if you have a swivelling wall mount. I guess I really should get round to getting a cab.

Ah I remember this pic of your Sharp.

Is that a rotating TV wall mount you're using or is it permanently vert? I considered having a permanent vert TV mounting by a typical wall VESA mount or stand, but depending on the shmup rotation might be clock or counterclock. It'd be nice to rotate either direction just like the after market pc monitor mounts.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I'd like to get that rotating base that Electric Grave has, but my monitor doesn't have the standard 4-screw mount. It's an Acer AL2216W. I might just try to build something out of wood and padding to rest it on.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Ah I remember this pic of your Sharp.

Is that a rotating TV wall mount you're using or is it permanently vert? I considered having a permanent vert TV mounting by a typical wall VESA mount or stand, but depending on the shmup rotation might be clock or counterclock. It'd be nice to rotate either direction just like the after market pc monitor mounts.

It's a 360 degree rotating wall mount that also angles, it's pretty versatile, but was a pain to set up.

Also there is a problem in keeping it in position as televisions weights are not evenly distributed, so it keeps wanting to rotate away whatever position you set it to.

I'm sure there are wall mounts that lock into place, for the time being, I have to use various methods to keep it tated.

It's bloody superb, although I also have a second set up, which is a small tated monitor on a desk. It's not as dramatic, but it's probably a more focused set up.

I've gone through a number of set ups and I have another idea hatching at the moment too. I should just get a bloody cab and be done with it! :)

agustusx

Marked Wolf
Noah says prepare for the flood...

I've been meaning to post these for months, then i moved and my setup changed. My setup original was a 19inch viewsonic and then I upgraded to a 21inch Sony. I also upgraded sticks and this system is ready to play anything I want to throw at it. For the PS2 I use a megacool 1080p adapter so it runs via VGA. I can have either the laptop or x360 run via the vga passtrough. The laptop is pretty lowend but capable of running mame, SSF, nullDC and pretty much any non PS2 emulator.
1_19inch_original.jpg

Originally my setup was in the corner of the living room.
2_old_setup.jpg

In my new apartment I keep the shmup stuff in my computer room on the opposite wall of my "productive" equipment. This is my current configuration anytime I won't be playing the PS2.
3_mf_demo2.jpg

Of course I still play PS2 here and there, and I can't exactly play Deathsmiles tated so I have that covered as well. The xbox on the tated screen is US and can't play DS but when needed I can just swap video cables and use the LCD if I choose. The video cables stay connected to the displays when not in use and keeps things easy. Also I can swap the power brick from one xbox to the other when both are not needed simultaneously. Usually the JP xbox stays in the living room since it plays most of the non-shmup games I have, but on occasion it serves its original purpose playing shmups.
4_db_ds.jpg

Just for those who like to see what the scanlines look like on low res games. The reco image is using fake scanlines via the options menu.
5_ibar_menu.jpg
6_ddpdoj_scanline.jpg
7_mf_fake.jpg

I'ts tough to have quality pictures to show off the image quality but i tried. I can say it looks sweet IRL.
8_mf_demo.jpg

9_mf_boss.jpg

0_mf_ultra.jpg

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
It's a 360 degree rotating wall mount that also angles, it's pretty versatile, but was a pain to set up.

Also there is a problem in keeping it in position as televisions weights are not evenly distributed, so it keeps wanting to rotate away whatever position you set it to.

I'm sure there are wall mounts that lock into place, for the time being, I have to use various methods to keep it tated.

It's bloody superb, although I also have a second set up, which is a small tated monitor on a desk. It's not as dramatic, but it's probably a more focused set up.

I've gone through a number of set ups and I have another idea hatching at the moment too. I should just get a bloody cab and be done with it! :)

Do they sell the exact mount you use online and any chance you could post a link? Probably with the new LED LCD tvs out now... being so much lighter, it might be much easier with that type of mount.

Cabs are cool and all and have 1 set up for perma tate, with another one I flip back n forth every now and then... but it's kinda nice to have as many options as possible available. So I don't think there's just ONE uber end all setup.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Of course I still play PS2 here and there, and I can't exactly play Deathsmiles tated so I have that covered as well. The xbox on the tated screen is US and can't play DS but when needed I can just swap video cables and use the LCD if I choose. The video cables stay connected to the displays when not in use and keeps things easy. Also I can swap the power brick from one xbox to the other when both are not needed simultaneously. Usually the JP xbox stays in the living room since it plays most of the non-shmup games I have, but on occasion it serves its original purpose playing shmups.

I got a similar setup with an hdmi splitter running one end to my tate-able pc monitor and the other end to an HDTV. I didn't want to deal with cable swapping. To make any connection possible (with good scaling/de-interlacing of legacy sources), I got a a couple dedicated video processors that can handle "almost" any input type (including VGA) and output via hdmi/comp/vga.

Since CRT is the king of old skool I keep a Sony PVM in the same room ready to go. What's pretty cool too is that I can display any system/output on all 3 (PC monitor, TV, CRT) at the same time or separately. That way if I feel like tate/hori on a pc monitor... check, hori on the tv check, tate/hori on a high quality CRT... check.... all with a push of a button on a remote (minus flipping the CRT lol)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I'd like to get that rotating base that Electric Grave has, but my monitor doesn't have the standard 4-screw mount. It's an Acer AL2216W. I might just try to build something out of wood and padding to rest it on.

So I was playing around with the monitor and it does actually have the standard mount. I went out to Staples and bought the rotating stand for $50. Totally worth it. The only problem was that the AL2216W's stock stand is a pain in the ass to remove. I finally got it off though. I'll post some pics when my camera's batteries are charged.

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
Here's my recent setup, which is actually behind the counter in the back room of the gaming shop opening soon. It's a 22.5 widescreen LCD mounted using a top mounted Neo-Flex Ergotron Arm.

tated1.jpg

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Do they sell the exact mount you use online and any chance you could post a link? Probably with the new LED LCD tvs out now... being so much lighter, it might be much easier with that type of mount.

Cabs are cool and all and have 1 set up for perma tate, with another one I flip back n forth every now and then... but it's kinda nice to have as many options as possible available. So I don't think there's just ONE uber end all setup.

Yeh I don't think I will ever be 100% happy wit whatever set up, I just like to buy TVs and mess around with AV equipment. :)

I can't remember where I got it as it was ages ago, but they have a similar one at a site I get DVD's from, I'm sure you could find something similar in your neck of the woods.

You will note though that the majority of the tateable wall mounts are of the 100 x 100 VESA standard ... except that most modern larger LCD's use 200 x 200! :(

So, you would then need to find an adapter plate for your panel - which are out there but its just another hassle.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5622626/VESA-100-x-100-Rotate-LCD-Wall-Mount-TV-Bracket/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0&&_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:5622626|cat:TV+Stands

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Augustx, if that sony tube is your main tated setup you could easily remove the neck that it comes with thus making look a bit nicer. That's if you only used that monitor vertically though.

agustusx

Marked Wolf
Augustx, if that sony tube is your main tated setup you could easily remove the neck that it comes with thus making look a bit nicer. That's if you only used that monitor vertically though.

ya know I NEVER thought of that. I've got the lcd and a backup viewsonic crt if I every need hori action. Must research base removal.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
48183077.jpg

This was improvised because I don't own any vertical games of my own other than that Mushi360.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Augustx, It usually just clips on and off, easy enough. I used to do it with my VGA CRT.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Very cool. I'll post up the setup we have at my apartment in a few. Great stuff.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
My camera phone sucks but here's my tate setup.

sony PVM 19". Works pretty well, although some of the game gets cut off in the corners as you can see in the 2nd pic. Doesn't really affect gameplay though.
will have to do until I can get my candy rewired.

tate-1.jpg

mmp1.jpg