Primal Rage PCB repair help

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Hello all. I just wanted to reach out to the forum for some help on maybe repairing a Primal Rage PCB I have had for a while. It's colors are all messed up when I run it (nothing jumbled up just way too read and oversaturated to be unplayable). I would have messed around with it more over the years but I have few cabs that I bother to wire up for -5v to run it for easy testing. Any suggestions on where to start? I hate doing full recaps when not necessarily. Hell if someone offered to possibly repair it I would probably be interested as well. Just don't have the huge amount of time to dump into that repair. I will try and get the time to get pictures to add If I can this weekend.

Thanks as always.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Hello all. I just wanted to reach out to the forum for some help on maybe repairing a Primal Rage PCB I have had for a while. It's colors are all messed up when I run it (nothing jumbled up just way too read and oversaturated to be unplayable). I would have messed around with it more over the years but I have few cabs that I bother to wire up for -5v to run it for easy testing. Any suggestions on where to start? I hate doing full recaps when not necessarily. Hell if someone offered to possibly repair it I would probably be interested as well. Just don't have the huge amount of time to dump into that repair. I will try and get the time to get pictures to add If I can this weekend.

Thanks as always.
Check the caps around the video area. Sounds like maybe you have level issues on the red line.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I will try replacing a few around there. Thanks for the starting place.
I’m not familiar with the board as I really don’t collect Atari stuff but when one video color gets too intense / too dull I always start checking caps as more often than not you’ll find a voltage / signal not in line with what’s expected

Considering you have image but not the correct color level it points at, at least tentatively, to the chip generating image date to be functioning correctly.

Could also be some iffy ram but start with caps. Easier to start there and see