Quick car stereo question

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Not certain if anyone here is familiar with the subject, but some digging around online didn't yield and specific help.

So new laws in Illinois now require the use of hands free phone usage in the car. This an opportune time to upgrade my current car stereo since it does not have bluetooth connectivity and driving a manual with a cell-phone has always borderlined on not smart.

I have a Kenwood head unit installed that does not have bluetooth. I can get an add on that would make the car bluetooth capable, but that seems excessive and instead I am looking to just change to a stereo unit with bluetooth capabilities.

I'm looking to get another kenwood unit with the hope that I could install the unit myself. I'm wondering if this is a difficult process considering I already have a similar unit installed. In addition would I need to invest in any other equipment (like a microphone).

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Not certain if anyone here is familiar with the subject, but some digging around online didn't yield and specific help.

So new laws in Illinois now require the use of hands free phone usage in the car. This an opportune time to upgrade my current car stereo since it does not have bluetooth connectivity and driving a manual with a cell-phone has always borderlined on not smart.

I have a Kenwood head unit installed that does not have bluetooth. I can get an add on that would make the car bluetooth capable, but that seems excessive and instead I am looking to just change to a stereo unit with bluetooth capabilities.

I'm looking to get another kenwood unit with the hope that I could install the unit myself. I'm wondering if this is a difficult process considering I already have a similar unit installed. In addition would I need to invest in any other equipment (like a microphone).

its easy. and if it takes bt, the calls will come through the speakers and there should be a mic in the head unit.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
its easy. and if it takes bt, the calls will come through the speakers and there should be a mic in the head unit.

If you buy a unit with built in Bluetooth, you will get everything you need right out of the box, and the install will be very similar, if not the same.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
when you're ready, this is the next step up:

77538_438634519528382_1963809920_o.jpg

corebass420

Crossed Swords Squire
That's slick. Do you watch meade916 or soundman on boobtube?

I've had my Kenwood DNX6180 for 3 years now and I love it. Its not as fast as a tablet but it does everything I need. Pandora, Garmin, 2 USB ports, hands free Bluetooth....

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
when you're ready, this is the next step up:

77538_438634519528382_1963809920_o.jpg

That's a sweet setup! Did you just wire up another 12v plug to run a charger behind the console?

To the OP - likey the hardest part of your upgrade will be to remove the stereo and not damage your interior panels. Depends on how old the car is I guess, I think newer cars are harder to mess with. Your wire harness will likey just work in the new deck!

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
That's a sweet setup! Did you just wire up another 12v plug to run a charger behind the console?

To the OP - likey the hardest part of your upgrade will be to remove the stereo and not damage your interior panels. Depends on how old the car is I guess, I think newer cars are harder to mess with. Your wire harness will likey just work in the new deck!

It's a 2010. The car didn't even come with a stereo (brand new car for 9k...go figure) and my dad got me one as a Christmas gift (also a Kenwood). Problem is the Best Buy employee misinformed him about the bluetooth capabilities. It can be hooked up to an additional module, but doesn't have bluetooth on its own. Looking up the module shows that it costs nearly the same as a new unit on Amazon, so I figured I would bypass any extra components and just get a new stereo and maybe sell off the old one or give it to a friend who can benefit from it.

I figured it would be a pretty easy swap because they are the same brand and very similar units, but I always like to ask before I delve into something that ends up being too deep.

Cylotron as cool as that looks that would drive me nuts. I'm too easily distracted as is. All I use my stereo for is to auxiliary hook-up my ipod and NPR.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
People still upgrade car stereo's?
Hrm. Who knew?.....

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Hrm. Who knew?.....

well to be fair op was wanted a true upgrade not really a "performance" upgrade
Then some vehicles specially older ones came with garbage like my truck so I updated it. Im not talking 12" kickers. just a head unit with the inputs you want and some basic speakers.
then there is my car that came with bose and as everyone knows that the best thing since sliced bread. so don't have to touch it.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
ipod

if you drive far enough to drain the power, consider getting one that will usb it to charge?

mine goes in the glove box on one that coemes out the back of the unit.

less cables out and about?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Hrm. Who knew?.....

Most carmakers still provide shitty stereos. My Infiniti has an "upgraded" Bose system that sounds terrible. The sub rattles the glass, even at low volumes, and FM sounds like AM. Unfortunately, many now make it difficult to swap them out by building the dash around them.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Most carmakers still provide shitty stereos. My Infiniti has an "upgraded" Bose system that sounds terrible. The sub rattles the glass, even at low volumes, and FM sounds like AM. Unfortunately, many now make it difficult to swap them out by building the dash around them.

Right! I was wondering if that was even a real question. I personally would think that anyone who has to drive a fair bit everyday and loves music would be on this within the first few weeks of buying the car. Premium stock systems are still stock...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Crazy. You can bet somebody will try to update his facebook page while driving with that setup.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
if you drive far enough to drain the power, consider getting one that will usb it to charge?

mine goes in the glove box on one that coemes out the back of the unit.

less cables out and about?
The classic has a long battery life, longer than any car ride I engage in.

I can always hook it up to the cigarette lighter port to charge it if need be.

I hook up the auxiliary to the stereo and not the usb because the USB interface is fucking painful to operate. Unless you have a big screen its one of the worst experiences you will ever have in operating technology.

Heck then it can be slow and clunky as hell. My dad's Subaru has a big screen which should make operating the ipod easy, but it is super slow and a drag to use. I want to focus on driving not hitting the down arrow a hundred times to get to a band that starts with MO instead of MA

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

exactly. It's an entire electronics overhaul to mod stereo's. Too much effort for little return.

if you just want to add Bluetooth, i would recommend one of the Parrot systems. It's much easier than a whole kit.

Last edited: