Question for DevilRedeemed and/or Mushiki

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Since you two are the only members I know who live in the same country, I was wondering about the internet connection quality in Buenos Aires.

I just installed cable and internet in my house on Friday and was surprised at the connections offered to me and it's price points.

Cable is fine, but after the promotional price offered, I was only able to install 600kb since the regular monthly rate is $70 pesos per month. A far cry from the 5mb I was used to in Canada at $50 a month.

Considering I'm not exactly located in a large city, especially by comparison, I was wondering about Buenos Aires and if you guys enjoy a better transmission rate related to price point?

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Cable in Argentina is very expensive, people will tell you that Cable is more stable, but those are lies -- I have ADSL and never had an issue really, while at the office we have Cable and it goes down every once in a while.

Down here, the main options are these:

Cable -- Fibertel
Download Speed: 1Mbit
Upload Speed: 256Kbit
- For about 130 Pesos a month... they have special deals going on every once in a while though -- they have some plans with higher Download Speed, but they are INSANELY expensive.

ADSL
-- Arnet/Speedy
Download Speed: 5Mbit
- For about 145 Pesos a month... they have special deals going on every once in a while as well.

In other words, ADSL is the best internet service you can get over here.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't know but I've had it with the extortion prices so since I live in central part of capital federal, I'mma gonna do a spot of freejacking. just have to pick up the right equipment.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Cable in Argentina is very expensive, people will tell you that Cable is more stable, but those are lies -- I have ADSL and never had an issue really, while at the office we have Cable and it goes down every once in a while.

Down here, the main options are these:

Cable -- Fibertel
Download Speed: 1Mbit
- For about 130 Pesos a month... they have special deals going on every once in a while though -- they have some plans with higher Download Speed, but they are INSANELY expensive.

ADSL
-- Arnet/Speedy
Download Speed: 5Mbit
- For about 145 Pesos a month... they have special deals going on every once in a while as well.

In other words, ADSL is the best internet service you can get over here.

Looks like prices are the same there as here but I never asked about ADSL and the speed offered based on the price sounds very good.

Yeah, here I use Flash and the offered 1mb at $107 monthly so it's cheaper even. I'm not sure if I can afford to pay double what I pay now to get 5mb but can I get on to XBOX live with the ADSL connection you use?

That might make me change my mind if I can.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Argentina94 said:
Looks like prices are the same there as here but I never asked about ADSL and the speed offered based on the price sounds very good.

Yeah, here I use Flash and the offered 1mb at $107 monthly so it's cheaper even. I'm not sure if I can afford to pay double what I pay now to get 5mb but can I get on to XBOX live with the ADSL connection you use?

That might make me change my mind if I can.

Xbox LIVE is unplayable here -- why? Because the upload speeds are terrible. Like I said, the only upload speed you can get here is 256Kbit.

I tried to play a couple of games on LIVE and they were serious lag-fests, games ran at about... 10 frames per second.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Xbox LIVE is unplayable here -- why? Because the upload speeds are terrible. Like I said, the only upload speed you can get here is 256Kbit.

I tried to play a couple of games on LIVE and they were serious lag-fests, games ran at about... 10 frames per second.

That settles it then.

Might as well stick with my current connection and deal with the longer download times I guess.

Thanks for the response.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't have a great connection but I used to play Gears of War over live and it was mostly lag free. I dunno..

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
I don't have a great connection but I used to play Gears of War over live and it was mostly lag free. I dunno..

Really? With a 256Kbit upstream?

Maybe LIVE on X360 is extremely optimized or something -- when I tried playing, it was on the original Xbox.

Neo Collector

Raiden's Valet
Although im not in argentina we share almost the same problems, a good connection here is almost inexistent, you cant contract a 5mb connection here with stable speed, the companies only guarantee 10% of the connection speed for all day long, that said i can only download at 200Kb almost the entire month even having a 4mb connection, im paying 25 dollars for it right now because i have a friend in the provider that changed my connection to 4mb and "forgot" to charge it in my monthly bill. :rolleyes:

One day i will have fiber optical connections here with 300mb or more, but thats a far dream right now.