Question about GB/GBC/GBA cart batteries

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
So I'm thinking about unloading a lot of my GB/GBC/GBA collection and I realize now that most of these little fuckers have save batteries in them. I can't say I've spent much time playing them in years, so someone please school me on the following:

1. Is it safe to assume they are all pretty much dead at this point?
2. If not, how do I test them other than trying to save and seeing if the save holds?
3. Is it worth replacing the batteries prior to selling?

I've replaced a few before and am handy with an iron, but what price difference are we talking on fresh batteries vs. old ones when selling? If it's just a few bucks, I'm not going to be too bothered, or should I just order a bulk pack off ebay and go to town.

Thanks in advance for you opinions.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
You could always check the voltage with a multimeter. If it's still 3v, you should be good to go.

I doubt there's too much of a mark up on fresh battery vs old vs dead, but I'll let someone more knowledgeable chime in on that.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
There's only a few games on GBA that actually use a battery to save (Metroid Zero Mission and Castlevania Circle of the Moon come to mind). Some games have a battery but they don't use it to save, just to use the clock (Pokemon Emerald). As quickly as it is to test the battery, you can change it with a soldering iron, so it's worth a shot.

Edit: price wise, it may not be so much a difference rather than an incentive. Q casual collector not familiar with a soldering iron may be less inclined to purchase a dead battery GB game versus one that was recently changed.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I just replaced a battery in pokemon emerald. Easy Peasy. You can buy a pack of 12 on ebay for like $12 shipped.

Only dead battery I've found in any handeld.

I'm guessing that the clocks use more juice than the save systems.

My copy of Zelda 2 that I've had for 30+ years still has the saves I made on it back when I was in elementary school.
Same goes for Final Fantasy Legends II.

Last edited: