Projected Traffic Overage charges

JRock917

, ,
I would have suggested some kind of annuam membership dues, but since donations are out of the question, I guess that doesnt fly. Well, suppose I can suggest buying neo items from this site to help boost profits or cut down overhead; speaking from personal experience, I dont think anyone will be dissapointed with what they get.

Shawn

snkusa.com
Dear Customer:

Our records indicate that your account is projected to exceed the traffic
allowance for the plan you are on with Hostway. Please see below for
information on this traffic overage. For more details, you can monitor
your traffic usage on a daily basis in SiteControl at
https://sitecontrol.hostway.com

Customer ID.................: shawn@neo-geo.com
Domain Name.................: neo-geo.com
Period Covering.............: 2000-10-1 to 2000-10-14

Plan Type...................: Platinum Plan
Allowed Traffic.............: 8000 MB
Projected Monthly Traffic...: 15294 MB

Projected Traffic Overage charges.....: $364

*Current rate for traffic overage: $5/100 MB

Shawn

snkusa.com
People are downloading 500 to 600 MB per day from neo-geo.com now. No way can I stay with Hostway any longer. No room for growth, and the overage charge is tremendous. I will keep everyone informed of the changes. I will do my best to prevent any downtime and provide fast download speed.

JRock917

, ,
MAN, now they want more than double what they were originally asking! Yeah Robi, youre right, this place got really big really fast. Hell, its about the site I have ever seen, especially for one so dedicated to the neo geo.

Shawn

snkusa.com
The search for a better hosting service is over. I have decided to go with www.webhosting.com

For $40 per month we will experience fast downloads, 99.9% uptime, and unlimited hits and data transfer.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This is great news, I'm glad you don't have to shut the site down now. Thanks for keeping the REAL Neo Geo fans alive. Thanks Shawn

Robi15

20 Year Member
e.gif

Good. I can't understand how this "Hostway's" service cost's so much?
I mean 300 US in a month compared to 40 US...

Shawn

snkusa.com
Back to the traffic problem again! I was on the phone with webhosting.com, in the process of transferring my site, when I mentioned that the whole reason I was leaving hostway was because of the darn bandwidth problem. I told them I needed at least 20GB per month and that I was happy to find a service that provides unlimited bandwidth. Then he said the limit was 10GB per month! I argued that webhosting.com advertises unlimited bandwidth, and then he explained that most clients don’t go over 10GB, so they just say unlimited.

Talk about false advertising. Then I asked if this was an industry problem, where services offer unlimited bandwidth when they actually have a limit set. He replied saying that I need to go with dedicated hosting, because virtual hosting is shared with other hosted sites on the same servers. So how much is dedicating hosting? It starts at $400 per month…

Until I find a service that offers 20GB of bandwidth per month or more, I’m just going to stay with hostway and pay out the ass. I upgraded to the Platinum Plus plan, which provides 500MB of storage and 12GB of bandwidth. The fee is $100 per month, but I anticipate paying hundreds. They will charge me $20 for each GB downloaded over the 12GB limit. Not only that, they will shut down the site once I break 20GB before the month is up. I may eventually go with dedicated hosting.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
I'm using FlySaturn for my web hosting. I currently have only 500MB of web page storage, however, my traffic is unlimited. I'm not sure just how much actual content is on Neo-Geo.com, however, if it's not 500MB then FlySaturn may be for you. If you did have over 500MB, it's probably due to posts on the forum so just archive a lot of the old topics and keep them as the "holy scriptures of Neo Geo" in one of those online storage sites.

They can have you up and going within a couple of hours... you can check out theri web page at http://www.flysaturn.com.

Hope this information is helpful to you in any fashion.
smile.gif

"There is no judgement once you enter these doors. No judgement, no right from wrong... just the higher state of your consciousness." - Deep Dish: Renaissance Ibiza

[This message has been edited by VinylBoy (edited October 20, 2000).]

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
DAMN!
I just checked out FlySaturn's web page... THEY CHANGED THEIR POLICY! Now, they only offer 10GB traffic!
frown.gif

I'm sorry about that, Shawn.
frown.gif

Shawn

snkusa.com
That’s what I’m talking about! It’s like an industry wide conspiracy. If the hosting service offers unlimited bandwidth, somewhere in the fine print the limit is really around 10 GB. Thanks for checking, I know you had the best intentions.

Shawn

snkusa.com
I decided to stay with hostway for hosting service. I pay an average of $150+ per month for hosting. This past week, neo-geo.com experienced the greatest amount of downloads and traffic to date. The best plan with hostway provides 12 GB of bandwidth, which is what I use. I pay $20 extra for each GB over 12. As of today, we are at 9.5 GB with 17 days left. http://www.neo-geo.com/webstats/weekly/1.html

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Know anyone at a local University that is wired for broadband? That is what I am doing for my website set-up, Shawn. I have an extra motherboard, and now I have an excuse to buy a new processor and put my "old" 800 mhz into the host machine. RAM is dirt cheap right now, so I can get 512 for a pittance. Since the motherboard is a RAID array, I can do data-striping across four hard-drives (25% written/read for each drive simultaneously, so it is 1/4 access time).

Anyway, once I finish the new machine, I have a friend that lives on campus year-round in student apartments, and all campus is wired for T1. I am just going to stick the machine in their place and boom, unlimited bandwith, and no charge (depending on your friends, you may have to bribe them to let you put the host machine in their place, but it is not anywhere near as expensive as dedicated hosting).

-BioMotor_Unitron

[This message has been edited by BioMotor_Unitron (edited January 14, 2001).]