PSO 2 Open Beta starts tonight

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Didn't know they were up to a public open BETA. Is it coming to the US, or do you have to work around playing on a Japanese server? I really want to see more video of the Forces. I watched the first few videos that they put up and I couldn't care less. It just looked like Monster Hunter bullshit with the emo anime kids with gigantic fucking weapons beating up dragons, woopty shit. Let me be a pussy emo anime kid throwing out magic spells damn it! If the forces look good and the game doesn't require a monthly fee then I'll check it out.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Didn't know they were up to a public open BETA. Is it coming to the US, or do you have to work around playing on a Japanese server? I really want to see more video of the Forces. I watched the first few videos that they put up and I couldn't care less. It just looked like Monster Hunter bullshit with the emo anime kids with gigantic fucking weapons beating up dragons, woopty shit. Let me be a pussy emo anime kid throwing out magic spells damn it! If the forces look good and the game doesn't require a monthly fee then I'll check it out.

No monthly fee unless you want a player shop or a bigger room or fancy clothes. Forces play like.. well.. forces. FOcast is rather humerous too. MAGIC GUNDAM GO

also, you will spend at least 30min in the creator.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Awesome. Please update this thread with your impressions of the game. I spent a LONG time on PSU and am really looking forward to the PSVita version of this.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Awesome. Please update this thread with your impressions of the game. I spent a LONG time on PSU and am really looking forward to the PSVita version of this.

The SECOND this is released on Vita, I'll own both.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I really want to see more video of the Forces.

Combat is alot smoother and slightly more fast paced, as well as it took elements from both PSO and PSU. You still have a palette but the game throwsback to 3 attacks before a pause. I didn't even KNOW about spellcharging until last night which helps greatly. Personally, fans of both games will love this because each title built upon one another to make this awesome ass game.

Last edited:

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I actually have some qualms with this that's kinda a turn-off. The game is free and I expected some aspects to cost a monthly upkeep.. but some of these are redonkulous. Like this is next-level nickel and diming.

-Fee for player room. (expected) [recurring fee]
-Fee to be able to trade items (wtf) [recurring fee]
-Extra characters cost extra (expected actually) [recurring fee]
-Player shop costs [recurring fee]
-Costs to re-create a character.
-Scape Dolls FUCKING COST REAL MONEY (this makes me mad) ..the plus to this is everything is still mellow and low power and these aren't really needed... yet BUT for fans of GAME OVAH INSERT COIN this is for you :lolz:
-Mags cost money
-Additional skill trees and temp exp boosters cost money (these are actually cool, you can change into a force, but have two different force builds to play with)
-Extra vault storage [expected]

I actually wish/hope Sega just charges us a monthly fee (when/if it comes US) and just nickel and dimes us on smaller things like clothes :(

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
this is great news, I mean it's shitty news, but it's great that I will have all this extra time and money not going to waste. I never again want to play a grindy ass time sink online game... but this one was looking mighty tempting and phantasy star does hold a place in my heart.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
I made a Numan force and played up to level 3.

I have to say I'm impressed so far. The game plays a lot like PSO and PSU (after the big expansion) and in my first few hours of play I didn't run into any pay barriers.

I really hope Sega is smart about this and puts it on Steam or does some big marketing for it. I think with Diablo III out a lot of people will be wanting some more loot grinds, and PSO2 seems like it might cater to that audience a bit.

I've only completed 2 quests. I partied up with some random people and it seemed to work pretty well.

I was a big fan of Phantasy Star Universe. I can't wait to play more of this.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Crap, I signed on again and played for a few more hours. The game has an addictive quality. I noticed that while I was doing a run solo I could see other groups and other people playing the game. We could kind of work together too.

It feels a lot more like PSO than PSU. I'm playing with the 360 pad and it definitely feels designed for it.

Hopefully this will continue to be good.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
You don't really NEED any of the pay functions. You DON'T need a room, you DON'T have to horde items, you don't really NEED scapedolls if you play smart. Just annoying is all.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
this looks awesome

the payment implementation? not so much

straight monthly fee and i'd be there

this shit they have setup now is a huge deterrent for me

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
I've been playing this a lot. Played the closed beta too.

I went Hunter because I thought Force was pretty crappy in the closed beta. So far, I was right. I love synthesizing, I love upgrading, I love running errands even though every fucking RPG on Earth has this (Xillia Xenoblade Atelier etc), I love the fact that there's already a ton of planned content, I love how the developers are always updating the userbase with realistic things like "ok, we need to fix that, it's pretty broken", which is something I rarely ever see developers let public.

It's pretty much the best thing ever.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I've been playing this a lot. Played the closed beta too.

I went Hunter because I thought Force was pretty crappy in the closed beta. So far, I was right.

Force isn't remotely as bad as it was in closed, it can at least solo now. :lolz: What ship are you usually on?

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
I'm on Ship 5.

Grabbing enemies and dunking them is so much fun, Hunter was a great choice.

vandalpir8

New Challenger
10 Year Member
I actually have some qualms with this that's kinda a turn-off. The game is free and I expected some aspects to cost a monthly upkeep.. but some of these are redonkulous. Like this is next-level nickel and diming.

-Fee for player room. (expected) [recurring fee]
-Fee to be able to trade items (wtf) [recurring fee]
-Extra characters cost extra (expected actually) [recurring fee]
-Player shop costs [recurring fee]
-Costs to re-create a character.
-Scape Dolls FUCKING COST REAL MONEY (this makes me mad) ..the plus to this is everything is still mellow and low power and these aren't really needed... yet BUT for fans of GAME OVAH INSERT COIN this is for you :lolz:
-Mags cost money
-Additional skill trees and temp exp boosters cost money (these are actually cool, you can change into a force, but have two different force builds to play with)
-Extra vault storage [expected]

I actually wish/hope Sega just charges us a monthly fee (when/if it comes US) and just nickel and dimes us on smaller things like clothes :(

I've been reading everywhere about player shops costing a fee, but on the Open Beta I've opened one up, I won a ticket using some FUN points, that crap you get awarded daily.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
I've been reading everywhere about player shops costing a fee, but on the Open Beta I've opened one up, I won a ticket using some FUN points, that crap you get awarded daily.

The official site says you can't buy the in game currency and that features that are free now will cost money in the real version.

I'll probably be buying some extra player slots.

We should decide on an official neo-geo.com server location.

Last edited:

vandalpir8

New Challenger
10 Year Member
The official site says you can't buy the in game currency and that features that are free now will cost money in the real version.

I'll probably be buying some extra player slots.

We should decide on an official neo-geo.com server location.

so does that mean the non-recurring fee's we get now free we get to keep, as this content will carry to the final version? And how do I get additional character slots? I was pretty confused to that process.

I have a few friends on PSO2 and we all play on Ship 2

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
so does that mean the non-recurring fee's we get now free we get to keep, as this content will carry to the final version? And how do I get additional character slots? I was pretty confused to that process.

I have a few friends on PSO2 and we all play on Ship 2

Once this goes retail, you'll have to spend real money for certain things. If, for example, you currently decide to create a personal room and decorate it full of plants, all of that will become inaccessible in the retail version unless you decide to spend real money in order to access it again. It will remain, just inaccessible. Other things, like being able to resurrect instantly without the aid of others using Moon Atomizers, buying experience boosters, larger inventory, using the auction house to sell stuff and so on, will all cost real money.

All of this can be avoided, of course. Most of it is irrelevant and isn't terribly advantageous to the player. Many people will still be playing without using real money.

Last edited:

vandalpir8

New Challenger
10 Year Member
Sounds great, that's all I wanted to hear. I would be more than willing to spend money because it's money going to Sega but it seems most of the stuff for sale just doesn't interest me. I don't like spending money for any advantage that you can otherwise earn or out-play with skill.

Personally, I'd consider getting a vita if the price drops and I hear that PSO2 runs awesome on it. At least that way my money to Sega goes onto buying the physical copy.

vandalpir8

New Challenger
10 Year Member
Is this coming to the 360?

If it were that'd be amazing. I'm just hoping that it will be announced at TGS for 360. I mean it's kind of strange that the game natively supports a 360 pad, and there was a special 360 controller with PSO2 brandings on it. . .

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
The game definitely feels a lot better on a pad than the mouse and keyboard. I've got a wired 360 pad hooked up and the PC goes out to my TV.

It's great that it's free to play. I'll definitely buy more character slots and some mag stuff when it becomes available. Feel like I'm getting my money's worth after all the PSU sub money. I played that for years!

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
http://pso2.jp/players/update/20120704/

Holy crap. The game is coming out in full this Wednesday. That was a fast open beta. Looks like a new area (Tundra), some new items and other stuff and the cap is going up to 40.

So far I'm enjoying this game. It looks like the majority of people on pso-world and things are playing on Ship 2. I'm really kicking myself for making a character on Ship 1. I really don't want to reroll, but it may look like I have to.

I'm about 15 hours into the game. It's really good so far.