Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
So, I log in and out of the forum when I use a PC, but leave myself permanently logged in on my Nintendo 2DS' (shitty) internet browser (the forum works on there, but it is S-L-O-W). Maybe this is a stupid question, but, how is it possible that I can be both logged in and not logged in at the same time like that (the same is true for other sites I belong to as well)? Is it because they're different browsers? Just curious; I don't understand how the technology works.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
So, I log in and out of the forum when I use a PC, but leave myself permanently logged in on my Nintendo 2DS' (shitty) internet browser (the forum works on there, but it is S-L-O-W). Maybe this is a stupid question, but, how is it possible that I can be both logged in and not logged in at the same time like that (the same is true for other sites I belong to as well)? Is it because they're different browsers? Just curious; I don't understand how the technology works.

Magic?

xROTx

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i have no educated answer but i'm guessing (if i understand the question properly) : if you are logged into one device, and then you log in with another advice, the website/system probably marks the old login as expired (or something) until its refreshed or timed in again. So this would allow you to be logged on in the 2nd device, and then when you sign off the 2nd device, it shows you as offline due to the first device being on standby until its activated again??

that is just a theory and i'm not even sure i understood the question but:-J:-J:-J:-J

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Cookies.

Spoiler:
Not kidding with that, browser cookies are used for storing user login sessions.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Every complete login creates a unique session ID which gets temporarily stored in cookies and/or "session space", that's why you can use different browsers on different platforms at the same time. Every session gets treated individually.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Every complete login creates a unique session ID which gets temporarily stored in cookies and/or "session space", that's why you can use different browsers on different platforms at the same time. Every session gets treated individually.

I prefer the Magic scenario... hence.. I am ignoring this post...

...ABRACADABRA!

xROTx

@M

20 Year Member
Thanks for the explanations, Tak & Tech&Music! For whatever reason, I always believed that any kind of online account could only be open/active at one location at a time.

So, if I'm understanding things correctly now, I could hypothetically PM every active member my password, and then they could all log-in and post as me, more-or-less simultaneously, regardless of where they're located or what kind of device they're on?

P.S. I know you're simple, but do not actually do that with your password, SImple Troll.

P.P.S. I also prefer Rot's magical explanation.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
There might be a limit to the amount of session IDs one user can use at a single time, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Even if not, it's gonna get noticeable when one user is driving a lot of traffic to the site from different IPs at the same time.

@M

20 Year Member
I agree that it would make sense to have some kind of maximum limit on session IDs. I'm just too lazy to tap my username (even though it's only one character) and password in every time on the 2DS' touch screen which is why I leave NG.com logged in on that device.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
So, if I'm understanding things correctly now, I could hypothetically PM every active member my password, and then they could all log-in and post as me, more-or-less simultaneously, regardless of where they're located or what kind of device they're on?

Why don't you try it and see where it takes you? :smirk:

@M

20 Year Member
Very bad places and perma-banned probably!