PS2 softmod question

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I cam across a free PS2 and I think I want to soft mod it, but only to play imports. Does anyone know if I can do so? For example if I get Free Mcboot? This system is the Fat model and its a SCPH 30001. Thanks!

PinkSweets

King's Dry Cleaner
Free McBoot will only play burned games. You mentioned that you'd like to play imports: if they are legitimate copies. you would have to create backups of those discs.

The only way to play NTSC-J games on a NTSC-U PS2 is to install a modchip.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yeah, pretty sure PS is right. Maybe a Fliptop mod would work though...

If you need a Mboot memory card, I have one I don't need. LMK.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
Free McBoot will only play burned games. You mentioned that you'd like to play imports: if they are legitimate copies. you would have to create backups of those discs.

The only way to play NTSC-J games on a NTSC-U PS2 is to install a modchip.

I use free mcboot to launch a HD loader, which I can copy legit US games to my HD with, might that work with imports?

PinkSweets

King's Dry Cleaner
I use free mcboot to launch a HD loader, which I can copy legit US games to my HD with, might that work with imports?
No. The console will still only recognize US games, even on HD Loader. It won't even recognize burned discs either; only ESR will.

Edit: I forgot to mention above; you can use Swap Magic, of course. Since you have a fat PS2, you would have to use the slide card method.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
flip top with a swap magic disc will cover burnt and import titles.

You don't need the slide card method with swap magic, just mod with a flip top. It's how my Ps2 was and it worked like a charm

PinkSweets

King's Dry Cleaner
flip top with a swap magic disc will cover burnt and import titles.

You don't need the slide card method with swap magic, just mod with a flip top. It's how my Ps2 was and it worked like a charm
If you want to buy a case mod for a fat PS2.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The only thing you can't really do with FMCB is load a legit import disc. An ESR-patched copy or HDL rip of any disc from any region will play on a FMCB PS2.

PinkSweets

King's Dry Cleaner
Put your dumbass cap on.

Dumbass cap? Have you taken yours off yet?

If you read the posts, I was talking about legit games. You can't put an NTSC-J game into a US PS2 and rip it. You have to use a program to dump iso's onto the HDD. Not once did I say that you can't play NTSC-J games on HD Loader. I said burned or legit discs.

Don't cut and quote irrelevant comments to prove a point if you haven't computed the rest of the information efficiently.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
You can't put an NTSC-J game into a US PS2 and rip it. You have to use a program to dump iso's onto the HDD. Not once did I say that you can't play NTSC-J games on HD Loader. I said burned or legit discs.

As I clarified in PM with PinkSweets, you can rip import disks with HDL and THEN play them. SOME PS2s have issues doing that, so what you can do is install HD_Dumpy and rip them using a PC. I'm using a 39001 and I've only ever had qualms with one title (FFX International)

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
As I clarified in PM with PinkSweets, you can rip import disks with HDL and THEN play them. SOME PS2s have issues doing that, so what you can do is install HD_Dumpy and rip them using a PC. I'm using a 39001 and I've only ever had qualms with one title (FFX International)

Well I'm mostly looking to play fighting games, racing games, arcade games, and maybe a few survival horror games. So heres to hoping. I'm gonna give this a try! Thanks for the info everyone! Once I get everything to do this, I'll let you know the out come!