Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
i ask for several reasons

1) almost none serious exclusive titles

2) got to pay separately for internet

3) not the same modding posibilities compared to the pc

4) no more downward compatibilty

what do you think?

i got a ps4 and i am quite dissapointed.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
At least MS consoles have PC-compatible OS's/subsystems/parts in them since day one, not sure about the Sony consoles but I guess it's more or less the same there, give or take the occasional custom stuff.

That's one of the reasons why there are not as many system-exclusive titles anymore as there used to be because in order to make up for the relatively high cost of development of today, companies mostly release their games cross-platform (including PCs) to get more money. The power of modern CPUs and GPUs makes it possible to use high-level languages (like C++) which leads to less troubles porting a game from one platform to another. Of course this results in certain system-exclusive features not getting used as often as they could.

However, the modding aspect is a non-issue for most console buyers because it would run contrary to the all-in-one-box aspect of those machines. Dev'ers have to cope with what's there, and from a customer perspective, this is a clear advantage because it saves you the hassle of upgrading and fucking around with drivers and whatnot. In other words, consoles are easier to use than PCs in most cases and offer at least basic PC-ish functions (surfing, playing online, communication), that's why many people who want to play video games go the console route. Buying a console also is cheaper than building a powerful gaming computer.

Personally I won't buy a PS4 or Xbone, most of the current games bore me to tears and I see no reason to shell out for yet another round of re-releases of old stuff. I've done that on the 360 to a limited extend and I'm through with it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The XBox has allays been "almost a PC", XB1 was a Pentium III proc, the 360 was dual Power PC procs and I'm not sure what the current model is.

The Playstation has always been a different beast. The PS2 used a co-designed Toshiba chipset. The PS3 used a co-designed Toshiba/IBM chipset. Looks like they teamed with AMD for the PS4.

That was the literal answer to you question...now the other part.

1. Companies want to make cross platform games...more users = more $$. Exclusive title are teh fucking ghey.
2. Welcome to the new age of "pay to play"...enjoy it...eat it up. Yummo.
3. Would you want to dump a fuck-ton of $$ R&D'ing a console to only have some goofball mod it? Second, if you did that, the guarantee all games would work would go right out the window.
4. They don't give a fuck if you can play old games. They will gladly make the available for download in the near future...for a small fee...

We're only 1.5 years into the life of the PS4...it hasn't even hit its stride yet. It takes time for things to get rolling. I'd expect that by Q1, 2016 you'll start really seeing some games pushing the system. This is the main reason why I do not buy launch consoles anymore. I normally wait 2 years. The price comes down, they work the kinks out and more game become available. I picked up my PS3 in 2008, I'll probably get a PS4 some time in '16.

I think this is a terrible thread.

Yea. But I'm kind of bored so, I figured "what the fuck, I'll type something up."

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
so the buying reason for future console is?

Force of habit.

smokehouse said:
Exclusive title are teh fucking ghey.

Exclusive titles are teh fucking cool, at least they were when I still was into buying consoles. What's the point of having different consoles if all games look and play more or less the same on all platforms?

This CoD level-it-all-to-some-dorky-standards syndrome will be the ruin of the industry, that's my prediction.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
so the buying reason for future console is?

My reason? I don't want to fuck with a PC...compatibility issues, upgrade issues, OS issues...not a fan. Much before the PS3/360 era, it meant stable titles that would work on the console you had. On top of that, pre PS3/360 consoles were really pretty rock solid (give or take)...they would just work right out of the box. Lastly, price. Even with a console at $400, you're not building a quality gaming PC for that little $$. Discounted consoles at $300 or less drives the nail even further in the coffin.

Now? Not so much. My PS3 was buggy as hell and the constant updates and downloads got old real quick. I am still not 100% sure that I'll even get another console, truth be told.

Force of habit.

Exclusive titles are teh fucking cool, at least they were when I still was into buying consoles. What's the point of having different consoles if all games look and play more or less the same on all platforms?

I don't appreciate being strong-armed into buying every console to make sure 100% I can play every game I want to play.

I look at it this way. When HD DVD and Blu Ray were on the scene, you had to buy both to be guaranteed you'd get every title. This was a bad thing. Once Blu Ray got the whole deal...HD DVD threw in the towel.

If I were a game maker, I would never want to limit the # of my potential buyers by making a game for one console...no way.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
They're not PCs. The closest they ever got is with the current gen PS4 and Xbone.

Xbox Hueg was kind of a PC, being it had a flavor of Coppermine Pentium 3, but its differences are significant enough that it STILL can't be emulated.
Playstation 2 uses a RISC processor based on the MIPS instruction set.

Xbox360 and PS3 both used variants of the IBM PowerPC processor (Xenon and Cell). Don't let the name fool you, this is NOT a standard IBM/PC Compatible processor. PowerPC is what Macintosh computers used 2006 and prior, so they were closer to Macs.

Your standard PC uses x86 architecture.
PS4 and Xbone both use a modified version of the x86 instruction set.
Xbone is running a proprietary Windows 8 based OS.
PS4 is using a modified version of the FreeBSD OS.

Also, PS4 and Xbone have plenty of non-PC exclusives.
I've been enjoying Bloodborne and Final Fantasy Type Zero.

Also, while I may not like exclusives on principle, they keep the competition going strong between companies. Without them, a monopoly would happen pretty quickly and things would get bad real quickly.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yes, They are both AMD APU's. There's no longer funny cell Cores or PPC's. It's the standard x64 architecture found in home PC's. Steam Boxes are pretty much the same thing, APU with dedicated hardware.

The benefit to consoles is a standardized platform for developers.

They seem ripe for hacking to pieces or building an XBone/PS4 compatible PC. Security lockouts seem to be the main barrier.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Both machines are running 8 core AMD Jaguar APUs, with 8 GB RAM. The difference is in the GPU part of the APU, which I can't remember the numbers, but each has it's trade-offs. What I do remember is my buddy who headed up the chip design at AMD saying that Microsoft ordered their chips quite a bit earlier than Sony, which played a part in the higher price of the Bone at launch. So yes, the machines are just weaker pc's, but that's common knowledge. The attraction comes from the plug and play aspect of a console vs. a pc as Smoke said. The average 'gamer' either doesn't have the know-how or the inclination to mess with pc gaming and doesn't mind sacrificing shaders, textures, and frame rate (unlike Stuart) for an easy and accessible experience. Don't forget that price is also a big factor, as a decent gaming rig will tend to run between $1100-1300 (CAD, fuck if I know how much cheaper parts are in USD), vs. the 400-ish that the p4 and Bone cost.

As the other guys mentioned, exclusives don't make financial sense in the current development landscape, although there will always be those companies who either can't resist a huge payday up front or need it, like Capcom with the upcoming SFV PS4 exclusive, and Square Enix with the Tomb Raider XB1 exclusive. You'll have to be patient for the first/second party/in-house games.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Both machines are running 8 core AMD Jaguar APUs, with 8 GB RAM. The difference is in the GPU part of the APU, which I can't remember the numbers, but each has it's trade-offs. What I do remember is my buddy who headed up the chip design at AMD saying that Microsoft ordered their chips quite a bit earlier than Sony, which played a part in the higher price of the Bone at launch. So yes, the machines are just weaker pc's, but that's common knowledge. The attraction comes from the plug and play aspect of a console vs. a pc as Smoke said. The average 'gamer' either doesn't have the know-how or the inclination to mess with pc gaming and doesn't mind sacrificing shaders, textures, and frame rate (unlike Stuart) for an easy and accessible experience. Don't forget that price is also a big factor, as a decent gaming rig will tend to run between $1100-1300 (CAD, fuck if I know how much cheaper parts are in USD), vs. the 400-ish that the p4 and Bone cost.

As the other guys mentioned, exclusives don't make financial sense in the current development landscape, although there will always be those companies who either can't resist a huge payday up front or need it, like Capcom with the upcoming SFV PS4 exclusive, and Square Enix with the Tomb Raider XB1 exclusive. You'll have to be patient for the first/second party/in-house games.

I used to PC game...and once the heavy 3D titles started coming out in the late 90's...it not only became a money pit, it was a labor of love. Being a PC gamer means having to drop a constant stream of $$ year after year to keep your rig at top running level. Like you said, you can start cutting quality of the graphics, but that always bothered me. It may have been a personal thing, but making the game look worse so it wouldn't gum up bothered me big time. More often than not, I would just go upgrade the thing...

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Specs are just about the last thing I am interested in - and the Wii U is a good example of why...

But having said that, I enjoy all 3 consoles this generation. True, there may not be a ton of exclusives, but I realize now that I don't have the time to get through them all anyway. In my opinion, every system has its own (exclusive) highlights and enough reasons to justify purchasing them right now.

Regardless of what everyone else says, I am enjoying playing through the Order 1886, and will be moving on to Bloodborne after that. And on the Xbone, Sunset Overdrive and Killer Instinct have already made it a worthy purchase for me. Once I had my fill with those, will get Ori and the Blind Forest. The games will come, and though they may be few and far between, that pace actually suits me well.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Being a PC gamer means having to drop a constant stream of $$ year after year to keep your rig at top running level.

That's not my experience. I still have my old 486 I used to game with in the early 90s, and I remember every upgrade step I did to arrive where I am, and it wasn't much worst than jumping into the next console generation, price wise.

The worst jumps were the jump from Super Socket 7 to a Thunderbird AMD, the jump from Thunderbird to AMD64, and my most recent jump from AMD Phenom to Core i5.

My CPU Progression was:
486DX 33mhz > 486 DX4 100mhz > AMD K6 > AMD K6-III > AMD 64 > AMD Phenom x2 > Intel Core i5

My Video Card progression was:
Tseng ET4000 > S3 ViRGE > 3DFX Voodoo 3 4000 AGP > Radeon 9700 Pro > Radeon 4870 > Radeon 6970

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
He did say top running level. There are 4 generations of i5, and your GPU is 2 generations old. Not shitting on what you're saying, just offering perspective.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
That's not my experience. I still have my old 486 I used to game with in the early 90s, and I remember every upgrade step I did to arrive where I am, and it wasn't much worst than jumping into the next console generation, price wise.

The worst jumps were the jump from Super Socket 7 to a Thunderbird AMD, the jump from Thunderbird to AMD64, and my most recent jump from AMD Phenom to Core i5.

My CPU Progression was:
486DX 33mhz > 486 DX4 100mhz > AMD K6 > AMD K6-III > AMD 64 > AMD Phenom x2 > Intel Core i5

My Video Card progression was:
Tseng ET4000 > S3 ViRGE > 3DFX Voodoo 3 4000 AGP > Radeon 9700 Pro > Radeon 4870 > Radeon 6970

your GPU is 4 years old.

edit: you conveniently forget about RAM and HDD space also

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
RAM and HDD are minor costs, except in the old days of the 486.

I DO remember when I first played FF7 on the PC, I think it needed 32MB of RAM, and I had 16MB.

It still played fine up until the little town under Junon, where the animated smoke background made it slow down to sub-1 FPS at times.

I remember it cost me $50 to get an additional 16MB of RAM from CompUSA.

Also, while my video card is 4 years old, it STILL handles everything at maximum in 1080p@60hz

I think the only game that gives it trouble is Ground Zeroes and GTAV now.

So, yeah, it's time for an upgrade this year.

My Phenom carried me a long time. My i5 is a 4670k, haswell I believe.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Also, while my video card is 4 years old, it STILL handles everything at maximum in 1080p@60hz

I find this hard to believe maintaining 60FPS or in many cases 30FPS.

Even a game from 2013 like ARMA 3 would choke that card.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master

no it doesn't. i used to have that card. Nothing at all runs at max settings at 1080@60 on anything released over the last 18 months.