Punk Rock Fans, Get Your Asses In Here!

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Since we have multi page topics on heavy metal and '80s Retro Electro Music (which are 2 things I love), I figured we should have a Punk Rock thread. And don't bring that "this is punk, that is not punk" bullshit in here. What "punk" means to me might not be what it means to you.

So, what bands are you into? Which band got you into punk?

Me? I guess the first 2 punk bands I was into were The Misfits and Black Flag. I think I found them when I was in 7th grade (1991-1992). Everything spirals off those 2 acts for me.

Right now, Bad Religion is probably my favorite "punk" band. They're still making killer albums 30 years into their career.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Here we go.

Punk rock is the essence to me. I've been into punk rock for longer than I haven't. I love punk rock and I love the fact that I can say that. I don't dress it anymore, but I love it probably more than I ever did.

Got into the Misfits when I was 13 through skateboarding videos. That was it.

Edit: Word up to the no elitism policy in this thread. That's one thing that has absolutely no place in punk rock, and yet, is one of the most common attitudes in punk rock. I'm more than guilty of having this attitude when I was younger. I still sometimes find myself making stupid ass remarks, as probably a lot of people do. Let's try to keep this thread free of that shit.

I like a lot of different types of punk rock, but to me, punk rock is 1st and 2nd wave British punk rock. That's the real shit to me. I love Discharge. But, again, I like a lot of other stuff too. I also like the 2nd wave US punk rock, hardcore and straight edge hardcore a lot too. Oh, and I also like 90s New York punk rock, too. Leftover Crack is probably my favorite band of all time.

Here are some of my favorites:

I'm going to be spamming the shit outta this thread, just so you know.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
The only punk bands I still listen to are The Misfits ( w/ Danzig), The Dickies and The Adicts.

Most of the angry and fast shit is just too unintentionally silly to me these days.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im a huge fan of early birth of the punk movement stuff (late 70s-early 80s). i like all of the periods it went through, but its the early stuff that always sings to me. yeah i guess some of the videos i grabbed were a little new wavey, but they both happened at the same time and often by the same bands. i'll have to dig deeper for some harder stuff later.

scorponok

Not scorporock,
I listen to underground fast hardcore and grindcore (I love blast beats). I guess those are punk subgenres. The first punk bands I was into were The Clash and Ramones, I found them in the 80's. I like a lot of bands, I own discographies for about 50 bands. Here are some of my favorite bands:

Ajax

15 Year Member
Tango always bums me out hardcore, for some reason. Great tune though.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Oh yeah, early 80s LA punk rock is the jam too. I guess I'm mainly into BYO stuff. But, obviously a lot of great early 80s southern California (and northern, for that matter) punk rock.

Youth Brigade tops the list of my favorite LA bands.

Not LA, I guess, but I still remember smoking pot and listening to The Crew when I was 14. A bit ironic, I guess.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Nice. Any Adolescents fans here? This track is great.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
My friend in 8th grade said "hey you gotta check out this new album that just came out"...He popped in Punk in Drublic and it changed my life haha.

Some of my favorites are:

NOFX
The Vandals
Tilt
Ten Foot Pole
Lagwagon
Total Chaos
Screeching Weasel
Agent Orange

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
All the punk you'l ever really need

Greatest video ever?

Ajax

15 Year Member
Crazy how bands change. That TSOL song, while I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, is completely unrecognizable as TSOL if, like me, you had only heard their first stuff. Discharge went through the same thing.

Subhumans fans? UK or Canada? The quality of the Canadian Subhumans really fucked with my perception that nothing Canadian was worth a damn. Anyway, two Subhumans for the price of none:

Liking the Circle Jerks choices in here. This old punk rocker lady I used to work with at my last job once made a CD for me of an old Salt Lake City punk rock radio show she recorded in the late 80s. This was on the CD. I once posted this in another thread, so I apologize for the repeat, but here's mine:

What about punk rock from your respective hometowns? Of course, I wasn't around back then (1979), but from all accounts, the first punk rock band in Salt Lake City was The Boards. You can't fuck with The Boards:

In general, what about the beginnings of punk rock scenes in your hometowns?

Really loving this thread. I feel like I'm spamming it way too hardcore, but I just really love this stuff. :emb:

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Wino and The Obsessed grew up play doom metal during the punk/hardcore 80's boom in DC. Why most of their stuff is slower doom/sabbath sounding stuff. They occasionally threw in a faster song or two.

Spirit Caravan is a later band with wino, this track is a "cover" (not really sure how it's a cover, it's his song)

Ajax

15 Year Member
Anybody like A Global Threat?

I really like a lot of that 90s street punk rock. A lot of people look down their nose at it, but it's pure energy and attitude. It's not the most original stuff around, but as the song above says, it's from the heart.

scorponok

Not scorporock,
Anybody like A Global Threat?

I used to have their complete discography a while ago but sold it. I'm not really into that kind of music anymore. The Kids Will Revolt 7" was really good though.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I used to have their complete discography a while ago but sold it. I'm not really into that kind of music anymore. The Kids Will Revolt 7" was really good though.

Never heard that 7". I'll have to check it. I have all of their albums though.

I'm really hesitant to mention this... I'm an unabashed snob about it, and what with all that stuff about elitism earlier, but... Anybody like psychobilly? Maybe not unabashed, but there is just a shit load of horrible psychobilly. I guess I would say more shit than there is good stuff.

Not punk rock of course, but certainly an offshoot that developed into it's own thing.

scorponok

Not scorporock,
Never heard that 7". I'll have to check it. I have all of their albums though.

It was their first release, I think it was a lot better than everything that came after, it's very raw. You only have their full lengths? You should pick up all of their 7"s, I am pretty sure that none of the recordings on the 7"s are on their full lengths. These are all of the 7"s: The Kids Will Revolt, In The Red, Earache / Pass the Time (also available on CD), A Global Threat / The End split, A Global Threat / Broken split, and A Global Threat / Toxic Narcotic split. I am not sure why I still remember all of those. :)

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Man, I'm stoked that this tread has seen this much action already!

Last edited:

Heath

, cheyne stoking
GF's mum got me into Stiff Little Fingers.

One of my favourites from Clash

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Wino and The Obsessed grew up play doom metal during the punk/hardcore 80's boom in DC. Why most of their stuff is slower doom/sabbath sounding stuff. They occasionally threw in a faster song or two.

Spirit Caravan is a later band with wino, this track is a "cover" (not really sure how it's a cover, it's his song)

This punk cover is too fast for my blood: