Q&A with Michael Beard, OG SNK Voice Actor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I reached out to him a while back with some questions, but his recollection about SNK was really fuzzy.

He only remembers putting in two days work there to record all of his lines. Either he doesn't remember revisits, or SNK already had whatever they wanted him to say for games scripted out ahead of time. Likely the former as it wouldn't make sense to have dialogue for both Fatal Fury and Fatal Fury 2 ready to record on the same day. He wasn't aware that nerds like us still follow the Neo-Geo scene and were aware of his work so long ago.

Some conjecture here, but this kind of checks out. The round announcement in FF1, 2, and Special is the same, and Michael Max's voice (as well as some generic grunts and screams) from FF1 was reused for Axel Hawk in FF2/Special. I'm sure there are other shared VO commonalities between the early FF titles. So, in one setting, he could have provided all the VO work he needed to early on and SNK just reused his recordings and continued to give him credit?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
And this is a reminder to any and all of us how little this shit ever mattered at all.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Some conjecture here, but this kind of checks out. The round announcement in FF1, 2, and Special is the same, and Michael Max's voice (as well as some generic grunts and screams) from FF1 was reused for Axel Hawk in FF2/Special. I'm sure there are other shared VO commonalities between the early FF titles. So, in one setting, he could have provided all the VO work he needed to early on and SNK just reused his recordings and continued to give him credit?
Makes sense, but Beard also voiced Krauser in FF2. Not impossible, but it seems odd to me that they would have had Krauser's lines and moves finalized before FF1's development was completed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.