Preparing for quarantine

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ppl over here keep buying canned foods and there were only two packs of noodles left at the supermarket when my wife went shopping yesterday, and of course no more toilet/tissue paper. One of the workers said that they will be fully restocked on Monday but we would have to be there early at 6am if we want to get some. Not sure whether I can be arsed.

Tine overheard the conversation of an old couple who were standing in front of the empty TP stand. Old woman: "What are we going to do now?". Old man: "Pff, who cares, we still have a heap of old newspapers in the kitchen!". That's the spirit, eh.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
OK, how in the hell are supermarkets getting supplies panic bought out when I went to six supermarkets here and never encountered anything like it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
OK, how in the hell are supermarkets getting supplies panic bought out when I went to six supermarkets here and never encountered anything like it.

I can only speak for our region here, and it's different from shop to shop/chain to chain, some of them obviously saw it coming and stocked up accordingly, others didn't.

There are no real shortages of anything atm over here, it's just a problem of distribution.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Ppl over here keep buying canned foods and there were only two packs of noodles left at the supermarket when my wife went shopping yesterday, and of course no more toilet/tissue paper. One of the workers said that they will be fully restocked on Monday but we would have to be there early at 6am if we want to get some. Not sure whether I can be arsed.

Tine overheard the conversation of an old couple who were standing in front of the empty TP stand. Old woman: "What are we going to do now?". Old man: "Pff, who cares, we still have a heap of old newspapers in the kitchen!". That's the spirit, eh.

I had to go to our local Aldi first thing in the morning to try and get toilet paper. There was almost 100 people there, I had to dash for it! Thought I was going to end up on the news running for ass wipes :lolz: secured myself a 24 pack...

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
It's been infuriating going on facebook seeing people openly traveling and still attending events with hundreds of people.

Oh the humanity! People freely moving about their country! There oughta be a law!

Newsflash for LoneSage, people by and large do not give two shits about this yet and are not willing to do harm (specifically economic harm) to themselves or their family over it.

Humans as all animals are selfish and until the risk of harm from leaving your house and contracting a virus outweigh the harm from being a shut-in, people will generally continue with semi-normal lives.

The potential risk is high, the actual risk is not there yet. There are 3 confirmed cases in Western PA. I'm not drastically altering my life yet for those odds.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You may be right. I hope you are right. China is a drastically more population dense than America.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Another fucking time I need to edit, FUCK

Don't take edit function for granted, folks

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

American society is driven by cycles of fear and consumption. Remember hearing about the Gas Crisis of 1979? There was no gas supply crisis. It was a self fulfilling prophecy.

Another good documentary on the cycles of fear and consumption is "bowling for columbine".

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
UK strategy is becoming clear - gubmint seems to be aiming for herd immunity by allowing most people to become infected but anyone over 70 to self isolate completely for 3 or more months, with the hope of timing it just right.

Thoughts?

Seems like a rationale / common sense approach, provided the NHS has the capacity to cope with a high increase in cases requiring treatment in the near term.

lithy

20 Year Member
American society is driven by cycles of fear and consumption. Remember hearing about the Gas Crisis of 1979? There was no gas supply crisis. It was a self fulfilling prophecy.

Another good documentary on the cycles of fear and consumption is "bowling for columbine".

And a good reminder, as complaints of 'price gouging' will certainly ramp up, that price increases in times of crisis help keep supplies from being wiped out as well as provide economic incentive for effective distribution of goods from areas with excess to areas with need.

But instead we'll prosecute people making a buck.

Price gouging saves lives.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

iu

Marek

Banned
And a good reminder, as complaints of 'price gouging' will certainly ramp up, that price increases in times of crisis help keep supplies from being wiped out as well as provide economic incentive for effective distribution of goods from areas with excess to areas with need.

Lol

I cant wait to hear your libtardtarian take on it all when your community grinds to a halt.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

FFS

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Oh the humanity! People freely moving about their country! There oughta be a law!

Newsflash for LoneSage, people by and large do not give two shits about this yet and are not willing to do harm (specifically economic harm) to themselves or their family over it.

Humans as all animals are selfish and until the risk of harm from leaving your house and contracting a virus outweigh the harm from being a shut-in, people will generally continue with semi-normal lives.

The potential risk is high, the actual risk is not there yet. There are 3 confirmed cases in Western PA. I'm not drastically altering my life yet for those odds.

ef46957c38355f200c941e3b4e84412b.jpg

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member

I'm not worried about this personally (most shouldn't be). For sake of clarity though - the "confirmed" case numbers are demonstrably inaccurate. Testing is so limited in the US and across most of the world that only very specific people, and wealthy/influential people are being tested. Which is why there is a what would seem to be inordinate amount of high profile people infected. Celebrities, athletes, politicians, government workers are able to be tested outside the normal parameters and are frequently found to be infected despite no recent travel to an outbreak epicenter, a cruise, or even being fully symptomatic.

The point to all of that - there are millions of people infected right now, the true mortality rate is likely around typical flu - 0.1 to 0.2%.

So, unless this mutates, there really is nothing to be concerned about. It would be nice if someone other than Angie Merkel said this - you know, the WHO or CDC.

Only in South Korea and to a smaller extent China, did tests become available without such rigorous criteria. South Korea found thousands of people infected who would not be eligible for a test in Europe or N. America - a reason their mortality rate is just under 1% whereas Italy is 8%. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I work in a hospital - we are having about 75 people a day presenting with COVID (so they think and some are likely correct). We are testing only those who meet the high CDC criteria (exposure to confirmed case, travel to one of the 6 prime countries, or on the Grand Princess ship in last few weeks). So, we are testing 1-2 of 75 potential cases a day.

You should assume everyone around you is infected - most will show zero to very mild signs. You really should only be concerned if you have contact with folks over 70 and/or people with significant respiratory or kidney diseases. There is reason to be smart and cautious, but nothing beyond that.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Why toilet paper? We use what we call "cunt phones" here... (some models looked like old phones :keke: )

860x480_Signa_close-up.jpg

bidetta1.jpg

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

That’s cute but it’s not really the problem. The real problem is the health care system being overloaded for young and old.

2000 ICU beds in Australia, if 60% of the population here get it and 5% are critical cases we need 750k ICU beds. Obviously, not everyone gets it at once or as severe but still the numbers are staggering and there isn’t a health care system in the world equipped to deal with it.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
No shit, Mot. Do you even scroll down bro?

;^)

I posted about Social Distancing helping to ‘flatten the curve’ also.

tl;dr-

If we all ‘catch this cold’ at once, we are fucked. There aren’t enough ICU beds.

This germ is putting healthy 40yr olds on respirators.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
The point to all of that - there are millions of people infected right now, the true mortality rate is likely around typical flu - 0.1 to 0.2%.

Only in South Korea and to a smaller extent China, did tests become available without such rigorous criteria. South Korea found thousands of people infected who would not be eligible for a test in Europe or N. America - a reason their mortality rate is just under 1% whereas Italy is 8%. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I agree with you but would add, it’s not just the testing that is making mortality rates hard to get accurate. Italy is in triage mode, their rate is higher due to that as well, lots of lives that could have been otherwise saved if they had beds/respirators/staff to handle the influx. A problem many countries will walk into. I imagine Spain is getting close to that as well with their numbers right now.

Things are ramping up here in the states, Ohio and Illinois just announced all bars and dine in restaurants will close at 9pm tonight until further notice. Take out and delivery still allowed.

How many more states will follow suite on that and soon most like.

It will all happen faster than people think. All those people on Facebook who think this is fake or some Trump/election year conspiracy shit are about to have their world turned upside down. This may be one of the weirdest things we live through. Not panick worthy apocalypse stuff, but definitely a stark reminder of how interconnected our world is and how fragile that civilized infrastructure can be. Some of Sage’s China pics are a bit of a mindfuck to think about happening here.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
No shit, Mot. Do you even scroll down bro?

;^)

I posted about Social Distancing helping to ‘flatten the curve’ also.

tl;dr-

If we all ‘catch this cold’ at once, we are fucked. There aren’t enough ICU beds.

This germ is putting healthy 40yr olds on respirators.

I don't think people understand this. I think people think unless you're 90 and have rotten lungs, you're safe.

lithy

20 Year Member
Lol

I cant wait to hear your libtardtarian take on it all when your community grinds to a halt.

You still work as a bartender?

Last edited: