Preparing for quarantine

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Anyone else have a job that won’t stop regardless of virus concerns?

I work at what is essentially a group home for at-risk youth. They receive 24/7 supervision and care. I suppose we could send some of the kids home if we had to close. Most likely the majority would go to juvenile detention. Neither of those are going to happen.

I’ll be there throughout making that money. I do expect a lot of call-outs from staff coming up soon.

Oh well at least we’ll have power. The mandatory outages in CA last year were a nightmare.

EDIT: Stop posting Facebook memes for fucks sake.

There is chatter among the local breweries that the PA Governor will shut down bars and restaurants this week to follow suit with Ohio and Illinois, a couple brewers have closed their tap rooms as a precaution already. Allegheny County has 'suggested' that non-essential businesses close, we are in an adjacent county, nothing from them yet.

I'll likely still go to work to get ahead (I'll probably be the only one there anyway, social distancing yeah!), but if we're closed and not selling much beer I'll run out of work to do pretty quickly. Although that will become an issue if the day care closes, I'll likely be on dad duty since my wife works at a skilled nursing facility and that won't be closing.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Me on week 8 of lockdown in China while the rest of the world starts to freak out:

EDIT: Stop posting Facebook memes for fucks sake.

3iymuprzfnm41.png

lithy

20 Year Member
Oh give me a break.

The fuck is everyone's problem today? Jesus.

Would it help if I told you I work at a bar and I wanted to talk to him about how it was likely going to immediately affect his work?

You're being a bunch of overwrought faggots right now.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
There is chatter among the local breweries that the PA Governor will shut down bars and restaurants this week to follow suit with Ohio and Illinois, a couple brewers have closed their tap rooms as a precaution already. Allegheny County has 'suggested' that non-essential businesses close, we are in an adjacent county, nothing from them yet.

I'll likely still go to work to get ahead (I'll probably be the only one there anyway, social distancing yeah!), but if we're closed and not selling much beer I'll run out of work to do pretty quickly. Although that will become an issue if the day care closes, I'll likely be on dad duty since my wife works at a skilled nursing facility and that won't be closing.

I can tell you what happened here, for the very few restaurants and bars that remained open:
-mandatory temperature check at entrance
-mandatory face mask (except when eating)
-staggered seating (taking chairs away, moving tables to maximize space)
-maximum two people per table (one time I saw a group of 3 guys eat at three separate tables but still talk, funny work-around)
-sterilization, but I imagine that's normal in America

Business will take a hit. Certainly Americans are far more whatever than Chinese, but I went to a restaurant bar a few times and every time I was the only guy there, maybe one other.

FFS I'm having coffee at KFC right now and there is only one other customer dining in, while everyone else just gets takeaway.

Tighten the belt, bro. I know you already do but still.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Good coffee?

3F768B07-E8DE-47BB-AE8E-56536446ADA1.jpeg

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’ve been kind of joking about this stuff in the war room but truthfully I am pretty concerned.

My immune system is very weak as I take a strong immunosuppressant medication weekly for a chronic illness I have. For a bit I started driving into work until my boss and his boss both called me into his office and said they want me to work from home indefinitely. Also talked my doctors office and they confirmed that I am in a very high risk category. Pretty much haven’t left the house since last week except to go play in the yard with the kids...at least the weather has been nice here.

Aside from my weekly medication which I self inject at home, once a month I go to the hospital for an infusion. Not looking forward to go to MGH during all this but I guess I have no choice.

Marek

Banned
The fuck is everyone's problem today? Jesus.

Would it help if I told you I work at a bar and I wanted to talk to him about how it was likely going to immediately affect his work?

You're being a bunch of overwrought faggots right now.

Oh and what type of faggot does that make you? An effete pedantic faggot?

You're a clown, a caricature of a person.

Good luck with your whole deal man. Keep us posted!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I’ve been kind of joking about this stuff in the war room but truthfully I am pretty concerned.

My immune system is very weak as I take a strong immunosuppressant medication weekly for a chronic illness I have. For a bit I started driving into work until my boss and his boss both called me into his office and said they want me to work from home indefinitely. Also talked my doctors office and they confirmed that I am in a very high risk category. Pretty much haven’t left the house since last week except to go play in the yard with the kids...at least the weather has been nice here.

Aside from my weekly medication which I self inject at home, once a month I go to the hospital for an infusion. Not looking forward to go to MGH during all this but I guess I have no choice.

Ah crap. Keep your chin up, I really hope all goes well. All the best Moe

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

I would highly recommend wearing face masks and glasses going outside. The more you cover your face the greater the chance to reduce infection.

lithy

20 Year Member
Oh and what type of faggot does that make you? An effete pedantic faggot?

You're a clown, a caricature of a person.

Good luck with your whole deal man. Keep us posted!

So is that a yes or no?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
“I am writing to you from Bergamo, Italy, at the heart of the coronavirus crisis. The news media in the US has not captured the severity of what is happening here. I am writing this post because each of you, today, not the government, not the school district, not the mayor, each individual citizen has the chance, today to take actions that will deter the Italian situation from becoming your own country’s reality. The only way to stop this virus is to limit contagion. And the only way to limit contagion is for millions of people to change their behavior today.

If you are in Europe or the US you are weeks away from where we are today in Italy.

I can hear you now. “It’s just a flu. It only affects old people with preconditions”

There are 2 reasons why Coronavirus has brought Italy to it’s knees. First it is a flu is devastating when people get really sick they need weeks of ICU – and, second, because of how fast and effectively it spreads. There is 2 week incubation period and many who have it never show symptoms.

When Prime Minister Conte announced last night that the entire country, 60 million people, would go on lock down, the line that struck me most was “there is no more time.” Because to be clear, this national lock down, is a hail mary. What he means is that if the numbers of contagion do not start to go down, the system, Italy, will collapse.

Why? Today the ICUs in Lombardy are at capacity – more than capacity. They have begun to put ICU units in the hallways. If the numbers do not go down, the growth rate of contagion tells us that there will be thousands of people who in a matter of a week? two weeks? who will need care. What will happen when there are 100, or a 1000 people who need the hospital and only a few ICU places left?

On Monday a doctor wrote in the paper that they have begun to have to decide who lives and who dies when the patients show up in the emergency room, like what is done in war. This will only get worse.

There are a finite number of drs, nurses, medical staff and they are getting the virus. They have also been working non-stop, non-stop for days and days. What happens when the drs, nurses and medical staff are simply not able to care for the patients, when they are not there?

And finally for those who say that this is just something that happens to old people, starting yesterday the hospitals are reporting that younger and younger patients – 40, 45, 18, are coming in for treatment.

You have a chance to make a difference and stop the spread in your country. Push for the entire office to work at home today, cancel birthday parties, and other gatherings, stay home as much as you can. If you have a fever, any fever, stay home. Push for school closures, now. Anything you can do to stop the spread, because it is spreading in your communities – there is a two week incubation period – and if you do these things now you can buy your medical system time.

And for those who say it is not possible to close the schools, and do all these other things, locking down Italy was beyond anyone’s imagination a week ago.

Soon you will not have a choice, so do what you can now.”

~Christina Higgins

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
No preparing for me. They closed all coffeeshops here for 3 weeks and announced it half an hour before lockdown. I found out to late. Fuck my life

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
“I am writing to you from Bergamo, Italy, at the heart of the coronavirus crisis. The news media in the US has not captured the severity of what is happening here. I am writing this post because each of you, today, not the government, not the school district, not the mayor, each individual citizen has the chance, today to take actions that will deter the Italian situation from becoming your own country’s reality. The only way to stop this virus is to limit contagion. And the only way to limit contagion is for millions of people to change their behavior today.

If you are in Europe or the US you are weeks away from where we are today in Italy.

I can hear you now. “It’s just a flu. It only affects old people with preconditions”

There are 2 reasons why Coronavirus has brought Italy to it’s knees. First it is a flu is devastating when people get really sick they need weeks of ICU – and, second, because of how fast and effectively it spreads. There is 2 week incubation period and many who have it never show symptoms.

When Prime Minister Conte announced last night that the entire country, 60 million people, would go on lock down, the line that struck me most was “there is no more time.” Because to be clear, this national lock down, is a hail mary. What he means is that if the numbers of contagion do not start to go down, the system, Italy, will collapse.

Why? Today the ICUs in Lombardy are at capacity – more than capacity. They have begun to put ICU units in the hallways. If the numbers do not go down, the growth rate of contagion tells us that there will be thousands of people who in a matter of a week? two weeks? who will need care. What will happen when there are 100, or a 1000 people who need the hospital and only a few ICU places left?

On Monday a doctor wrote in the paper that they have begun to have to decide who lives and who dies when the patients show up in the emergency room, like what is done in war. This will only get worse.

There are a finite number of drs, nurses, medical staff and they are getting the virus. They have also been working non-stop, non-stop for days and days. What happens when the drs, nurses and medical staff are simply not able to care for the patients, when they are not there?

And finally for those who say that this is just something that happens to old people, starting yesterday the hospitals are reporting that younger and younger patients – 40, 45, 18, are coming in for treatment.

You have a chance to make a difference and stop the spread in your country. Push for the entire office to work at home today, cancel birthday parties, and other gatherings, stay home as much as you can. If you have a fever, any fever, stay home. Push for school closures, now. Anything you can do to stop the spread, because it is spreading in your communities – there is a two week incubation period – and if you do these things now you can buy your medical system time.

And for those who say it is not possible to close the schools, and do all these other things, locking down Italy was beyond anyone’s imagination a week ago.

~Christina Higgins

Any pics of Christina?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Got the notice - everyone in my office working from home tomorrow until further notified.

Thanks DR and LS...no masks here though...hopefully can find one by the time my appointment is due.

Last edited:

Marek

Banned

~Christina Higgins

Oh interesting.

Any comments from our resident libtardtarian?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Looks like America's heading for a financial meltdown. Yeesh.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Probably also worth noting that just cause a hospital has a specific number of ICU beds, that doesn't mean they can all be dedicated to corona patients. Our hospital hovers between 950 to 1150 admitted patients, that's counting the ER. That's full capacity, and we hit it almost every single day without coronavirus. So you have to factor in other patients. Heart attacks, stroke, OD's, Traumas, Respiratory failure, Appendicitis, etc...

So really a hospital with 100 ICU beds could be full with other ill patients, and even on top of that some floors are specific. Like Surgical Trauma ICU, Neuro ICU, etc.. So really theres like 1 floor (50 beds) in a 1150 bed hospital.

Those nurses and doctors on those other floors like Gen med, and non telemetry floors don't know how to take care of critical patients. A lot of them freak if someone is critical.

So I don't know where they would find medical staff to even care for those people well.

Also, there's no where near enough respiratory therapists.

In our hospital there is one RT for the entire 100 bed ED, and they help on other floors. I've seen them overworked and pissed when we get 2 respiratory failure patient's at once, cause there's not enough of them to send someone down to help them.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Anyone else have a job that won’t stop regardless of virus concerns?

Me. While not as serious as yours, I work on site for a customer in the medical field, and pretty much if they stay open then I have to work. The only way I'll be able to take a break is if I actually get sick myself, and working from home is not an option.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Not a ton to add...all I can really talk about is what I know to be true. Everything else is speculation.

Here in Central Illinois we now have out first confirmed case...so we'll see how this goes.

Illinois Gov came out yesterday and forced all bars/restaurants to close off all mass areas through the end of March. Drive through and curb side is still ok, no eat in.

Locally...still the typical silly panic buying, as of yesterday, milk now seems to be the next panic-item. Like TP, makes little to no sense. I wonder what is next, my guess will be meds like ibuprofen. I'm kinda surprised there aren't people panic buying gas.

Either way, everything has a weird "feel" to it. People are weird'd out, you can tell. Driving into work this morning, traffic was easily 50% of what it typically is, so it is obvious many are staying home.

Personal work? Like I said before, I'm currently in my companies "senior living" division...and that's grinding to a halt. It's the one thing I can completely agree with. With the mortality rate that this carries with seniors, people should limit nursing home visits to the bare minimum or emergency issue only.

As for my wife, she's at work but the Ill dental assoc is recommending dentist offices shut down save emergency cases, so her going to work may be short lived.

Strange times, fellas, strange times indeed.

lithy

20 Year Member
And you bred, you.

:oh_no:

Twice!

Seriously though, even if every word of that is true, and I have no real reason to dispute it, who the fuck is Christina Higgins and why should I care what she has to say any more so that Jim Schmuck from Harlan, KY that is still thinking this is a conspiracy to impeach Trump again.

This sort of info via garbage anecdote is how bullshit lies start on any discussion.

Repost data if you want to make an impact. Engage in discussions, teach when necessary.

Repost facebook memes if you want to basically virtue signal your way through a global pandemic.