PS2 mod work

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Any you guys know who does work on ps2's? I want to get a region mod chip, full recap & maybe have a new laser installed. I have not got a system yet because I want to make sure I can get the work done before I go buy everything. Found a couple people who do mod chips on Etsy but they don't do recaps or lasers. I had rather send to one person to do everything but might half to send to someone else for the other stuff.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The idea that every device needs cap replacement as preventative maintenance is just internet group think. If it isn’t a known plague (90s Macs, Turbo Express, etc) and they visually look fine and the thing works…then it ain’t broke so don’t break it. I have stuff from the early 70s running perfectly on stock capacitors.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I don't know where I sit on this issue. Every time you mess with soldering you're stressing the tracks on a PCB for no reason and the caps on some devices are simply quality and durable, and yet SMDs are some tricky bastards because they hide electrolytic fluid leaks until the damage is extensive. Truth is probably in the middle but PS2s are so plentiful I wouldn't bother with a recap.

Change the CMOS battery though if you find a tech guy. My PS2 works like new except for the tray motor and the damn dead coin battery not saving the time, but Fat PS2s are a bitch to mess with without ruining anything because of all the cheapo flat cables around everything.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I don't know, you tell me lol
I was just asking since the system is 20 + years old and it will be apart for the mod chip. I had no idea they were such a bitch to mess with. When I get one I'll just do the mod chip and let it be and run it and hopefully it will be fine. Thanks for the info and about the fat model, I'll look around for a slim.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Installing a mod chip in a PS2 seems so antiquated. Just use Mechapwn to flash the system and it will be region free and play backups.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Re: recapping, since I do own old macs, I tend to do it a fair amount, but for me the only things I really try to do preventatively are power supplies and sometimes CRT chassis.

When I get a new computer if it's over 20-30 years old, it gets a brand new PSU if possible, recapped PSU if not. Sega Blast city and Sun PSU's are coming due. Other stuff, if it works, I'll leave it.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Mechapwn didnt even register here because I think last time I looked into it my PS2 wasn't compatible. Even I'm going to do it now lol (if it doesn't break my FreeHDBoot install at least).

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Mechapwn didnt even register here because I think last time I looked into it my PS2 wasn't compatible. Even I'm going to do it now lol (if it doesn't break my FreeHDBoot install at least).
I think dude who developed it just updated it on GitHub too